1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound blasphemous to the converted but I've been offered a potential trade: my minty Clackamas Kimber Custom .45 for an HK P7M8. I'm in Illinois, so carrying is not an option and either pistol would be relegated to home use. The other half of the deal is not committed, I'm not in a hurry, so want to solicit opinions. I'm asking because these are dramatically different machines. Trade or walk away?

·
Administrator
72,504 Posts
Keep the Kimber. If the other guys wants it so bad that should be a hint. ;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Get the HK.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Jump on that trade as fast as you can, or put that guy into contact with me. Shoot the P7, that'll decide everything in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Keep the Kimber. If you need to trade, I'll get you the HK and throw in a holster. There is no comparison. Refurbished P7's are flooding the market right now. Once the novelty wears off, they're just another short, chunky-handled pistol.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If it were me, I'd take the HK in a heartbeat. I've wanted one for a long time, and the guy is GIVING you a $1000 pistol for $700 one, technically. I mean, really, do y'all really expect the Clackamas Kimbers to appreciate -that- much? :p

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Refurbished P7's are $699 locally. I'd keep the irreplaceable Clackamas every time.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Refurbished P7's are $699 locally. I'd keep the irreplaceable Clackamas every time.
Absolutely. P7s are readily available. Clackamas Kimbers are no more. KEEP IT.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Flood of refurbed P7s for $699? News to me... I think you West Side boys got something shady going on, my friend in Vegas is always telling me about impossibly awesome deals and finds :D

That knowledge fresh in my mind, I'm gonna have to pull a 180 and agree with AZ and Mus. Keep the Clackamas.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
TRB said:
Flood of refurbed P7s for $699? News to me... I think you West Side boys got something shady going on, my friend in Vegas is always telling me about impossibly awesome deals and finds :D

That knowledge fresh in my mind, I'm gonna have to pull a 180 and agree with AZ and Mus. Keep the Clackamas.
Even if it is more the point is P7s are readily available whereas Clackamas Kimbers are hard to come by. My understanding is these pistols were assembled by hand and "massaged" to try to seize market share and are of higher quality than the average Kimber.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I love my P7, but... keep the kimber, buy a P7 later.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
As a P7 aficianado, I'd want to know if it's an older (circa 1980's) P7M8, and if so, its condition.
If it's a real peach, and assuming you KNOW what the P7 is, AND that you want a 9mm pistol (the P7 is THE SINGLE best out-of-the-box 9mm pistol extant, IMNSHO), by all means trade.

Kimbers, even from Clackamas, aren't that hard to come by.

OTOH, if the P7M8 is a beat-up imported refurb, then I'd pass. The older P7s are great guns, though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
OK. I admit to being dumb.

Pray tell what is a Clackamas Kimber?

I've been out of circulation for a while and never heard of it.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
John...The original Kimber Custom Classic that rocked the 1911 world was rollmarked "Clackamas, OR." and is known as a collectable.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
AZ Husker said:
John...The original Kimber Custom Classic that rocked the 1911 world was rollmarked "Clackamas, OR." and is known as a collectable.
oh, thats just great, I owned the first Kimber to enter Iowa, I sold it a year ago to a friend for $400.00. It had had about 150 rounds through it. In fact, i think he still owes me about $100.00 on the deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts