1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10mm commander length, bobtailed 1911 in a Brigade M11 holster.

Built from scratch on a bare Springfield government model frame. The first guy I chose for the job sent me results that were inconsistent with someone who knew what they were doing. So, I found good people to start over on all the internals, fix the ambi, replace four new grip screw bushings, new barrel and replace the finish. Interestingly, along the way, the standard plug was replaced with a one-piece full length guide rod. Works, so no problem. Larry Davidson made the grips in the same pattern as my other 1911 in .45ACP.

Several well respected people on this site and others emphasized the stress areas on a 10mm 1911 would be on the barrel lug and the slide. The gun has a STI slide that is well made, so I took the frame and slide to Bar-Sto. Had them make a match grade ramped barrel and fit it to the frame and slide. This Bar-Sto barrel has a solid capsule shaped lug, really strong. I'm very happy with their work and believe it will add to the gun's longevity.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of 180gr Georgia Arms and Double Tap 180gr Gold Dot ammo through it reliably. TCL works.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Sweet!!! Post up more pics, preferably of the guts....

·
Registered
898 Posts
10mm commander length, bobtailed 1911 in a Brigade M11 holster.

Built from scratch on a bare Springfield government model frame. The first guy I chose for the job sent me results that were inconsistent with someone who knew what they were doing. So, I found good people to start over on all the internals, fix the ambi, replace four new grip screw bushings, new barrel and replace the finish. Interestingly, along the way, the standard plug was replaced with a one-piece full length guide rod. Works, so no problem. Larry Davidson made the grips in the same pattern as my other 1911 in .45ACP.

Several well respected people on this site and others emphasized the stress areas on a 10mm 1911 would be on the barrel lug and the slide. The gun has a STI slide that is well made, so I took the frame and slide to Bar-Sto. Had them make a match grade ramped barrel and fit it to the frame and slide. This Bar-Sto barrel has a solid capsule shaped lug, really strong. I'm very happy with their work and believe it will add to the gun's longevity.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of 180gr Georgia Arms and Double Tap 180gr Gold Dot ammo through it reliably. TCL works.
What finish is that? Cerakote?
Booty

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Glad there are talented gunsmiths out there that can do this kind of work.

I intend to limit my primary carry guns to this one and the .45 ACP shown here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=1146318&postcount=734

I'm heading out early tomorrow to a National Forest to do some shooting and hiking over the weekend. I'll take some photos when I have it apart for cleaning when I return home.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks folks, the professionals working on the gun deserve the praise.

Only shot Double Tap ammo this trip to continue testing the kind of ammo I would use while carrying. The 180gr Gold Dot and XTP continued to feed reliably, no hick-ups of any kind.

One can see the Bar-Sto ramped barrel gives good support. Cases looked better than those shot from my Glock 29. Speaking of the Glock 29, shooting it and the 1911 back-to-back, the 1911 is much more refined.

Stayed after dark to shoot more Double Tap ammo in spite of seeing mountain lion tracks in the mud. Their low flash powder created a small, contained flash, nothing like my .357 Mag snub. Easy to see the target on follow up shots, at least for my beta-carotene consuming self.

Photos -

Another view:

Barrel:

Cases from fired rounds:

Mountain lion front paw print coming down an embankment:

I struggle to describe why the 10mm made me smile at first shot. When a 10mm lights off, it exhibits more "authority". Not more recoil or drama than a .45, just more presence. I understand it's subjective, but I like the round.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This gun was worked on by at least three people.

I won't be recognizing or recommending the first guy from upstate New York who thought it made sense to dremel the chamber of a barrel along with a few other goofs. My mistake for choosing him for a gunsmithing job.

A local retired gunsmith I knew felt so bad about what the first guy did he agreed to fix the internals, except the barrel. (I wanted the barrel to get special attention.) I gave him carte blanche to do whatever was needed. He did a great job. The trigger is smooth with a very clean break.

The last is Irv Stone, the president of Bar-Sto. He took on the list of remaining repairs the local smith and I compiled. Also gave him carte blanche to change/replace/repair whatever was needed.

Irv showed me some really nice government and commander style 1911's in .45 ACP and 10mm he built. Both times I visited, there were several guns in various levels of completion around his bench. A couple were for famous names we would all recognize.

The project got off to a rocky start, but now, it's exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts