1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just purchased a Wilson CQB used. It has about 500 rounds through it. When I got it it had a really light recoil spring in it so I replaced it with a 18.5 pound spring. I also replaced the firing pin spring too. I shot some ball 230 grain federal in it with no problems. I then shot some Winchester Ranger 230 SXT through it and on the last round it fails to eject and the brass is really dinged up I mean not reloadable. I looked at the other Winchester brass from the previous rounds and they are fine, no dings or tore up case mouths. I used three other mags to rule out bad mags.

If anyone has experienced this I would be grateful for any ideas of a fix. I'm sitting on about 1500 rounds of this Ranger ammo so I'd really like it if it functioned in my CQB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Ok, I did some searching on this and found some very informative threads from this forum no less.

I cleaned all the magazines (Wilson manufacture) made sure they were just clean and not all gooped up with lube.

I checked the extractor tension with a live round. It was a little sloppy. I tensioned it so it would hold a live round in place if I turned the slide upside down.

I replaced the 18.5 lbs spring with a 17lbs one and added a Wilson 2piece guide rod and shock buff.

Took a long lunch and tried it out with some Winchester 230 gr white box and the 230 Ranger.

Apparently I had tensioned the extractor too much and it would not chamber the 230 grain round nose. A quick trip to the tail gate and I tried it again. Chambered fine.

I shot all the the white box stuff with no problem, no last round brass jam. I tried the Ranger and had no problems until I used one particular mag. It did it again. Jammed the brass. I tried it with another magazine and it was fine.

So, I believe I had two issues. One being a bad magazine. The other was a improperly tensioned extractor. I plan one putting a couple 100 through it in the AM. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good to know it's running smoothly and even better that you fixed it yourself.

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
OP, my te will shoot remington golden saber hp literally 100% reliability, hst say 99.99%...ranger t hp not so much with about 2 failures in 50 rounds....

others on the fourom do well with ranget t.

certain amo will be more sensitive in a gun to older spring etc. not saying your springs are old...for best reliability, change the recoil spring very often before failures start, as well as mag springs.

all the small price we pay for shooting this iconic, best combat pistol ever invented :).

and of course as you note, the extractor needs attention from time to time.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
And my knives have never been sharpened.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Little far into the thread without a single dirty gun picture.

Just saying.

·
Registered
774 Posts
So, I believe I had two issues. One being a bad magazine. The other was a improperly tensioned extractor. I plan one putting a couple 100 through it in the AM. Wish me luck!
Is is possible your one "bad magazine" needs a new magazine spring? Check it - it's a cheap fix and often make a "bad" one a good one. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Range Report

Ok it's GroundHog day here. After I was so proud of myself for "fixin it.".......And feeling so smart....It started doing the bad thing again. Jam up on last round. Jam on last round with every magazine every type of ammo I tried to include some Wilson head-stamp ammo. Winchester White Box, Winchester Ranger, PMP, Federal.

So. I don't think it's the ejector I'm guessing it's the extractor. I have one on the way from Wilson. But since I'm no expert, I'm ready to send it off to Wilson and have them see what the deal is. What is that like?

As for the bad magazine, it runs fine in my friends Kimber as does all the aforementioned ammo. It really sucks to listen to "How much you pay for that?" And the little chuckles too.
My plastic mainspring housing jokes no longer have any effect after today.

This gun does shoot. I mean Its sick at 15 yards, a ragged hole. As for only being shot 500 rounds I think that's about right. It just doesn't have the wear to be much more than that. But obviously, I'm no expert.

·
Registered
774 Posts
.............But since I'm no expert, I'm ready to send it off to Wilson and have them see what the deal is. What is that like?
Send it to Wilson with your magazines - they'll take care of it, turn it around fast and I'm betting you'll be totally glad you did. My experience with Wilson's service has always been fantastic.

Email Jay Smith - [email protected] - and give him a brief description of your issue. They may be closed tomorrow for Veteran's Day but he'll get back to you probably the same work day. Post your results if you send it in.

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
The reason for the last round failure to eject is the round is not being held properly by the extractor, so it falls down into the feed lips area and misses the ejector. The previous rounds were supported by the next round in the mag as they were pulled back, so they did hit the ejector. I would think the extractor may have a bad claw, either as-sold new or by previous owner modification. Does the extractor have a lot of fore/aft play?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your extractor needs retensioning. I assumed you would have read the other thread! :)
I did read that thread. I retensioned it more than once, and it seemed to work for a while. I made sure it held the round like in the video and other threads I read.

As easy as it sounds, I'm afraid I have no skill at this or I wonder if something else is wrong with the extractor. It looks OK but..... Since I bought this used I think I would like to send it to you folks and have it done right. I want to get a couple more extractors pre tensioned for this pistol as spares. Also noticed my night sights are getting a little dim too. Probably need to replace them as well.

So much for saving a few bucks..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts