1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quicky review of Longbow's frangible ammo. I shopped for frangible at the SHOT show, lots of different brands out there, and some different claims. Almost all is horribly expensive. After the show, I had a hard time getting most of them to take an order, let alone answer a few questions. Longbow wanted the business, and seems to have the lowest price, so I got some in .223 and .45. One outfit wanted $.50/bullet just for component bullets... I got 100 .223 and 100 .45. loaded, from Longbow for under $70.

The .45 has a recoil impulse about equal to my major IPSC loads; no feeding or cycling probs. In .223 I have fired too few to say yet. The big claim here of course is that you can train on steel targets at contact distance without and danger from splatter-- they all claim that and I don't think there's any question there so I didn't really go to town on that. The bullets are made from a copper powder-filled plastic. They have a dull, abrasive look to them, but presumably they are not bad for a barrel (better not be!). Some companies are using the ever-popular term "tactical" in ref. to their frangible, so I shot some water jugs (not making any claims as to what that is an indication of; neither this review nor my existance are ISO 9001 compliant). The .223 does a classic blow-up of a gallon milk jug, leaving little chunks of copper material in the bottom. A pinch of it will get through the jug with enough oomph to pepper a piece of plywood-- not much more.

The .45 apparently does not go fast enough to give this effect. It blows right through a water jug and keeps on truckin'. Same with wet phonebook. Recovered .45's are in one piece and almost good as new.

Although the .45 does not feel hot, the primer gets pretty flat, and both it and the WW case head get all the breechface marks transferred to them. Cases are new WW but with the big flash-hole. I'd heard these were coming but it's the first I've seen of them and it just looks scary. Comments on that, please?

Special bonus feature-- ran across these the other day and couldn't resist-- whoever can give the best explanation of how the 9mm Makarov bullet and .223 case came to be the way they are in the picture (no relationship to this dumb little review), and whether or not it was a smart thing to do, gets.... I haven't figured out what yet, but something. In the lower pic, the bullet to the right is a recovered Longbow, next to the left is a Rainier 200 gr, HP just for size comparison. The Longbow bullet is rather long as the bullet material is lighter.

I didn't expect the Longbow to group well, but got 3" at 25 yards. I'm sure it will do better-- to be honest, I did not give it my best effort having pre-concluded that it would not be accurate. POI was exactly the same as my 200 Rainier HP IPSC load.

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 06-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't even know for sure what I'm looking at, but that bullet (second from the right in front) looks like it's been eating too many enchiladas, tortillas, and chips-and-queso.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hmmm The case. Either it was fired prematurely - perhaps in a home-made full-auto - and it buckled when it slammed back into the bolt face, or some guy had it in his hand while he was teaching his teenage daughter to drive.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, JP, since you're the only one playing here, I'll give you the story. One day I'm shooting my Makarov, it's got a compensator on it. Somehow, I discovered that this .223 case was just the right size to sorta slip into the pass-through hole of the comp (picture a cave-man who has just found a rock with a hole in it. Now he picks up a stick and tries to put it in the hole. Cave-man looks skyward and scratches head). Just right so it's not too tight, but tight enough to stay there if you don't move it around. What I did next is kinda like, when you see some monster earth mover go by with 15' wheels, some part of you wants to jump under them just to see what it would be like.... well, some of us anyway. So I stuck the .223 case in there, lightly mind you, it's not tight, I stick it in there just enough so it'll stay on its own.I figure no harm can come to the gun (maybe to me, but not the gun), since the case is in there so lightly that just pointing it down will allow it to fall out. I touch off a 9mm Mak. The result is what you see there-- the .223 case tried to telescope upon itself, and the Mak bullet tried to go into the .223's primer pocket. I was able to see the .223 case and where it went, it was just by wierd chance that I found the Mak bullet a few days later.

Oh yeah-- no damage to the gun, but was it kinda stupid-- yes! So, what have you won?

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Have I won a slightly shopworn Makarov???

------------------

·
Registered
118 Posts
God, I'm glad you told me what that "case" was. I thought you had accidently gotten your crack pipe in the picture.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JP, you don't mind if the barrel is kinda peeled back from the muzzle, do you...?

Bear One-- I will neither confirm nor deny that! (Attempt at figuring out how to do smiles>>>> [:)] )

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
A plain smile is colon-right parenthesis -

There is a "Smilies Legend" on the left when you do a message; you can use that as a crib to do various smilies.

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ned-

I only live about 10 miles from Three Rivers. Wondering where you got your Mak from. Haven't seen any at the shops in Kalamazoo. If you bought it and had it transferred, I would be interested to know who does a transfer for a reasonable rate. Thanks.

Don't Tread On Me

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is not a wind-up compensator, it is electric

I just took such a liking to Maks that I had to doctor one up. This one is checkered and everything. I use it to pretty good effect in local bowling pin shooting where they put the pins 1' from the back of the table, although even so the Mak ctg. is a real handicap. Been using the Russian hollowpoint ammo lately and it seems to give a slight edge (BTW, even though they are steel jacketed, they give textbook expansion in water).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts