1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am driving a motorcycle with a non resdient Utah ccw. I live in DC which supposedly allows ccw now, but i have not been approved yet. My route takes me through four states without reciprocity. So far this is my understanding of my options.
-CA not a chance, have to lock in my saddle bags.
-NV just go open carry instead and I'm good.
-NM I think as long as I am on the motorcycle I can conceal. If I get off the motorcycle I think I have to either lock it up or open carry, can anyone verify?
-IL if I am approved to carry in my state of residence I can conceal while on the bike, but have to lock it up if I get off. Since I have a non resident ccw, does the same rule apply?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Stop in AZ and take my AZ CCW class, then you're good to go in NV and NM. (Once you get approved anyway.). :)

It's legal but don't recommend OC around the Strip. They have used Disturbing the Peace and other bogus charges in the past. YMMV

Not sure in NM try "handgunlaw.us"

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The Illinois law states:

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

So if your state requires a permit and you don't have one issued by your state of residence, then you are prohibited in Illinois. When traversing Illinois, your firearm would need to be unloaded and enclosed in a case. Until you get your DC permit. Your ammo can be in the same case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts