1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of coming close to buying a WC CQB (even canceling one on order because it was taking so incredibly long to ship), I found one in a local gunshop -- nice pistol, black over OD. Once in my hands it never left until the paperwork was in front of me and I needed to fill out the forms; it really felt good. Anyhow, it's all done but the (10 day) waiting.

I didn't walk in to buy another gun. Just went in to say hi and see if they had any older S&W revolvers. Then another guy noted the Wilson, my attention shifted and I refocused. Normally I wouldn’t consider buying a pistol without putting it down and thinking twice about what else I could do with 2 Grand; but I’d already been down this road and it was now or never time.

Anything I should know before I pick it up? Does it need to be cleaned and lubed before it goes to the range; or can I put a hundred rounds through it before it goes home? Break-in -- anything like my LB TRS? Geez, I hope not.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
My Wilson Classic came clean and lubed. Just take a peek to make sure yours is that way then I would shoot it.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
As I recall, the manual said you shouldn't clean or disassemble the pistol before break-in.

·
Registered
841 Posts
call me anal but i think you should take it home and watch the video it comes with. Then do the strip and clean and lube. That's just me. You don't want to put any undue stress on any parts and you'll want to get some of that Ultima Lube Grease!

Just take a gander at the videos that come with the gun, Bill Wilson does a very informative overview. Also go through all the literature that comes with the gun, its very good reading!

the CQB is not built as tight as the TRS - its fitted perfectly and the bushing isn't on there too tight at all (thank god) so... you'll see.

OH and CONGRATS! enjoy your CQB!!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congrats!!

I would take it to the range on the way home and have fun!

I shot 420 rounds through mine before doing anything else. I can tell you that my CQB has NEVER had a malfunction! Just use recommended ammo, and you should be fine.

I'm not sure what you had to go through with your TRS during "break-in", hopefully it goes a little better with the CQB.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Congrats...riverdog...you will love it...I do not think Wilsons are quite as tight as Baers and that is a good thing...yet they are just as accurate and well fitted...as for the break in...I would look to make sure it has some lube on it eventhough you know it does...I would shoot about 100 thru it before disassembly and then take it apart and grease it myself before putting the rest of the hundreds of break in rounds thru it...but that is just what I would do and most folks would probably disagree with taking it apart so soon...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. My motivation for acting compulsively had a lot to do with new gun laws which will take effect in Jan 04 and Jan 05. First makers will need to have a loaded chamber indicator and then a magazine disconnect. The loaded chamber indicator I've already seen in a 1911 and its no big deal; the magazine disconnect is another animal entirely. The trigger is central to making a 1911 so sweet and it seems to me this will require a major trigger mod. (funny, back in the early 80's I gave my BHP to a LEO in MD to do some trigger work and the first thing he did was to remove the mag disconnect because "if you're ever in a fight you may need the bullet in your barrel while you're changing mags". Not an exact quote but close enough from a guy who saw the elephant daily.)

I can see shops like WC finally forgetting CA as a customer base due to the redesign required to get a magazine disconnect in there. It's not a simple fix and CA 1911's will never be the same. So I bought mine now.

As for shooting before going home: I'll take some stuff with me and as with my TRS, I'll check the pistol for obstructions and overall function, then shoot and lube as necessary to put a hundred rounds through it. I've already got the videos, shop insisted I take them with me. I'll see what they have to offer and alter my plans accordingly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My recollection ...

Is that Wilson recommends putting 500 rounds through it before stripping or anything. This is based on their testing and fitting it, and wanting the wear to commence correctly consistent with the work they did to fit it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: My recollection ...

Doug M. said:
Is that Wilson recommends putting 500 rounds through it before stripping or anything. This is based on their testing and fitting it, and wanting the wear to commence correctly consistent with the work they did to fit it.
opps, damn, I didn't do that when I first got my CQB. I just pulled the lit that came with it and I just read the part where it said to fire at least 200rds before field stripping... :eek: oh well, its way too late now.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Real men don't read instructions! :dope:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but ...

I think I read that on this forum (or maybe Wilson's when they had one on their old site), not in the literature that came with the gun. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Instructions are with the gun at the shop -- waiting. Meanwhile, I watched both videos. Bill Wilson recommended shooting "a couple hundred rounds" before stripping/cleaning/lubing. I'll go with this recommendation and shoot 200 rounds before going home.

Along the lines of the video, a lot of time was spent pushing the superiority of Ultima-Lube Grease/Oil. So what's the story here? The way he describes it sounds very similar to SFR Grease -- Lithium based with a metal treatment which significantly reduces friction. I may buy a 10cc Ultima-Lube Grease Syringe and compare the two. I really like the way the syringe applied the grease to the rails -- very controlled; I normally apply grease with a brush and usually apply too much.

Any comments on Ultima-Lube?

G

·
I like the Ultima Lube. Sure it's probably some other brand re-packaged and all the claims of bonding to the metal I'm not to sure about, not at the temperature range a handgun operates under anyway.

Anyway I love the dispensers, I love it that you can put a tiny bit just exactly where you want it. I like using the grease more than the oil but there are several places that I feel I must use the oil.

This stuff goes a LONG way.

In my opinion it's worth the $$.

BTW when I ordered 1 syringe of each from Wilson it was on my door the next day.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I called WC and ordered a syringe of Ultima-Lube Grease and three more 47D's. Can't have too many mags :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try following the recommendations, but it may not run 100%. I couldn't get 100 rounds ( I think it was) through my CQB, FTF/FTE were very high, cleaned it and it ran much better, now it is fine. The Protector, I cleaned and lubed the rails and it was perfect. Was the CQB little tight, extra dirt, I don't know. Either way, congratulations, a fine weapon!

Michael

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I first got my CQB I cleaned it and lubed it up with ultima grease. Went to the range and blasted 150rounds of Winchester "Q" white box 230gr. NOT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION. To this day my CQB has NEVER had a malfunction. The only malfunction has been trying to drop the slide to load a round into the chamber. Sometimes the round would get "caught". Not sure why that happened...

But as far as FTE, FTF, or FTRTB, etc... none. The gun works and I trust my life to it. I put 100 rounds of PowRball as well through it w/o a hitch. I put 100 rounds of RA45T w/o a hitch.

Let us know how yours works. Good luck, be safe!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you explain the magazine disconnect law that will go in effect here in Commiefornia? I'm worried...:mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts