1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wasted half a day and $30. I bought a new grip safety for my Kimber, a unit advertised in Brownells similar to an Ed Brown safety. Well, I guess I should have bought the Brown unit instead. I spent ages trying to get it to go into the frame, trying to find out where it was hanging up. Eventually I discovered why it wouldn't go in- it was warped! Since I filed on it, no returno so into the trash can it went. :mad:

Reinstalled my Kimber safety, decided to slip on the Baer MS housing I just bought. Immediately I noticed the grip safety was catching on something. I quickly discovered the hammer strut was rubbing the side of the channel inside the grip safety. Yup, the mainspring hole in the housing is drilled slightly off-center! So I had to file material off the grip safety channel to eliminate the binding. :mad: :mad:

Apparently I have to be really careful about the parts I buy from now on, because the aftermarket parts out there are just as bad as the cheap ones they hang on new guns at the factory. No wonder so many new 1911s don't work. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
same thing last week

I just went through a 2 1/2-3 hour install last week on the same type of part. Mine wasn't warped just the hole for the pin was way off and needed a lot of hand fitting to get it to fit. I guess I ended up better than you though mine I got to fit properly eventually. But I ended up cold blueing some of the inner surfaces on to finish it back to where it should have looked. All is well now and it looks great just shouldn't have been that difficult.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Dana, I feel your pain.
I have at one time or another, had some sort of problem with pretty much every 1911 part on the market. Life works like that, if you stay with something long enough. I have found both Brownells and the "name" parts producers to be very fair about standing behind the products, whether I found the problem while the part was new in the bag, or when I was half way through fitting the part. Beavertails are especially tough. I've probably had to work around more problems there, with most every brand I've used, than any other part of the gun.
Not to put my nose into your business, but I'd suggest that you consider sending the part back to Brownells, if it is warped. I've always found them to be extremely fair. You can't get those half-days back, but the beavertail shouldn't be so hard.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
DSK, I hate to see you loose your time and money, give Brownells a call I'm pretty sure they will swap out an out of spec. part even though you started to fit it.
Which company made the bad part?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts