1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much shooting can these guns withstand? I've always heard that alloy frames were useful for guns that you carried a lot, and shot a little. Well, how little? I'm not planning on doing IPSC matches, or putting 10,000 rounds a year through it, but I generally shoot about 100 rounds every couple of weeks. Would I be better off going with the steel frame with this kind of schedule, or would the alloy frame hold up just as well?

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you search around I know you'll find some other responses. My personal experience was with a Kimber. I put 4,000 rounds through it over a period of a few years. Many other parts broke, but the frame barely showed wear. I'm such a believer in the concept I had wilson build me a lightweight Professional. That gun is pretty new and has less than 1,000 rounds through it, so it's not much of a testimony to the durability....yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alloy Frames...

Paulee,

Probably the nicest Wilson pistol I've ever seen/held was a Lt. Wt. Professional with a bobtail. It was finished in black armor tuff, had black hex head grip screws, black micarta gator grips and felt like it was meant to be in my hand.

If I were to change anything on that pistol it would be to add a short trigger (in black) and to add Novak bar-dot sights. That gun still talks to me in my sleep.

Remember, Wilson pistols have a lifetime guarantee. If something goes wrong with it, they will warranty it for life.

I truly believe Wilson is the best out there. Order your lt. wt. pistol, you will be satisfied.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
"Molon Labe!"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but to the above poster, why not go with the steel and not have to worry about anything? It is true that Wilson has a lifetime warranty should it ever break though. My prof. is steel as is my cqb elite. With the proper holster and belt setup the weight means nothing. I forget that I even have my elite on most of the time. I use a MS VM2. I doubt there are many people however that will shoot an alloy frame into warranty issues. That is a lot of rounds, especially +p's which the 1911 was not designed to shoot(especially in a shortened slide)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but to the above poster, why not go with the steel and not have to worry about anything? It is true that Wilson has a lifetime warranty should it ever break though. My prof. is steel as is my cqb elite. With the proper holster and belt setup the weight means nothing. I forget that I even have my elite on most of the time. I use a MS VM2. I doubt there are many people however that will shoot an alloy frame into warranty issues. That is a lot of rounds, especially +p's which the 1911 was not designed to shoot(especially in a shortened slide)

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. I usually carry a lightweight bobtail, but due to some holster issues recently have been carrying an all steel 1911 for the last month or so. In my experience, 7 oz is a big deal. I just can't wait till I get my issues resolved and get back to my lightweight. Note that I carry OWB exclusively and it may be a different story if you carry IWB.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree 100% with Tim K. I highly prefer alloy for a carry gun. My stainless steel 4 inch and 5 inchers are more than I like for everyday carry. I've been carrying for ten years IWB and OWB. The steel 5 inch 10mm is fine on a long hike but for everyday urban carry the alloy is so much more practical for me.
I carry a Defender most often and hope to buy a 4 inch alloy Wilson as well.
It is practical to have a steel and an alloy pistol to distibute the wear and tear at the range but if you are new to carrying a 1911, a two thousand dollar plus gun is an expensive way to discover that the steel gun weighs too much for daily carry and then have to still buy a lightweight. Just my opinion. Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wilson Professional Lt Wt Alloy, bobtailed commander in black

I just love my Lt Wt Bobtailed commander. It goes with me everywhere.

JS

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
At only 100 rounds every couple of weeks I think an alloy would be fine. Just replace the recoil spring as Wilson recommends and don't use +Ps' and it will last a long time. Decades.

G

·
I have a Stealth Lightweight and have shot it for years with ZERO issues. One thing to keep in mind with Wilson you have a Lifetime warranty. Shoot the HELL out of it and if you have any issues of any kind, send it back and they will make it right!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts