1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to set the record straight this pistol is not Mil-spec. It differs from that standard in both materials and execution. In reality it is a no frills 1911A1 Pattern pistol made to appeal to the current “minimalist“trend among 1911 buyers.

The question then becomes is it a good pistol and is it a good value?

Here is my experience:

The price point rating, I give an 8 out of a possible 10.
This gun competes in the 300 to 600 dollars bracket for 1911 pistols. In this category you have the Colt 1991A1 NRMs,
RIAs, another Mil-spec Model from Springfield, and any number of used guns. The WW2 Mil-spec with a street price if between 400 and 450 dollars lands right about in the middle of this group of guns price wise. With in this group of guns there is a great deal of difference in feature sets and finish as well as materials. So what does it take to get a 10 rating for value? In my mind it would have to be a used, well customized gun. Lets face it customizing a 1911 is like putting a stereo in your car. Makes it very nice but doesn’t add squat to the resale value. Short of buying a used gun for a great price, and assuming you can live with the features of the WW2 Mil-spec from Springfield, it’s hard to find a gun out there cheaper or that represents a better value in a NEW gun.

Features.
Pretty much none. The curved Main spring housing with lanyard loop will appeal to some, as will strangely enough the small Military style sights. The Ejection port is not enlarged, nor does it have an extended ejector. It has a short solid Military style trigger, cheap (but authentic?) and ugly brown plastic grips. The parkerized finish is functional and well done if not particularly attractive. It has a two piece blued barrel, and a thumb safety that like the hammer is not the correct style for a WW2 replica type pistol.

Reliability
Ok nothing is more annoying than someone buying a single example of one type of gun shooting it some and declaring that model of pistol to be the worlds most reliable. The inverse is just as bad. I can report my pistol ran perfectly on its first range session and did not experience any failures at all. I ran about 500 rounds through the gun. Subjectively this gun feels like it will run and run and run. What exactly that feel is can not be described at least by me, but you long time 1911 shooter know exactly what I am talking about. I don’t imagine this pistol will be shot much because for me it is not as fun to shoot as a more decked out pistol, so it should last very well. I have a large and varied collection of 1911 style guns. This gun does fill a niche for me.

Execution of the design (quality of the build by Springfield)
What can I say here, my pistol is fine. Lines are straight; holes are the right size in the right locations. No glaring cosmetic flaws and nothing left in a non-functional condition when it left the factory. Extractor tension was about right, I imagine this was as much accident as design. Quality of parts is a matter of opinion. I am totally willing to accept MIM parts on a gun in this price point. In fact in a gun much under 1000 dollars these days MIM is a fact of life. What I can not tolerate is poorly made ill fitting parts. This in my opinion is still Springfield’s biggest problem. Mil-specs on up through the TRP ( non-custom models) in MY EXPERIENCE over the last three or four years have had some really spotty ignition parts. Most notably the famous miss-cast disconnector. I have in the last few years purchased three loaded pistols and a TRP operator and all had not so great looking trigger parts. In fact in all but the TRP required replacement to get a really good trigger break. This mil-spec has a very good disconnector and the parts look well made. But this pistol has the most spongy creepy trigger I have EVER felt on a 1911. I am sure this was part of my accuracy problems with this gun. (read on) Heavy pull too, that funky and very heavy main spring may be contributing to this. Slide to frame fit was fine (who cares right), but the gun felt and still does feel rough when cycled.

Accuracy
Bad, very bad. At 15 yards of sandbags with slow deliberate fire I could not hold the shots in a 3 inch circle. I tried several different types of ammo and had others shoot the gun. It’s just not a good shooter in this respect. Bushing fit seems fine as does the barrel hood fit. The barrel crown looks ok as well. I am at a loss as to the problem. I am willing to admit it could be me. The bad trigger, poor ergonomics and small sights do make this gun a challenge to shoot. But I had three really good shots shoot it and they could not get it to group either.

Not sure what I am going to do with this gun if anything. It is my least expensive pistol so I might put it on my night stand since it would not make me cry to loose it after a self defense event. Maybe since the frame and slide seem fine I might make a project out of it.

So would I recommend this gun to anyone? That depends. If shooting is your hobby and you like to pump a lot of rounds down range and get good competitive results this is NOT your pistol. If you are looking for a classically configured pistol for little money and can be satisfied with the features I guess this gun is a good as any. Seriously consider looking at the current RIAs and used gun market first however.

·
Registered
222 Posts
after shooting it today, i can say that this is worth every penny of the $369+tax that I paid for the gun.

trigger on mine feels beautiful(after dry firing it about a thousand times last night) as does the thumb safety and the way the gun locks up...it's TIGHT.

Ihappen to love the short trigger and tiny sights. I wouldn't want it if it was any other way.
I can point better with this than with any other 1911 in my arsenal...must be the curved mainspring, don't know it's my first one.

what can i say, maybe you got a lemon?
i usually will play with a gun I'm planning on buying for quite sometime(lucky the store owner's a friend)before actually purchasing it, just to make sure i'm not getting the lemon.

pretty accurate as well with Blazer even, much more so with CorBon Power ball.

you know what they say about opinions...

·
Registered
82 Posts
wwII

Good review of the gun,

I love mine, of course I prefer the classic styling better then a custum race gun, and do not compete in compitions.

As far as accuracy it depends on what you consider good. I had always been told a 1911 was designed to be pointed and fired at close range at a large target i.e. putting the enemy on the ground.

A three or five inch group at close range would do just that.

I would guess you got a factry lemon, mine shoots better then that off hand if i do my part, and I am by no means a good shootist. just my 2 cents worth.

robino where you finding them for 369??????

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Good review, although I no longer have mine, I noticed some of the things you noticed. Mine however was fairly accurate and had a better trigger then my Stainless Mil-Spec. My grips, both sets, broke and the frame rails were Horrible!!, they looked like someone had taken a bastard file to them before parkerizing. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning those up and the general roughness of the frame inside and on some key areas left a lot to be desired. IMO, there isn't much QC at Springfield. My frame on my Champion was the same way, these frames definitely don't look as good inside or out then any of my recent Colt or Kimber models both of which are basic models and both cost less then 200 more then the Mil-Spec and both were about the same as what I paid for the Champion.
I appreciate a Good Honest Review.....Thanks
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Sorry to hear yours is not accurate Bigjim, mine is quite accurate, especially with Winchester 185gr Range ammo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just bought a standard Mill-Spec a few months ago. The pistol is very tight. The trigger was very spongy and hard but a local gunsmith took care of that for me for about $65 - including a new aluminum trigger. Accuracy with mine is excellent for a non-customized gun. I have shot some sub 3" groups at 25yds.

Overall, I really like mine. I have less than $500 in mine total so I am satisfied. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't so good.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine has a bit of creep and doesn't eject really strongly courtesy of the puny jejector, but it still ran 100% and shot to POA. I can't ask for much more out of the gun. I found it's accuracy to be pretty good, around 4" at 25 yards. I think it may have been doing better, but those little sights can be hard to see!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could not agree more about the sights. First thing I did after going to the range the first time with mine was to buy a set of Meprolights for it. With the new sights, I find mine quite accurate, and a good representation of its type.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kuma1911A1 said:
Could not agree more about the sights. First thing I did after going to the range the first time with mine was to buy a set of Meprolights for it. With the new sights, I find mine quite accurate, and a good representation of its type.
Kuma, could you give some information about these sights? How easy was it to install, did it require permanent modification to the slide? This was on a WWII GI spec? I assume.
Thanks.
I'm really curious because I don't have a 1911 yet, it'll be my next purchase. My only concern at this point is do I get the Mil-Spec or WWII pistol. :( Since price for me is a factor, I've been leaning mostly towards the WWII, well that and it fits in with my current collection of WWII era firearms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meps for the WWII Commemorative

Bob:

No mods were necessary to the pistol, but because the .125 tenon front dights are not an exact fit, the sight base for the front sight had to be shaved slightly. I had a smith do this-as to how easy it would be to DIY, I couldn't tell you. But it only cost me $30 to have them installed, and the sights were $69.99.

And they look [email protected]#t hot-well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MDS1911 and the others who have responded.

In Truth I am becoming a bit jaded when it comes to gun purchases. I think I may just quite buying guns altogether and just start shooting the ones I have a lot more.

It seems these days the time and energy spent in pursuit of a truly fine gun are becoming prohibitive.

I am going back to the range in the morning. I have 500 rounds of ball ammo loaded into clips and I am going to seriously knock the last of the new off this thing.

If anything earth shattering develops I will let you all know. I predict another session of reliable if un-inspiring shooting.

Yawn...........:grumble:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts