1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this in the spring this year and have been shooting it on and off.

Initial impression: This gun is built like a tank. I cant get over how solid it is. If you want a 10mm 1911, I suggest this as a starting point. Overall, extremely good job WC!!! I paid just over $2500 at Olde English. Has been 100% since day one. Not sure where this "break-in" stuff got started, but with well maintained magazines, I havent needed to. Very accurate too - it hovers at 0.8" at 18yrds with my LSWC/bullseye combo. Anywho -

Just a great looking gun too.

Big hole in the barrel, plus the WC GI style plug for bull barrels. I am a total convert to this.

As expected, nicely fit an finished on this end.

Thumb safety and grip safety work correctly. However, this particular grip saftey disengages a little latter than most for me, and needs some sensitizing to work for me without issue. Easily fixed. Perfectly fitted grip safety - the best in my stable, as a matter of fact.

Beautifully thoated and polished barrel, which no doubt contributes to its sterling performance.

Here is where the extra coin goes in the semi-custom guns: a polished extractor. Attention to detail like that is why they are $1000 more than a TRP.

The new WC pistols are some of the nicest when it comes to the checkering area.

And I love the WC Speed chute.

Overall, this is a great, solid gun. Lots of attention to detail, and is definitely a change (arguably for the better) in build philosphy over the older style like my CQB.

The closest thing I have to this for comparision is my TRP Op. While the TRP is a great gun - one of my favorites - it really is easy to tell where the extra money went. Thats not saying puting the money in the TRP wouldnt get you just as nice a gun, as it would. I like the new style WC checkering and undercutting better than the older.

Also, this gun is significantly tighter than my CQB. In fit and finish, it is exactly half way between my CQB and my Supergrade, FWIW.

Observations and thoughts: WC makes and installs the best extractors. Fit and finish is the best. The current grip safetys are comparable to the LBs, and are a cut above the EBs. EB finishes their guns the best. I like the combat pyrmids best too. Bright, and they draw my eye to the front sight. WC is my current favorite shop. In the world of boutique 1911s, they are, arguably, the best. They strike a very delicate balance between style, fit, finish, accuracy, reliability, and CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!! Thankfully, I havent had to send any of my 1911s (from anyone) back, but I have ordered stuff from WC, and have always been taken care of.

The current Armor Tuff is just that, tough. And slick.

This is my current bedstand gun, with a surefire light.

Wilson Combat: You set the bar pretty high with these guns. I am expecting excellent results with my new CQB Elite. Like timed screws. ;)

ETA: I would prefer ball cuts on the slide for railed guns.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
blr,
Great write up! I definitely need to do the 5k rd report on my CQB...One of these days...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Beautiful, was on the fence about getting one those.

How well do you shoot with the wilson fixed sights vs the springer trp op adj sights?? Pros cons? I also have a trp op, and I don't know if I can live without adj sights. :biglaugh::biglaugh: I know, fixed sights sell ten to one, but you gotta go with what works (for me). Don't flame the new guy:):):)

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Beautiful, was on the fence about getting one those.

How well do you shoot with the wilson fixed sights vs the springer trp op adj sights?? Pros cons? I also have a trp op, and I don't know if I can live without adj sights. :biglaugh::biglaugh: I know, fixed sights sell ten to one, but you gotta go with what works (for me). Don't flame the new guy:):):)
You can order our guns with adjustable sights.....:)

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you noticed any wear or anything of that nature?
Took yesterday off to go hunting. :)

None. Aside from normal wear on the finish from holsters, there is no wear on the gun at all. For that matter, there is no wear on any of my 1911s other than finish wear.

buck-boost: I wouldnt worry about adj. sights. They really dont get you much on a 1911 over excellent fixed sights like the combat pyramids. And WC does one of the best jobs (for me) of regulating them.

I strongly recomend the CQB Tactical LE. After a few thousand more rounds, this will become the 4th gun in my "short list".

I am hoping my new CQB Elite will make that list too. ;)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've only handled wilsons with fixed sights, never fired one. That's good to know that they are where they should be from the start. No hope is necessary, its sure thing.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have one too

I think I handled your's at the store. One thing I'll say, GET SOME BORETECH SOLVENT AND CLEAN THAT FOULING FROM YOUR BARREL!:)

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I handled your's at the store. One thing I'll say, GET SOME BORETECH SOLVENT AND CLEAN THAT FOULING FROM YOUR BARREL!:)
Not going to happen. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts