1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about the current logo on Rock Island 1911's.
Mine is a few years old, and the logo is the full length of the slide, but is not too obvious being that it is the same color as the slide.
Later ones had the much maligned "billboard" logo, done in white.
Now I see a few that have the logo much smaller, and at the very rear of the slide.
Is that only on some models or has the logo been changed across the board?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do not know if they are using the new billboard on all of their models but you can email armscor and they will tell you. They have great CS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My July 2013 FS Tac has the full white logo. I looked into it earlier on, they changed it somewhere Aug-Sept 2013, but not everyone has updated stock.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
According to the information I read, Martin Tuason indicated that the smaller logo was a permanent, across-the-board change. I've suppressed the big banner on all three of my Rocks successfully. You can still read what brand of gun it is, it just doesn't jump out at you like it did. I'm proud of my Rocks but not a fan of big white letters on my guns or on my tires!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I read that RIA is shipping all their pistols with the smaller logo since September of 2013. I recently bought two Rocks, a standard GI and Tactical FS which were put together in June and May respectively, and both have the large billboard type roll mark; however, I do have to say that the color was not white. It was more of a tannish color, and not very annoying. I am thinking of removing it but the logo/color is growing on me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some one post some pictures of the newer pistols. I want to see a RI in GI trim with the non "billboard" slide markings. I would buy a RI if this was true!
Held an RI in my hand and didnt buy it cause of the slide markings. just could not do it.
Brian.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Then look up at 94user's post of the mid-sized GI with the new logo and imagine about an inch more length to the slide and barrel, that will grant your wish. By the by; that big, 'ol billboard is easily suppressed without much trouble, I've done it successfully on all three of my Rocks and whether it's there or not, the guns shoot just fine!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
OldEagleEars - What did you do to diminish the billboards on your pistols?
To do this properly you need (1) a solvent that will clean the logo area of your slide totally (Parkerizing absorbs oil and uses it to prevent corrosion and to give it that flat black-ish color so it all has to be off that area, and then don't touch it with your fingers or better yet, use rubber gloves) for this I've found that Hoppe's Spray Bore Cleaner on a rag does a good job. Warning - this will give the cleaned areas a grayish cast, worry not! (2) some Birchwood-Casey Cold Blue Paste (small tube). (3) professional cotton-swabs with a wooden shaft (your Wife's bathroom Q-Tips shed fibers that stick in the finish). (4) A clean cotton cloth (bed sheet material is good) that isn't going to be used for anything else ever again. (5) some gun-oil or CLP lubricant (I use FrogLube for this but use what you like).
Dismount the slide and if you have something like a small clamp to hold the slide firmly on your work surface, install it now. After cleaning the logo area, apply the cold-blue paste to the swab and dab it over the lettering thoroughly. Allow this to almost dry (still a little shiny) and rub the surface with your cotton cloth until there is no more of it visible on the surface (you will note that the lettering is noticeably dimmer at this point). Now apply another coating of the cold-blue to the lettering with a swab and let it almost dry as before then rub it off as before (lettering is even darker by now). One more round of this procedure is good but not totally necessary (though the suppression may not be a durable at this point). Anyway, after whatever you decide is your last dab/almost dry/rub off repetition, you very carefully apply the final coat, keeping it on just the images and letters you want to darken. This time you allow it to dry completely for a half-hour or more (no shiny areas anywhere visible) and then you find a nice, clean part of your cotton cloth and start rubbing the surface very briskly, turning the contact patch to a clean area often. You will know you are finished when you can only see the suppressed logo if you turn the slide to just the right position in the light and see the letters in raised-relief. Now you generously spread your lube of choice all over the area (and anywhere else that had the oils removed) and patiently buff it with a soft cloth until it looks good so you re-assemble your Rock. It shouldn't take more two-hours from start to finish

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since Martin made the announcement of smaller logos, I have actually held off buying another one until I can get the smaller logo. I love my 10mm Rock, and it needs a companion. But, I will have to wait just a weee bit longer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm waiting for my Compact to ship. Which logo I will get I have no idea. If its the small one, great. If not, I no longer have to ponder what I want to change about it first.
I'm wondering if there is not someway to remove the white that makes up logo, as opposed to covering it?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the old billboard logo, and a very recent purchase has the new tiny rear slide logo. I hated the billboard, and I cold blued them as described previously. I actually prefer a subdued billboard logo, it has really grown on me. I am actually kind of sad that my new gun doesn't match the others.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I actually think the billboard is fine as long as its not too blight

·
Registered
246 Posts
Some one post some pictures of the newer pistols. I want to see a RI in GI trim with the non "billboard" slide markings. I would buy a RI if this was true!
Held an RI in my hand and didnt buy it cause of the slide markings. just could not do it.
Brian.
here you go....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts