1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Wilson CQB last week and after reading the material (watching the videos) decided to take it to the range to break it in. Over two days this week I shout 300 rounds through the gun and it had some FTF problems that surprised me. I could use some advice/experience. Anyway, here's what happened.

Day One: (150 rounds)

The first 50 rounds were Federal AE 230g FMJ and fed without a hitch. The second box of 50 was Winchester "white box" 230g FMJ and it also fed without a problem. The 3rd box of 50 was another box of Federal American Eagle 230g FMJ and a few really had problems loading/feeding - the first rounds, mid rounds, & last rounds in the magazine (I use #47D wilson mags and rotated the mags to try to rule them out of the equation).

Day Two: (150 rounds)

First 50 rounds, Winchester "white" box 230g FMJ, no problems.
Second 50 rounds, CCI Blazer 230g FMJ, 2-3 ftf's.
Third 50 rounds, Federal AE 230g FMJ, constant feed issues. Mostly it seemed to struggle on feeding the first round in the magazine both by pulling the slide back and by using the slide release only.

Here's my concern, I've put 300 rounds through this gun and 150 rounds have been Federal American Eagle 230g FMJ which was the TOP recommended ball ammo in Wilson's manual. However, my gun has struggled mightily on 2 of the 3 boxes (all but the first box).

Ironically, the non-recommended ammo has performed better...:confused:

Any of you experienced anything like this?
Recommendations?
Anything I might be doing wrong?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Okay, well, you have not gotten through the Break-in Period yet, right? Get through the Break-in Period, then worry. That is why the break-in period is there. After break-in, calling Wilson is fair game. You can call now, but they will professionally placate you and you will agree to finish the break-in, then field strip your gun, clean it, and return to the range and then you will find magically (hopefully) that all is wonderful. Don't laugh. I does happen.

Ironically, every one of my Wilsons does great with Blazer.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
A:
You forgot to mention just how accurate your new CQB is! Anyway, I have some CobraTripp mags that we can try in your CQB next time you go to the range. These mags will fit in your CQB and look great...especially in pistols with a speed chute installed.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
AOSTHED, how experienced a shooter are you? It sounds like shooter fatigue might be a factor. On each day, the gun fed the first fifty rounds w/o a problem. On the first day, you only had problems crop up during the third box of ammo. On the second day, you started having problems during the 2nd box, leading into major problems on the third.

Sometimes, the nervous system just starts saying, "No" to the body subconciously. Hopefully, you're using a two-handed hold. Most people using a two-hand hold tend to use the isosceles. Try the modified Weaver stance, keeping the strong-side elbow slightly bent and the support-hand elbow turned down toward the centerline of the body; keeping a "push-pull" isometric tension on the hands.

If you are a veteran shooter, disregard.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Andy said:
AOSTHED, how experienced a shooter are you? It sounds like shooter fatigue might be a factor. On each day, the gun fed the first fifty rounds w/o a problem. On the first day, you only had problems crop up during the third box of ammo. On the second day, you started having problems during the 2nd box, leading into major problems on the third.
It would be interesting to see if you mixed the order where the Federal AEs weren't the last box fired for the day if it changed the outcome...

Just as Andy pointed out, it does seem strange that it happens on the last box for the day...:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
It might be a tight gun and as it fouls up its just getting tighter. It should loosen up as you shoot it and get better, just keep it cleaned and lubed until then. Even if it's shooter fatigue the gun should stop malfunctioning because of it as it loosens up and operates more feely.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies... It really helps to get your viewpoints.

There seems to be some good advice. I'd planned to finish the break-in, field strip & clean, and try another box of Federal AE's through it.

I'm not terribly familiar with 1911's (this is my first one to own although I've shot them before), but I am fairly experienced shooting 9mm & .40 cal. I've put at least 5,000 rounds downrange through my other two guns (mostly the 9mm) in the last 2 years. It could be shooter fatigue but the feed problem occured most (probably 5:1) on chambering the first round of the clip. I thought it could have been me when I was drawing the slide, but I also tried chambering the first round by dropping the slide lock and it didn't make a difference. I've shot about 3,000 rounds through my 9mm (Beretta 92FS) without a single problem.

After reading the comments, I think it may be that everything is just tight and once I've had the opportunity to strip & clean and the break-in is complete... We'll see what happens.

KB: I didn't want to sound like I was bragging, that's why I didn't tell everyone how accurate the gun was... :D It let me know that if I wasn't as accurate as I wanted to be I couldn't blame the gun.

The gun was awesome! At 25 yards (KB, isn't that about as far back as the range goes?) I put 8 rounds dead center in a 2.5" group (which for me is quite good - KB can verify the "fishing story" - hehe). KB was with me the first day and he also had a try with the gun... His first two rounds at about 20 feet were dead center about .25" apart. We actually looked like we knew what we were doing! :D

Anyway, thanks again and I welcome additional feedback.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
FYI, my first couple had issues in the first 100 or so rounds and then things were fine. My last one had problems with good ammo up until the first cleaning and now is great, outside of operator error. So in my case, I had a magic changeover and I have about 1100 through that gun now. Also FYI, I have near 50K through the first CQB, about 5K through the second. I am biased about the product. If the gun does not come clean after break in, give them a call and they should do you fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update

I thought those of you who read through the thread might like an update. Here goes:

Day Three -

- 1 box (50 rnds) Federal American Eagle. 230 gr. FMJ.
No ftf/fte's.
- 1 box (50 rnds) Winchester "White" (Q label) 230 gr. FMJ's.
No ftf/fte's.
- 1 box (50 rnds) Federal American Eagle. 230 gr. FMJ.
***4 FTF's ***

Although I did experience 4 FTF's on both the intial rounds and a couple of mid-mag while shooting, it does seem the frequency is decreasing. On Day Two, some of the FTF's were very frequent and despite the bullet showing no visible wear it would have problems chambering the initial round...

***Round Count*** 450

Day Four -

- 1 box (50 rnds) Winchester "White" (Q label) 230 gr. FMJ's.
***2 FTF's *** (both on first rounds of mags)

***Break In Complete*** (500 total rounds)
- 250 rnds (5 boxes) Federal American Eagle. 230 gr. FMJ's.
- 200 rnds (4 boxes) Winchester "White" (Q label). 230 g. FMJ's.
- 50 rnds (1 box) CCI Blazer. 230 g. FMJ's

I plan to field strip and clean the pistol today and get out to the range sometime next week (if time permits).

Despite the FTF's the gun shoots remarkably well. Groupings are very tight and the gun is a pleasure to shoot. To sum up, it seemed the the FTF's began occurring around 150 rounds, peaked at about 250 rounds, and has tapered down since. At one point and time it took me several trys to chamber a round, but that has decreased significantly.

I think the break in has done much for the FTF's and I'll post results as the follow...

M

·
0 Posts
Please explain FTF to me. To me it simply means failure to fire, BUT why is it failing to fire?

Is this failure to return to battery?

Or does the gun go into battery and the firing pin just does not drop?

Exactly what failure are you experiencing?

Sounds to me like your CQB just does not like American Eagle ammo........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
FTF is Failure to Feed

I may be wrong but...

FTF - Failure to Feed

FTE - Failure to Eject

At least that is how I'm using them... acronyms are a pain in the can, aren't they?

:)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
FTF=failure to feed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mowerman response

Mowerman,

By Failure to Feed (FTF), the gun either:

a) was not able to properly feed/chamber the initial round from the clip. I tried both methods Wilson recommends in the book - pulling and releasing the slide with a full magazine in the gun, and inserting a full magazine with the slide retracted, then release the slide on the new magazine.

b) while firing, in the middle of a magazine the gun would not properly chamber the next round. It would jam in the ejector port (the new unfired round, NOT the spent case).

It experienced problems on all the ammo (mostly on the Federal American Eagle - the recommended ball ammo by Wilson).

Hope the answered your question.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you cleaning the CQB after each range session? If not, that may be the problem. My CQB has never had any malfunctions with Fed A.E or any other factory ammo (1,200 rounds) but after 200 rounds, it won't always function with handloads & the slide is noticeably sluggish. It is a very tightly fitted gun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts