1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, before I get the usual response, let me say that I am fully aware that the decision on which gun to buy should be based upon intended use. That having been said, here is my problem. I really want a CQB to round out my 1911 collection. I carry everyday with my police department and have several compact Baers, Colts, Para's and Kimbers. However, aside from departmental qualifications, most of my shooting is at a local range with my full size versions of guns from the same manufacuters. While at the range, I am more interested in pin point accuracy and shooting comfort than I am in carry comfort. Therefore, the difference between a gun guaranteed to shoot 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards and one that shoots 1.0 inch groups is a consideration. I like my compacts, but I have always shot much better with a full size 1911 and have, on some occasions carried a full size with no problem. I'd like to hear from some CQB owners about their preference between the two models and their shooting impressions with regard to accuracy and recoil of each pistol. I hope this is not asking too much.

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
From what you state, there is only one answer and it is the correct answer for a couple of reasons. You want the full-sized CQB. The full size offers the 1.0" in accuracy plus gives you the longer sight radius which makes the gun a little easier to aim and keep on target for precision shooting.

I own both and to be honest with you, the difference in accuracy is such that I shoot nowhere close to the potential of either gun. The compact model shoots fine and feels much like a normal full-sized gun, in part because it weighs as much as some full-sized 1911s and partly because the cone barrel puts a lot of the weight up front and so perceived recoil is similar to a full-sized gun as opposed to an officer's or commander-sized guns with normal barrels.

Feel free to email me and I can share some other insights that might be of interest to you that may or may not affect you decision. I have kept shooting records on both guns with 13K on the full-size and 2K on the Compact.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Bought a Compact. After owning it for about 6 months I bought a full size. Answer your question?

My compact is so accurate and smooth shooting. You'd love it. But given your stated use, I'd go full size. But watch out, you'll probably end up with both before it's all over.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I own both a compact and full size protector, and also recommend you go with the full size 1911. The compact is easier to conceal due to its smaller size, and I choose to carry it (over the full size) when climate/clothing makes concealment more difficult. However, I shoot better with the full size, partly because I enjoy shooting it more (and therefore practice with it more). It is also the gun I want to use when I receive formal training.

Sometimes a smaller gun is needed, and the compact is great to have. But if I had to choose only 1 Wilson, it would be a full size, because I would shoot it more.

Alan

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a compact CQB and a full size Kimber. I like the compact CQB better than the full size Kimber. I have shot my buddy's full size CQB and like it as well as my compact. I will be getting a full size. To answer your question, get both, because if you get one you will probably get the other one sooner or later anyway.

------------------
Mike,
Mike's Sport Shop
http://www.rcvideo.com/users/msmith

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a full size protector in 1998 and love this gun, for me it shoots great, is very easy to conceal and very comfortable to carry using a milt sparks vm2. Well I decided I wanted a protector compact so I bought one 2 months ago and really love this gun, its really amazing the differance 1 inch in length and 1/2 inch in height can make for concealed carry comfort not to mention that I find it very controlable and am able to recover quickly shot after shot using 200 gr hornady XTP +P loads. I'm glad I don't have to choose between one or the other because they are both fine guns but if I did have to choose I would keep the compact..... this gun would serve all my needs and then some in fine style.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
On your choice I have customers who own both. Finance will deteremine that.

I personaly prefer the full size gun but my body configuration and manner of dress will allow for it.

There are some factors you should consider such as the environment you will carry in. Hot-humid, cold-dry. Do you wear suit, casual, are you suffering from the furniture disease as I am starting too, (my chest has sagged to my drawers).

Your hand size. What fits your hand better, full or compact. Daily carry or on occasion.

All factors for your purchase.

Both will shoot well for you. Just be patient and I hope I haven't confused you more

·
Registered
127 Posts
Avoid all the stress involved in the decision process and get one of each. Have Tucker make you a custom rig that carries one strong side and one cross draw weak side. Give it 30 days and see which you reach for most often. Designate that one primary carry choice and problem solved with minimal stress. Kidding aside, I only own one Wilson, a full size Protector I've had for 10 days now. I've had both full and compact size in other makes and went full size first with Wilson. I do eventually want to add a compact although I don't know when finances will allow. Good luck with your decision. Oh, www.tuckergunleather.com is the url and although I was joking about the configuration his is the only way to go for leather rigs. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use the full sized (slightly modified with a FLGR) CQB. I use it for IDPA and it is my first gun to pick up when I just want to shoot. It is a work of art, it shoots better than anything I have ever owned or shot. I love it.

When I need to carry something for concealed defense I pick up my Glock 30, or for better concealment, my Glock 36.

But my favorite gun is the Wilson full sized CQB.

Buy it, you will not regret it!

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts