1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a full size Wilson as my first 1911 style handgun, to be used for non-competition target shooting and self-defense. Since I am not sure how the CQB and Protector models differ, I need some help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,635 Posts
Iceman, The CQB and the Protector are basically identical except for the finishes and guide rods. The CQB has green frame and black slide (Armor Tuff), with standard guide rod and plug. The Protector has stainless frame and black Armor Tuff slide, with full length guide rod. The Protector can also be had in all black or stainless. My friend just put both his CQB and Protector because he bought a Springfield TRP Professional (FBI Bureau SWAT gun). I bought the Protector and another friend bought the CQB. We compared them side by side along with the specs sheets, they have the same accessories and trims. You can't go wrong with either, but I think the all stainless Protector is probably the easiest to take care, you don't have to worry about the Armor Tuff paint coming off from holster use, and they will wear off.

G

·
Go with the Protector, it does not have the nylon spring guide, instead has a full lenth gd rod. The basic Protector does not have a SS frame but a carbon one, the SS frame w/AT top is the Two tone Protector, Having BEEN ther and DONE that I would go with the Protector line, in any finish. Before you buy please contact Terry Peters @ P/T Partners, he is Wilsons top Dealer guru, he will not BS you!SC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Iceman-You just can't go wrong with a Wilson 1911...GREAT choice...I personally prefer the Protector of the two;bought mine last Christmas as a new carry piece & have shot 1000 plus rounds so far with nary a failure.Great accuracy...shoots Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr. the best of anything factory I've tried which delighted me as that's my preferred round anyway.Be sure & tell us of your purchase! Regards.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also have the Wilson Protector this gun has close to 20,000 rounds through it and is still tight.It will shoot 1in.groups from a bench at 15 yds with several different handloads,both hollowpoints and lead swc it would probably do better but that is about the best I can do.This gun has been reliable with everything I have put through it.I use it for self defense and IDPA.The ArmorTuff finish is great but Hard Chrome would probably be more durable. BILLG

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that the Protector is the way to go, and Terry Peters the way to get there. I greatly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Originally posted by Iceman:
It appears that the Protector is the way to go, and Terry Peters the way to get there. I greatly appreciate the advice.
Iceman, I concur with this statement. In fact, I plan on buying a Protector from Terry Peters as soon as I can get a few bucks saved up!

Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a Protector and the only differece between my gun and the CQB is the guide rod and mine is all black compared to the OD green frame of the CQB. The gun is perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am at the point of purchasing either the CQB or the Protector. I see that all of you that have responded to this thread (so far) have given the nod in favor of the protector.

the only reason for this favoring of the Protector seem to be as follows:
- stainless steel finish option
- becuase of the fact that the Protector has the full length guide rod and the CQB has the nylon spring guide

are there any other reasons?

what is the difference between the full length and the nylon spring?

Have any of you shot both the CQB and the Protector, and after doing so still give the nod in favor of the Protector?

AUG - If I buy a Protector, I would definitly want it in all black, like you have. Do you have a picture (or 2) of your Protector that you could post here or send me?

I appreciate any information. A Wilson is an expensive but wise investment. I just want to make the right decision.

Rick

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rick -- I purchased a Protector a couple of months ago, and although it initially had some problems, Wilson's was very responsive and I'm extremely pleased with both their product and their service. However, my protector was one of the last they had in stock. At that time, the wait for a new one was 12-14 weeks. If you want one right away, please check with Terry Peters at P & T Partners. He gave me excellent advice and direction that helped me with my purchase decision. According to his on-line inventory, he has several in stock. According to Wilson's web site, they do have some light-weight Protectors in their stock, but no "regular" steel guns.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rick, BTW, my wife grew up in North Haledon, which is pretty close to Wyckoff. I've visited the area several times, and I really like it there, especially all of the beautiful forrested hills.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't know if you're interested or not but someone is auctioning a Wilson Protector at AuctionArms. The address for the auction is http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=496558.0 . Of course, it seems like most of these auctions that have a reserve price want way to much for the item. If you are going to bid on this pistol, just remember what the retail price is and don't go over. If they want retail price you might as well get it direct from Wilsons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tetley - Yeah, North Haledon is the next town over from me. it is a nice place to live. California is much better I hear, when it comes to nature
. Glad to hear you are happy with your Protector.

Paten - thanks for the lead on the Protector. I am looking into it. that auction site is really cool...

I was at a gunshop today, and the dealer there was trying to steer me away from a wilson, saying that I am just paying for the name. then he presented me with some no name 1911. I have never actually shot a wilson to know for sure, but I have to believe that they are worth the money right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is P-T Partners no longer carrying Wilson Combat? I was just visiting their site (which looks to be recently updated), and it looks like they removed Wilson from their lineup.

What's up?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Was just over at P-T's and they have Wilson in their inventory still.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Terry still carries a full line of Wilson products. I just visited his site a second ago. Hmmmm, I wonder what you guys are looking at????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts