1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
One bushing goes into the chamber, the other in the muzzle and the rod goes through it. I dial it in first with the rod, then pull it out and finish inside the bore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
924 Posts
One bushing goes into the chamber, the other in the muzzle and the rod goes through it. I dial it in first with the rod, then pull it out and finish inside the bore.
I'm sorry to be dense, but this is getting the barrel aligned properly for boring?

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Or if you're going to thread a barrel or ream a chamber of whatever have you. The rod is just used so I can quickly get it aligned.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I made this fixture for cutting frame rails to height:

For cutting the rails to width, the frame is simply clamped vertically to a 5" x 5" angle plate (not shown).

-
I like that one! Do you have a dimensioned drawing or sketch you could share?

·
Banned
756 Posts
Hi,
Jamie, how close can you dial that barrel in when you set it up.

I'm building a Commander and sooner or later need to cut the barrel back a hair and chamfer it!

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Hi,
Jamie, how close can you dial that barrel in when you set it up.

I'm building a Commander and sooner or later need to cut the barrel back a hair and chamfer it!
I can dial it in to less than a tenth pretty easily with that spider it's chucked up in. Sometimes it takes longer than others though, not sure why that is.

I have dialed in on the outside of the barrel and cut the crown, just to see what would happen. To my surprise, accuracy did not seem to suffer at all. I'm not advocating that though. But I have tried it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I like that one! Do you have a dimensioned drawing or sketch you could share?
I actually have a drawing for the main block partially finished. I used it for making notes while I designed it. Once the fixture was finished, I didn't have much incentive to finish the drawing. But I really should, and will post it here.

I don't have a drawing for the small block used to clamp the frame within the magazine well. It's not critical and could probably be more easily made from a 1" length of 5/8" aluminum rod.

The clamp that sits in the slide stop hole was made from a specialized screw that has a square paddle on the end. It's made for holding slotted panels in place with just a quarter turn. I would have just used an eye bolt if I could have found one small enough. Also not something critical.

-

·
Banned
756 Posts
I can dial it in to less than a tenth pretty easily with that spider it's chucked up in. Sometimes it takes longer than others though, not sure why that is.

I have dialed in on the outside of the barrel and cut the crown, just to see what would happen. To my surprise, accuracy did not seem to suffer at all. I'm not advocating that though. But I have tried it.
Hi,
Thanks, I saw where a guy drilled a 1/2" hole in round stock, put in a set screw, then put the barrel in and then set it up in a 4 jaw chuck and dialed it in on the outside of the barrel and it looked great but was just wondering.

The spider would be easy to make, the rod and bushings a little harder.

Thanks, again!

Megafiddle, VERY nice jigs!:cool:

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Hi,

Thanks, I saw where a guy drilled a 1/2" hole in round stock, put in a set screw, then put the barrel in and then set it up in a 4 jaw chuck and dialed it in on the outside of the barrel and it looked great but was just wondering.

Thanks, again!

Megafiddle, VERY nice jigs!:cool:
The rod was not hard at all to make, it was dead simple. Just turn the rod with tailstock support and a sharp tool. Then make the bushings.

I thought the spider was way more difficult actually.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts