1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new Custom built 1911. Haven't even shot it yet. I specified every part in the gun and it's pretty much the best available parts. Accurate too, according to the Smiths enclosed target. At 25 yds. 3 rounds through the same hole with two flyers, total group less than 1 1/2 inches hand held across a sand bag. Love the pistol - except for one thing. The slide (caspian) overhangs the frame (caspian) by just a smidgen in the rear. It's not "smoothe" - there's a "step down" to the frame of maybe 1/2 the thickness of a penny. It's as though the slide isn't fully into battery (but it is). Is this a problem? Should I send it back? Comments appreciated.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
It's not a problem with function but that is one of the reasons you pay big bucks for a custom: so it's perfect.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If the gun it very tight, it's possible that it isn't locking up completely. Try pulling the slide all the way back, by hand, and letting it go. Does that make a difference?

Generally, don't do this sort of thing with an empty gun. But once isn't going to hurt it.

I would be surprised if a custom build would overlook what you're seeing.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
10ring said:
If the gun it very tight, it's possible that it isn't locking up completely. Try pulling the slide all the way back, by hand, and letting it go. Does that make a difference?

Generally, don't do this sort of thing with an empty gun. But once isn't going to hurt it.

I would be surprised if a custom build would overlook what you're seeing.
My thoughts too, but try pushing on the back of the slide first before letting it slam shut.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Letting the slide slingshot forward (as I normally do when shooting but not on an empty gun) did lessen it considerably. However, it is still there but not nearly as bothersome for me to look at. I think I will just trust the Smith.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Can you post a pic of what you are seeing?

If the gun functions well and hits accurately this is a minor cosmetic issue at most. But, if you ordered and paid for a "custom built" gun are you OK with what you got in the end, both now as well as down the line knowing you will both look at this yourself and show it to others over the years?

I am one that can handle minor cosmetic issues but for some it just grows on them over time.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
mes228 said:
Letting the slide slingshot forward (as I normally do when shooting but not on an empty gun) did lessen it considerably. However, it is still there but not nearly as bothersome for me to look at. I think I will just trust the Smith.
I bet after a few hundred rounds it will be "smooth"...My LB Stinger had the same problem, but after about 200 rounds its a perfect fit.
The lockup will smooth out letting it go just a smidgen further into battery.;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The legs of the link is one area where I usually look if this condition occurs; I'd recommend firing a few hundred rounds (without a buffer) and see if the slide snuggles up nice and smooth. A few thousandths is not unusual to a new fit and may settle in fine. After the initial firing, if the cosmetic problem persists, the smith can apply a few finishing touches to make it right...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
498 Posts
IMHO, a SLIGHT overhang is no biggie and if the smith know's his business is done to allow the gun to wear in, something that you described as half the thickness of a penny is a little more than I'd like to see. Talk to the smith before you get too excited.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Custom

With slingshotting the slide the overhang is about the thickness of a Business Card. I think I'll wait until after I shoot it a few hundred times and see. The pistol is still "in the white" not blued. If this grows to bother me I'll have it addressed at the time of bluing. I intend to shoot it in, and make sure all is well before I have it finished. Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Custom

I finally was able to fire the this pistol today. Miserable wind and rain and I only fired 8 magazines. The first 7 mags of hard ball ran flawlessly. The eighth mag I loaded with hollow points. The first round I sling shotted into the chamber nosed into the feed ramp. After clearing the jam it functioned fine through the rest of the mag. I am feeling much better about the pistol I'll post again after a few hundred rounds. I do love the pistol and the trigger. Now if it just continues to run......

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
mes228 said:
I finally was able to fire the this pistol today. Miserable wind and rain and I only fired 8 magazines. The first 7 mags of hard ball ran flawlessly. The eighth mag I loaded with hollow points. The first round I sling shotted into the chamber nosed into the feed ramp. After clearing the jam it functioned fine through the rest of the mag. I am feeling much better about the pistol I'll post again after a few hundred rounds. I do love the pistol and the trigger. Now if it just continues to run......
Glad to hear your report and sounds like you are on the road......keep us posted.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've heard that cycling the action will cure that problem. Just shoot it awhile. Also, POST PICS!!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I will post pictures when the pistol is finished. It's in the white now. After I am assured it runs, I will have it finished. My local Smith (not the builder) recommends rust bluing the pistol. He has a non-traditional type of rust blue that can be high gloss black. I'm leaning toward high gloss slide flats and satin remainder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts