1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy some powder for some light and accurate 9mm and .45 loads. I've got 200gr LSWC, and 147 and 125 LRN all from Mo Bullet. I won't need to make PF right off the bat, but need to be above 120 since I want to give Bianchi a try.. Mainly looking for fun light loads.

I've read, and read, and read and I've settled on the below 2 to try first. There seems to be data for my bullets, and I've read they should meter well in my LnL.

W231 or hogdon equiv
PowerPistol for the 147gr

I'll start at the minimum and work up testing in a couple different guns.

I just want to double check my thinking with some more experienced reloaders. If I should be thinking about a different powder, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,331 Posts
231 or HP-38 are good for loading .45 or 9. I've used Power Pistol for hottish loads in .45 and 10mm, but it probably would not be the best powder for light loads in any caliber.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
This is going to sound like a broken record from me...

Bullseye. It really is the best 45 and 9 powder in terms of cost and versatility. It maybe a little dirtier than some of the others, but not enough to notice, especially when shooting lead bullets.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not afraid of a little dirt, and being at work with out my notes it may now have been PP that I wrote down last night. I'll have to check, it could have very well been bullseye. It was late..

I know HS-6 was listed for the 147gr, that was the round I had trouble finding data for.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I have been using Power Pistol in light 9mm loads for some time now, with zero problems(115gr). At higher doses, it really produces a "flash and a bang", but gets the job done. I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I'm with MS D- 4.9 or 5.0gr 231 200gr lswc. Great for plates. I see plates in my sleep.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
138 Posts
For 200gr .45s I use 4.8grs of Win-231 or 3.8grs of Bullseye. Very accurate within 25yds. Both loads work good in all my 1911s. :)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My 2 cents is to try Hodgdon Clays for the 200 gr LSWC loads. Pretty popular among the IPSC/USPSA crowd. 4.2 to 4.3 grs will usually make PF out of a 5" barrel and is pretty manageable. If you're not concerned with major PF, a lighter load in the mid to high 3 gr range would probably be a fun load to shoot. 4.0 grs of Clays was giving me about 145-148 PF.

Clays has the least smoke with any cast bullet that I've tried.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Depends on how light you want to get. I load 147 gr 9mm to about 890 fps for power factor 130 in IDPA ESP with HP38.
But to go very light, as in .45 Midrange loads of a 185 at 750 or a 200 at 700, the Ball process powders get a little erratic. Bullseye gave the lowest standard deviation of anything I tried in the 3-4 grain range, but Clays and Solo 1000 were pretty close and 700X is still better than HP38 or WST. A lot of action shooters have discovered Solo 1000 as an economical substitute for Vihtavuori N310 or N320.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks much for the comments so far.. I still havent seen "Clays" available locally, just Universal and Int'l Clays. 231 and HP38 are around, along with some Titegroup, N310, N330.

So, how do the Clays and Bullseye, 700x meter ? My Lyman 49th says Clays at 1.9gr to start on 147gr 9mm. Will my LnL meter that small amount effectively?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks much for the comments so far.. I still havent seen "Clays" available locally, just Universal and Int'l Clays. 231 and HP38 are around, along with some Titegroup, N310, N330.

So, how do the Clays and Bullseye, 700x meter ? My Lyman 49th says Clays at 1.9gr to start on 147gr 9mm. Will my LnL meter that small amount effectively?
W231 or hogdon equiv
PowerPistol for the 147gr

There are well over 100 commercial handloading powders available to you.
At least 50 of these are suitable for handgun cartridges of one sort or another.
From the speedsters like RED DOT and CLAYS to slow pokes like 296 and 4227
There’s a powder in there somewhere that will make your loading efforts successful.

The ones you picked for the 9MM and the .45ACP (Power Pistol, 231) are very workable powders for your chosen calibers.
231 may be one of the top three or four powders used in the .45ACP for accuracy and general suitability to the cartridge for target and standard loadings.
Many folks swear by PP in the 9MM with a variety of bullets.

It all boils down to what your gun likes; there is no absolute right or wrong.
It’s just the component combination, load recipe and the gun. That’s it.
It’s not a popularity contest; its what works and gets it done in your guns.
“Every load is it’s own load, every gun is its own gun”

You have it started right, work up some starting loads and see what magic they produce
Use a consistent loading technique, record your data clearly and you should be well rewarded.
From my understanding the Hornady measure is one of the more precise dispensers on the market. I’m sure it will handle the light charge weights without unusual event.
If in doubt, use the tools available to you. Check with your scale.
Good Luck :)

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I use Power Pistol for all my 9mm loads. With a 147gr cast bullet, I have settled on 5.0gr PP as an accurate, mild load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts