1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a reference to this on another thread. Anybody have a pic of this? Is it on all models or just certain ones? what about the Pruitt model?

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and thanks to iggy who PMed me a pic. Made that decision easy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The cross that you are referring to is NOT found on all DW firearms. When I first got my Pointman Major, I had been told that there should be a cross on the slide, as well as other markings. Other than the model info, my slide was bare.
I contacted Bob, on this forum and waws informed that there were a few DW's produced this way. BTW....I personally like the lack of markings on my DW. Kinda' has a cleaner look to it that lends itself to more of a carry gun, than a range queen IMHO...and this pistol is definately a shooter!

·
Registered
333 Posts
If I remember correctly there was a big debate about the crosses on DW.Some acused Dw of pushing a certin believes in god.My Patriot doent and my 1st major had a large cross and the 2nd 9mm major has a small cross. To me this is just a trade mark, but to other it was more than that
Rich

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
RSKING45....
I'll bet if you look hard enough on your Patriot, you'll see it. As far as I know, all of the Patriots came with the same markings.
Regards,
Sam

This is the marking on early DWs.

Attachments

·
Banned
651 Posts
I like the cross!

I KNOW who my Master is... It is the God of Abraham and Issac! Thank you very much!

Scott :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
well, crap. You all just had to point this out to me. i went and looked on my pruitt model, and there it is. awful small, but it's there. is this a religious cross, or does it stand for something else? maybe a trademark with no religious meaning? if it is a religious cross, then i'll have to sell it. i don't like that one bit.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
garymac.....
You might want to look into the meaning of the cross. Could make a lot of difference in your life. And yes, it is the symbol of the cross that the Son of God was crucified on. (Therefore, religious.)
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
250 Posts
i don't have a problem with the cross being on there, but it was done in a sneaky way. if it had been big enough to see well, i would never have bought it, and i suspect this is why it is so small. i knew there was a marking there, but when i put a magnifying glass on it after reading this thread i saw what it was. i love the pistol itself and have had nothing bad to say about it, and still don't. i just don't like that sort of stuff being forced on me. the pistol is for sale tomorrow, and i will tell the new owner about the cross.

·
Registered
560 Posts
garymac

forcing what on you ? DW's religious beliefs ?? i'm not a religious person by any means and just because DW puts a cross on thier pistols does not mean they are forcing thier beliefs on you or forcing anything for that matter on you..

How is it sneaky ?? I'm curious as to your explanation on that one, I consider it more part of DW's trademark then anything else.

Of course everyone has the right to interpert that as they see fit, and your beliefs are your's and what you do in the end is entirely up to you, i don't think getting rid of a weapon that has a "Cross" on it that's small enough that you had to take a magnifying glass to it to tell what it was should cause you much concern..

Worse case take the weapon to a smith have them refinish the slide and have it removed.. if you like the weapon as much as you say.

Oh by the way how much are you selling it for ??

Jeff.

·
Registered
449 Posts
We been thru all this over a year ago. Garymac. You can go
back and read the old threads There certainly were enough of
them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How is it sneaky ??
i explained that earlier, by making it so small, like a secret sign or something. if they had made it larger, some people wouldn't buy it. so they evidently tried to sneak it by. i would have more respect if they advertised "the preferred weapon of bible-thumpers" or something.

i don't think getting rid of a weapon that has a "Cross" on it that's small enough that you had to take a magnifying glass to it to tell what it was should cause you much concern..
it is the point of the thing.

Worse case take the weapon to a smith have them refinish the slide and have it removed..
i don't wish to support a company that would do this.

well, now i'm down to kimber and springfield to do business with. i gave up my last colt a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
garymac

This came up when the RZ was in development.. Somebody legitimately questioned it just as you have.

Bob said that he is a strong Christian and is proud of his beliefs, and that the Cross was an indication of that principle.
At that time, the support for the Cross remaining on the gun was overwhelming.

Bob isn't preaching, there is no sneaking around. The Cross is there as a statment of Bob's faith and belief.

As is obvious, by the fact that you had to have it pointed out to you, it isn't plastered all over the gun as an implement of Bible Thumping, but a tiny, unobtrusive statement of a man's belief.
It is also a statement as to how Bob and DW try their best to deal with customers in and upright fashion.

I am not a church going pulpit pounder myself, but I respect the man for what he believes.
I am a stalwart citizen of this country and I wear a tiny American Flag lapel pin.
I'm not being sneaky and I am not going to give anybody a lesson in civics. It is merely a quiet statement that I am an American and dammed proud of it.

You don't have to accept Bob's Cross , but both Bob and I are going to quietly display our beliefs as is our right.

I respect your right to choose what to do with your DW pistol, but I just wanted to point out that Bob and DW have done nothing sneaky in the display of the Cross on their guns.

Your's is the right to disagree and to get rid of that gun as fast as you can if that is the way you feel.

Please do not take this as a flame or an attack on you. It IS NOT!! I am just afraid the continuation of this thread will only lead down the same slippery slope it did the last time, and I want to bring it to a halt, before it gets unpleasant.

With respect,
Iggy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have great respect for a man not afraid to put his beliefs out there for all the world to see.

My next pistol will be a Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
250 Posts
that was well said in expressing your view. but i fail to see how you can't consider it sneaky by making it so small and not advertising it. maybe subliminal is a better word.

to make a long story short, i was married for 11 years before my wife was murdered in 1992. for the last 6 years i have had a girlfried who is a devout baptist. i have observed the people in her family and her church who hide behind the bible and act holier than thou, when in reality they are worse than most regular people i know. believe me, we have had many discussions on the subject and i don't wish to re-create them here.

i really wish i hadn't read this thread, as i would still be unaware of what the mark meant.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
5 Toes said:
I have great respect for a man not afraid to put his beliefs out there for all the world to see.
In that case you must really respect garymac

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.