1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I haven't taken out my CQB in a long time and today when I went I had some problems :mad:

I probably only put 250rds through it so far and today I could only do 150. I used MAGTECH 230gr FMJ. The first 50 went fine. But when I got to the second box I could NEVER drop the slide to load a round into the chamber! It was weird. I had to "rack the slide" to load it. When I tried to drop the slide the round would almost "stove pipe" in a way. Like trying to feed in. I would either have to rack the slide to clear the jam or drop the mag to let the slide fly forward.

Is this a mag issue you think? I'm using #47D's. Or is it because I still need to "break it in". OR is it the cheap MAGTECH ammo? I blasted 20 rounds of PowRball w/o a hitch. 30 rounds of Ranger-T went fine but still could not drop the slide...

Thoughts??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My guess is this is ammo related. Try some quality ammo and see what happens.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Its the Ammo

Its the MagTech Ammo. The overall length of them are to long for correct feeding. And they tend to vary from box to box. Use some good quality ammo with a OAL of 1.25"

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like the ammo to me...

Your gun should have came with a letter from Wilson describing their recommended ammo. In it they also describe what they consider "good" ball round specs:

Just in case you don't have it...

1.250" to 1.260" OAL

.468" to .470" taper crimp at the case mouth

800-850 FPS Muzzle Velocity

Tight bullet to case fit so that the OAL does not change after feeding into the chamber

I'd try some other quality ball rounds, like S&B or Federal American Eagle (I use American Eagle, no problems).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll try some better ammo. I just have a case of Magtech so... And it was cheap stuff.

Does using "cheap" ammo that isn't up to spec "hurting" the CQB?

Have you tried Winchester "white box" through your CQB?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
ol1911:
Most quality factory ammo should function fine. I have used the Winchester "White" box as well as Federal Eagle "Red" box ammunition without any problems.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ol1911 said:
Ok, I'll try some better ammo. I just have a case of Magtech so... And it was cheap stuff.

Does using "cheap" ammo that isn't up to spec "hurting" the CQB?

Have you tried Winchester "white box" through your CQB?

Thanks guys.
The issue isn't really that you might be hurting your gun, rather you may experience reliability problems (which you did it seems) :)

The recommended list is what Wilson Combat will guarantee reliable feeding in their guns. Straying off the list won't necessarily mean it won't feed either. Just gotta try different rounds.

Seems to me that each gun is particular about what type of rounds it'll feed reliably. What's clear is that your gun doesn't like Magtech. Give the Winchesters a try. If you can find Federal American Eagle, try that too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went back to the range and blasted 150 rounds of Winchester "white" box. Not a single malfunction. I guess the CQB doesn't like MAGTECH ammo.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bad night at the range (my SA TRP Op broke as well)... i bought the 100rd value pack of "white box" and had a few FTF's. Slide could not drop and load chamber and had two FTF's on the last round --- stovepipe on the 8th round - using #47D mags.

I then had one box of "Q" white box and all 50rds went fine.

I don't get it - is the value pack and "Q" series different somehow?

I ran 40rounds of my old stock PowRball (I think this stuff is from Feb 2002 as it looks like it was meant for Gun writers) and it all fed / fired fine. Its a snappy round for sure. I then bought 4 boxes of the "new" PowRball (man the stuff is expensive!) and I have declared it my carry round. Maybe one day I'll go back to RA45T.

Anyway - thoughts? Should I email Wilson about the ammo issue or is it not even worth the time...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have no experience with Winchester 45 ammo as I reload nearly all of my 45. Conversely I buy all my 9mm and have found the value packs of 9mm to be not as consistant as the regular white box rounds. I've never had a feed problem with them though, but my rattly Hi Power may be more forgiving of out of spec cartridges than your Wilson.

Last round stovepipes are usually magazine problems, while first round feed problems can likely be traced to extractor issues. It souns like your gun is fairly new, so I'd doubt the mag springs were worn. Might want to check you extractor tension as it may be tight... there are several FAQ's by gunsmiths on how to do this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The whole "approved ammo" rebutal to FTF is a lame cop out. My glocks, HKs and 1911's will fire any 45 ammo. I shoot all types of reloads in my 1911s and I never had a FTF due to ammo.
Wilson is a high end 1911 it should fire any 45 ammo.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I've got some IMI 230-gr. ball I'll let you have cheap!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts