1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious - I was at the local shop today and noticed a new grey/black CQB. The serial number was pretty low. No tie. It had a single saftey - no speed chute. The frame had a more smooth feel... They wanted $1900...

Now when I bought mine earlier this year I got it for $1720 (IIRC)with the ambi saftey & speed chute. It had the tie on there and the serial # is pretty high. My frame isn't as smooth as the other one...

Why such a price difference? ($180) Mine had the Ambi and speed chute.

Also what about the frames having different texture?

Also the store that is selling the CQB for $1900 told me the Grey/Black finish is "hard to get". I always thought the "Green/Black" was the finish in demand...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Suggested retail is $1895, and I don't know anyone who pays full retail. I'd find another dealer!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
ol1911:
A while back, there were some CQB's that left the shop with serial numbers below 100. These were frames that were being saved for special projects that never came to fruition. You could also ask to see the test target (which they should have), and view the date that the pistol was test fired at the factory. As for the slightly different textures on the Armor-Tuff, this can be attributed to variances in the batch that was mixed when this particular pistol was in production. Sometimes it’s smooth, sometimes it can be more glossy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd walk...find another dealer.

I'm with AZ on this one. The $1895 retail AZ's quoting is the 2003 price with tool steel internals.

If the CQB you're considering was made before 2003 (you said low serial number), it's probably got MIM internals. The MSRP for a CQB before 2003 was around $1795, give or take.

Even if it turns out to have tool steel internals, I'd still walk. You can do better than that...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that store is selling that CQB for $1895.99 and it doesn't even have the tie on it. None of their Wilson Combats do (Tac Elite or Protector). I don't even see the cases. I would not buy any gun from them but I just thought it was funny that they are selling a CQB for $1900 while the store down the street is selling it for $1780 w/more options and the tie is still on.

Goes to show if you don't look around you can end up paying a lot more...the sales guy at the place said, "Hey these are like BMWs man. The demand for them is so high..." I guess they think they can charge full retail or over retail for them... :mad:

·
Registered
462 Posts
You just gotta be a smart shopper...:)

Like you said, gotta shop around...don't cave into temptation.

I'd look at gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com...there's plenty Wilsons for sale, quite a few with ties intact and options out the wazoo...:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not to sound stupid, but,,,,

It's been a while since I visited this web site/forum. I see some of you guys talking about a Wilson "tie". What is that?

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
They're referring to the plastic tie strap that keeps the slide on a new gun from being racked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ahh, that irritating tie.
I looked at a CQB at Turner's 3 months ago & when I said: "I wonder how smooth the action is for this much money" the young salesman just took out his pocket knife & cut it off & handed it back to me. It was the right decision for him 'cause after moving the slide around & trying the trigger, I bought it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts