1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by Greg1911:
What can you do in LE with a criminal justice admin. major?
Well, there are all sorts of exciting things like drive a patrol car, fight with drunks twice your size, work odd shifts, listen to you sergeants arteries harden, have your vacation, that you have already paid for cancelled because of court, get a divorce, get disabled, or get killed. Phew, I don’t know about you but as exciting as all of that is I would try a degree in computer sciences.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Patrickl, I just have to ask. I have read a lot of your posts, and thoroughly enjoyed them, I am not LEO. Have you ever written a book? If not have you ever thought about it? If you did, put me down for one.
-----------------------------
Raspy

·
Registered
853 Posts
So basically you have to have one if you want to be a cop?
It depends on the agency where you want to go to work Greg. Some agencies require a degree to work for them, usually an Associate in Arts or Science Degree for initial entry. Some, like my old department San Francisco PD, only require a High School diploma or equivalent and the police academy.

Get a 4-year degree hoss and don’t get it in police science/administration of justice or some other useless discipline. Get your degree in something you can use in the real world in case you decide after awhile that police work is not your forte.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by raspy:
<><> Patrickl, I just have to ask. I have read a lot of your posts, and thoroughly enjoyed them, I am not LEO. Have you ever written a book? If not have you ever thought about it? If you did, put me down for one.
No, Raspy I have never written a book. I have thought about it but most of my thoughts and experiences are disjointed and unrelated so stringing together a real plot would be nigh on impossible for me. Besides, I suffer from an attention span that is only two or three microns long.

I will tell you that I have had several articles published in law enforcement professional journals but it was dry and dusty.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Well, Patrick, I guess you never read any Louis Grizzard, huh? He didn't need any plots. He just wrote about his experiences, flavoring them with his unique perceptions.

Don't write a book. Just collect all your posts here and write little snippets from your memories. The publisher will do the rest.

Maybe you could entitle it Thirty-two Years Down the Wrong Road.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
94 Posts
you could also use it to be a parole officer, and maybe a para-legal. worse comes to worse, go to law school another 3 years and be a lawyer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Originally posted by Patrickl:
Well, there are all sorts of exciting things like drive a patrol car, fight with drunks twice your size, work odd shifts, listen to you sergeants arteries harden, have your vacation, that you have already paid for cancelled because of court, get a divorce, get disabled, or get killed. Phew, I don’t know about you but as exciting as all of that is I would try a degree in computer sciences.

The Sgt. one is my personal favorite Pat.

------------------
Homepage

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have another take on education and law enforcement. Go ahead and get that police science/administration degree. Not ALL departments require a 4yr degree, but most will in the future. I know most of the large agencies in the midwest require at least a 2yr degree.

I spent my time in the Marine Corps and have a BA in Law Enforcement and a BA in Political Science. I have experienced all of the things Patrickl wrote about besides getting divorced, disabled, and obviously killed. If you major in some other subject that you don't care about, it will not be as rewarding.

I feel my education enabled me to get hired. I loved the Corps but the applicant pool is very large and competitive. It's all about making yourself "market-able" and standing out in the eyes of the hiring official.

regards, gf

·
Registered
987 Posts
I know over here in florida, a degree is not required on paper, but when you look at the number of applicants vs. the number of slots..you better have a one up on somebody, be it a degree or military background.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by Ugly-Jeep-Truck:
I know over here in florida, a degree is not required on paper, but when you look at the number of applicants vs. the number of slots..you better have a one up on somebody, be it a degree or military background.
Wow, I wish it was that way here in California. LAPD is now 1275 officers short. The overall vacancy rate in the state for all PD's is 22%. When I first applied in California, on average, there were 700 applicants for every 1 position. Now......., well, it's rumored that LAPD has taken a lesson from the 17th and 18th Century British Navy and is employing press gangs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Originally posted by Patrickl:
Wow, I wish it was that way here in California. LAPD is now 1275 officers short. The overall vacancy rate in the state for all PD's is 22%. When I first applied in California, on average, there were 700 applicants for every 1 position. Now......., well, it's rumored that LAPD has taken a lesson from the 17th and 18th Century British Navy and is employing press gangs.
Or they could start paying more. The law of supply and demand does work.

The police officer, judge, and lawyer professions used to have some majesty about them that was respected. That respect drove some certain people into those professions. In todays political climate, that no longer holds true. As such, more pay will have to be offered, or they will have to lower their hiring standards to meet demand. Knowing what little I do about Kalifornia, they will probably choose the later option.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by Electric_Armadillo:
Or they could start paying more. The law of supply and demand does work.

The police officer, judge, and lawyer professions used to have some majesty about them that was respected. That respect drove some certain people into those professions. In todays political climate, that no longer holds true. As such, more pay will have to be offered, or they will have to lower their hiring standards to meet demand. Knowing what little I do about Kalifornia, they will probably choose the later option.

More pay isn't going to help here. California PD's are probably close to the highest paid departments in the nation. It's just the attitude of folks out here. As far as lowering standards goes that already happened a while ago. Were do you think Perez of the LAPD Ramparts scandal came from?

·
Registered
853 Posts
What are the standards for the Police in Ca?
At one time it was as follows:

1. With the exception of an infraction vehicle code citation no convictions what so ever.

2. Never used drugs.

3. Clean credit rating.

4. Stringent physical qualification.

5. Stringent psychological.

6. Extreme background check, including polygraph. This background was the type that went up your butt with a microscope.

7. 21 years old.

Now:

1. Well, what the heck. It's just a lousy misdemeanor conviction.

2. You haven't done any drugs in the last three years have you? Oh, well it wasn't too much was it?

3. Oh, I know, those polygraphs are so irritating, we'll just skip it.

4. You know you should pay your bills don't you? I mean we wouldn't want you to get so far in debt so as to be tempted to pocket money or drugs.

5. You aren't hanging around your old hommies anymore are you? I mean you have to understand that you might need to arrest one of them tomorrow. By the way, would you be willing to have that "CRIP" tat removed?

BTW: If you think I am kidding you are wrong.

·
Registered
370 Posts
torrance PD in SoCal had 7 positions open, and over 500 taking the written test.
i know of 2 military guys that were denied by the LAPD cuz they failed the pysch test.

even thought LAPD needs people BIG time, they are still cautious with there hiring, poor hiring practices is part of what lead to there problems.
but of course the bad press they get, and the way the administration treats its officers forces them to leave in droves.

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
691 Posts
1,275 officers needed, likely blackouts next summer, flashfires, and a tenuous water situation. Oh, lets add terrorist concerns to that mix. House prices may finally drop around there.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by Electric_Armadillo:
House prices may finally drop around there.
Already have. Every day that I pick up the paper I note an article on the softening housing market around here in NorCal. Maybe if my kids get lucky they will be able to afford to live around here pretty soon rather than needing to go to another state to live.

Now this is really wishful thinking but maybe, just maybe, a ton of our liberals will move to say........Texas, yeah that's a good wide open place with lots of room and they can live happily ever after with the native folks of Texas and peace, love, happiness, and no guns allowed and be kind to mass murderers, and other stuff like that there can abound.

Kum by yaw my friend kum by yaw....come on Electric, it's more fun when we all sing together!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts