1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Team,

I'm 10 months into my wait for my custom commander. At the time of order, I was told a year to 18 months. Anyone have any recent experience regarding the length of wait for a Colt custom shop order? Just wondering.

Recent experience only (say you received your order within the last year or few months). Stories of custom shop work from over a year ago are not really relevant to current turn around times.

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received mine a few months ago. IIRC, I was quoted 12 to 24 months. I think it ended up being right around 15 months.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What your getting done is very relevant. The more work required the longer, of course. Since you did not specify what work is being done, it is hard to say.

My experience is that Colt's estimates are very close.

Have patience and wait.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What your getting done is very relevant. The more work required the longer, of course. Since you did not specify what work is being done, it is hard to say.

My experience is that Colt's estimates are very close.

Have patience and wait.
They're building a whole gun:

Gun:

Colt Commander (04691)

Custom Work:

Tactical Package with these specs --
Action Tuning (everything) w/ three (3) tuned magazines (IonBond finished with Royal polished base plates),
Complete dehorn,
Ed Brown grip safety,
Novak thumb safety on strong side only, profiled for carry and slimed down,
Front strap checkered at 25 lpi,
Enhanced cut front strap,
Flat, metal mainspring housing checkered at 25 lpi,
Beveled magazine well,
Tuned long trigger, serrated, solid, silver, 4.5lb pull,
Heinie Ultra Low Mount Slant Pro rear sight #360P,
Heinie matching serrated ramp front sight (with 6 o’clock hold 15 yards 230 grain Winchester Ranger T ammo),
Finish in IonBond DLC over Royal Polish,
Enhanced oval hammer, silver.

Plus:

Top of slide flattened and serrated,
Rear of slide to be serrated to match serrations on Heinie rear sight, including the extractor (I’d like an extra extractor serrated the same way and fitted, just in case I ever need it),
National Match Barrel — I’d like input from you here — fitted to either an EGW carry bevel, angle bore bushing with smooth long nose spring plug (bushing and plug should be IONbonded, if possible, OR a Colt NM bushing. What are your thoughts on the EGW bushings vs Colts own? I’ve hear very good things for both.
Slide cocking serrations as on Gold Cup National Match (that is slanted),
My initials engraved on slide behind the cocking serrations on the weak/ejection port side.
Strong side of receiver engraved to read “Colt’s Custom Shop” like the one in the Colt catalog,
Stocks, dark stained smooth wood grips with gold Colt Medallions and fancy blued/IonBonded hex screws (the wood itself should be something like Amboyna Burl, Exhibition Grade Desert Ironwood, dark stained Birdseye Maple, Redwood Burl, Snakewood, Honduran Rosewood Burl, Maple Burl, etc.)
Rounded butt on receiver (I assume normal grips will still work),
Extended, checkered magazine release.

Can't wait. I was just wondering because as I approach that year mark, I can hardly believe that I'll actually have this gun before too terribly long. Exciting (even if they do need the whole 18 months)!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Team,

I'm 10 months into my wait for my custom commander. At the time of order, I was told a year to 18 months. Anyone have any recent experience regarding the length of wait for a Colt custom shop order? Just wondering.

Recent experience only (say you received your order within the last year or few months). Stories of custom shop work from over a year ago are not really relevant to current turn around times.

Thanks,

Frank
I am very curious as to the price that you were quoted, if you wouldn't mind sharing. You're getting a ground up job done. I like the "Colt Custom Shop" roll mark.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recall long wait times for some of the "special" things I've bought in my life, and waiting a year or more was no big deal.

The thing is, many of us today, when told we would have to wait up to 2 years for something, have to consider that those 2 years could very well represent a quarter of the time we have left on this earth.

These days, if I want it, I want it now. That's just the way it is.

The first time this became an issue was when I wanted to order a Bob Shea built 10X High Standard. The moment I was told it could take "several years", that's when I started to pay attention to the true cost of time.

A High Standard 10X?... a little over a grand.
A High Standard Bob Shea 10X?... a couple or more times that.
The wait time for a Bob Shea 10X?... priceless and unobtanium.

I'm sure that there are similar examples in the 1911 world as well.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
A Colt gunsmith fit NM barrel mated to an EGW angle bore bushing will be an awesome combo. CCS NM barrels are HIGHLY underrated.

Colt's standard bushing is a great drop in bushing but the angle bore is a different animal all together. You could meet in the middle and have a standard NM bushing fit and have the accuracy benefits of a NM bushing and the tradiditional look of a slim profile.

Legit NM bushing pictured.

Personally, I love the look of the thick flange bushing and matching plug. I really love the look of EGW's monogram bushing and plug. This combo doesn't get much better for me.

The good news for you is Brent just hired some more smiff's so the new guys may free up some time for the senior smiff's to get your gun finished. :)

Good luck. The wait will be worth it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
SACS could turn that around pretty quickly for you and they do great work.
This I true but it's the M45, I don't know if the Cerakote would be the same on as the One Applied by Colt. I want to shoot it but when it's time to take care of it , I want it just like it came from Colt.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I am very curious as to the price that you were quoted, if you wouldn't mind sharing. You're getting a ground up job done. I like the "Colt Custom Shop" roll mark.
just dont' me like me and write the wrong thing down on the paper and get yourself the wrong roll mark

Whoops, no big deal though really

·
Registered
857 Posts
They're building a whole gun:

Gun:

Colt Commander (04691)

Custom Work:

Tactical Package with these specs --
Action Tuning (everything) w/ three (3) tuned magazines (IonBond finished with Royal polished base plates),
Complete dehorn,
Ed Brown grip safety,
Novak thumb safety on strong side only, profiled for carry and slimed down,
Front strap checkered at 25 lpi,
Enhanced cut front strap,
Flat, metal mainspring housing checkered at 25 lpi,
Beveled magazine well,
Tuned long trigger, serrated, solid, silver, 4.5lb pull,
Heinie Ultra Low Mount Slant Pro rear sight #360P,
Heinie matching serrated ramp front sight (with 6 o’clock hold 15 yards 230 grain Winchester Ranger T ammo),
Finish in IonBond DLC over Royal Polish,
Enhanced oval hammer, silver.

Plus:

Top of slide flattened and serrated,
Rear of slide to be serrated to match serrations on Heinie rear sight, including the extractor (I’d like an extra extractor serrated the same way and fitted, just in case I ever need it),
National Match Barrel — I’d like input from you here — fitted to either an EGW carry bevel, angle bore bushing with smooth long nose spring plug (bushing and plug should be IONbonded, if possible, OR a Colt NM bushing. What are your thoughts on the EGW bushings vs Colts own? I’ve hear very good things for both.
Slide cocking serrations as on Gold Cup National Match (that is slanted),
My initials engraved on slide behind the cocking serrations on the weak/ejection port side.
Strong side of receiver engraved to read “Colt’s Custom Shop” like the one in the Colt catalog,
Stocks, dark stained smooth wood grips with gold Colt Medallions and fancy blued/IonBonded hex screws (the wood itself should be something like Amboyna Burl, Exhibition Grade Desert Ironwood, dark stained Birdseye Maple, Redwood Burl, Snakewood, Honduran Rosewood Burl, Maple Burl, etc.)
Rounded butt on receiver (I assume normal grips will still work),
Extended, checkered magazine release.

Can't wait. I was just wondering because as I approach that year mark, I can hardly believe that I'll actually have this gun before too terribly long. Exciting (even if they do need the whole 18 months)!
I had the tactical package and specified several things I wanted. I waited over two years. I do not mean to scare you. But, Colt does a great job and it was worth the wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts