1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the extractor side, right in front on the firing pin stop, there is a small crack or tear in the slide. It is small and doesnt appear ot penetrate very deep into the metal, but it is there and has me concerned. It originates from the extractor side groove for the firing pin stop (the groove the firing pin stop slides into) and goes towards the ejection port about 1/4". Id try take a picture of it, but doubt it would show up on the crappy digital pics that our camera takes. Im wondering if this is something that just happens, or if I should be concerned (which I am). Also, would it be possible to have a gunsmith weld a bead over it and then grind the weld down? Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Could be quite fixable...

What brand/model are we talking about?
What metal (blue/stainless)?
Any custom work that may have contributed?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, parkerized carbon steel. I have had a trigger job done and installed a Wilson Combat Shok-Buff full-length guide rod and 18# spring, and a Wilson Combat extended ambi safety. The Shok-Buff kit also came with an extra power firing pin return spring, which I installed. The full-length guide rod has a Wilson Combat Shok-Buff recoil buffer (6 were included) installed on it, also. I have heard from many sources that the stock 16# spring is fine for standard loads and light loads, but a heavier spring (i.e. 18#) should be used for max loads or hot handloads. Being as how I use max loads (not +P) I opted for the 18# spring included with the kit. The gun has had less than 500 rounds through it, but I think that the trigger job and Wilson Combat accessories voided the warranty. Would any knowledgable pistolsmith be capable of fixing this?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
rborensr said:
Its a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, ...The gun has had less than 500 rounds through it, but I think that the trigger job and Wilson Combat accessories voided the warranty.
Contact Springfield! Springfield's policy regarding modifications to the gun and warranty are such that as long as whatever failed wasn't directly caused by the modificaton, its covered under the warranty. As an example...if you had a trigger job done to the original hammer/sear and the sear failed....more then likely that would not be covered....however if you had a trigger job done and the barrel bushing broke...it would be covered.

I'm not Springfield...but this is based on previous conversations I've had with Deb/Vickie/Dave at Springfield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if they wont fix it you can ship it to me and i will weld it for free. i do alot of welding for my local smith all the time. let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Assuming you're talking about TIG welding it up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts