1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a shooting session last week my buddy and I were cleaning our pistols. I was looking his over (a Colt 1991A1) and noticed a crack in the lower left corner of his firing pin stop (the place they usually crack). The crack is superficial at this time. Without a whole lot of thought I suggested to him that he get a replacement.

Now that I've given it some thought, I can't seem to think of what bad thing is going to happen, even if the firing pin stop cracks all the way through to the firing pin hole. Once the crack makes its way through to the firing pin hole it will stop, and I wouldn't expect any more cracking to take place. Of course, if another crack develops then we would have a problem, as the part would eventually break in two.

Can anyone elaborate on this issue?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Right on target

"Of course, if another crack develops then we would have a problem, as the part would eventually break in two."

edit: hit the wrong key too soon.
It's the second crack that is the big problem, the first is the start.

Replacement is the correct way to go.

Regards,
Kur

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Once the crack makes its way through to the firing pin hole it will stop, and I wouldn't expect any more cracking to take place.
While the hole will probably arrest the crack, the fact that the stop cracked to begin with indicates the part was too hard, was flawed or fatigued. In any event, the crack is a warning to replace the part before it fails at the least convenient moment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
having done a considerable amount of dry firing , one of the things i discovered is that a mim or cast firing pin stop will eventually crack , break , & sometimes just fall out of the gun. i'm not aware of any of the machined from billet , fitted firing pin stops breaking. just one man's experience.:)

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to install a fitted FP stop to me.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
having done a considerable amount of dry firing , one of the things i discovered is that a mim or cast firing pin stop will eventually crack , break , & sometimes just fall out of the gun. i'm not aware of any of the machined from billet , fitted firing pin stops breaking. just one man's experience.:)
Even a machined from bar stock fp stop will crack if the ejector cut out does not have a radius in the corner. (not as fast of course :) )

So, it should be hardened, if they are soft, I.E under 44 rc they will peen and the fP will start to drag. And yes Too hard, not sure what that is but clearly heat treated and not tempered would be brittle.

geo

www.egw-guns.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts