1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
They are "necessary" for the employment of people pursuing a career they enjoy. For the rest of us, they fall into the "discretionary spending" bucket.

Like an early response suggested, I would not buy a gun for the purpose of passing along as a family heirloom, even if I did have kids. Kids will more likely shun guns passed along to them these days than appreciate them. There is no guarantee how an offspring will feel about anything you leave them, so you'd be fulfilling your dream, not theirs. Where do you think all these fine auction guns come from? Some guy that thought he'd build a fine collection and pass it along to his offspring. But the kids look at it as a burden that should be converted to cash asap. Pass along something useful, like how to make their own money and fulfil their own dream, and how to be a good person. All I wanted from my parents estate was an old slightly rusty large cast iron bottle/can opener that I remember my father using as far back as the early 60s. It brings back memories of him every time I open a beer with it. It has more value to me than the most expensive of the custom 1911s.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I love my children, but I've never once bought a gun because I thought it would be a good gun to pass down to them. There is one that was engraved that they seem to have an interest in, but only one will receive it, and then the other two will be pissed off at me for eternity.

I don't list any guns in my signature line, but I have many custom guns. And I can't recall anyone putting down someone else on this forum for not having an expensive gun. I think all 1911s are cool. I like the idea of a factory stock, hard-use, truck gun as much as I like the idea of an engraved, safe queen. I have those two types and other types as well. Whatever floats your boat.

Since I carry a 1911, most, not all, of mine are ultimately evaluated, selected, and customized based on their suitability for carrying. Ambi-safeties, Bomars, compensators, and mag-wells don't work for me. I like Wilsons, (I have 2), Ed Browns, (I have 2), and stock looking, but gunsmith tuned, Colts, (I have several). We sure as hell all better vote for President Trump or we'll quickly lose our right to carry anything.

·
Registered
Trumark Wrist Rocket
361 Posts
I just received the first ACW Classic Carry in Charcoal Blue ever made. I didn't need it but I surely wanted it. That is exactly why I ordered it. And, because this is America, I now have it. Apparently, having it just because of a 'want' is offensive. To make matters here even more offensive, (SHOCK!) it will be handed down.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
They are simply superior, greater durability, reliability via precision, much more consistent shot to to shot, offer features that production guns flat out don't, and lastly in any performance metric with the same skill level shooter they will perform better.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
Apparently, unless it's a target, I miss everything. This is the first thread, off-the-top-of-my-head I recall "snobbery", inverted or not; and here it was pointed out.

Maybe too much of an in-betweener on this topic to usually notice snobbery from either side. Maybe too thick-skinned from lots and lots of practice ("tgt" means "target") -; Maybe just plain too obtuse ... people often have had to explain "hurtful" things said by the mean girls before I'd "get it" (thanks?) -:\ In any case, to some degree, 1911 enthusiasts all; thus already apparently out of the mainstream of handgun enthusiasts! Gun enthusiasts! ... which is already apparently outside the mainstream. I'd've thought there's hotter irons in the fire than to disparage each other's tastes in 1911-pattern handgun makers. Me? I like them all.

Reactions: prairieviper

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks much to all who have posted their thoughts on the topic. This 1911 thread was just ruminating on my part. The original post could have been drug induced rumination on my part for I had shoulder surgery a week ago. I think I dispensed with the twin narcotic prescriptions as more trouble than they were worth on the day I posted this.

Truth is, I've always been perfectly happy with factory original 1911 guns. I've got to be in a real "shooting humor" to strive toward the accuracy capabilities of my old World War I loosey goosey Model 1911! I've dabbled in bullseye competition, now called Precision Pistol and have shot my Colt Gold Cup in a few matches. I'm not equal to the Gold Cup's accuracy capabilities (or a particularly accurate issue Remington Rand 1911A1 I have for that matter). The basic 1911 guns have really been good to me, always reliable and always gratifying.

This wasn't intended to draw out either snobbery or reverse snobbery (which is the worst of the two in personal opinion). I've been on firearms forums since about 2001 and actually had not seen an honest discussion having to do with "custom or not." Have seen more than a few dishonest ones. Some great comments posted here though.

I'm still pooch-mouthed that I can't shoot any 1911, at least normally right now. Guess I ought to delve in to weak hand practice, something I never really pursued outside of doing it as a stunt.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Since some have mentioned snobbery I will add what I posted in another thread a while back. When someones brand new wilson has to go back for repair the attitude is well it was made by humans and stuff happens. If I post about my brand new ruger going back we get 5 pages of ruger bashing. Why does the hand fit $3k gun get a pass on qc issues and the $500 gets bashed? I don't know about you guys but if I spent that kind of money on a gun and it was not perfect out of the box I'd be pissed. Afterall what are you paying for?

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
bmcgilvray - I guess it is human nature to some degree to disparage others' choices for just about whatever reason one fancies, I learned long ago to not place much stock in other people's opinions of my choices or my reasons for those choices; the only person I have to satisfy is myself really. So far it has been an interesting thread, and I'm sure there's more to say on the subject by others. My comment at this point is that I hope your shoulder recovers quickly and completely, and in the meantime the weak-hand practice can only do some good IMHO.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Oh yeah Grandpas50AE. I'd have long since been hopeless if I had to be concerned with others' opinions. I'm hopeless anyway as I much prefer to play with the "guns of my youth" rather than any of the latest and greatest models in today's gun manufacturers' catalogs. Uh oh! That could be construed as reverse snobbery. It's not though. I'm grateful that guns are still being produced and folks are able and interested in acquiring them. More folks and more guns means more American liberty, something which ought never go out of style.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Since some have mentioned snobbery I will add what I posted in another thread a while back. When someones brand new wilson has to go back for repair the attitude is well it was made by humans and stuff happens. If I post about my brand new ruger going back we get 5 pages of ruger bashing. Why does the hand fit $3k gun get a pass on qc issues and the $500 gets bashed? I don't know about you guys but if I spent that kind of money on a gun and it was not perfect out of the box I'd be pissed. Afterall what are you paying for?
Because the Wilson will be repaired for free with no shipping cost up to an including them building a new gun entirely as they did for me for a cosmetic issue that they couldn't get perfect.

I also challenge anyone with a stock colt type 1911 to head to head it against a custom on timer in any type of use and see what your personal results are. Even non-1911 shooter are astounded what their hard metrics look like, then step to 80 yards and do it again to make the differences even more clear.

I can fairly easily freehand my carry at 80 yards on a 8 inch plate and my full size at 110, can't really do that easily or with all the rounds in a mag with a colt

Reactions: simonp67

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
Oh yeah Grandpas50AE. I'd have long since been hopeless if I had to be concerned with others' opinions. I'm hopeless anyway as I much prefer to play with the "guns of my youth" rather than any of the latest and greatest models in today's gun manufacturers' catalogs. Uh oh! That could be construed as reverse snobbery. It's not though. I'm grateful that guns are still being produced and folks are able and interested in acquiring them. More folks and more guns means more American liberty, something which ought never go out of style.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. +1911 young man.

I still love my Ruger 10/22, which from my MUCH younger days was used to shoot rats at the local garbage dump....fast forward 53 or 54 years, there aren't any garbage dumps anymore. I remember when the Remington Nylon 66 was the rage; a great gun but the Ruger had "faster mag changes" lol. I guess stuff evolves, and the younger set always finds their own particular opportunities, just the way that things works. The modern firearms are the progression for particular purposes, but the classics remain classics for now; that will change as well, with some of today's modern guns that we don't give a second glance becoming tomorrow's "classics". Perhaps one day, if we last that long as a species, today's modern firearms will become "quaint relics from a bygone era".

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
This is the perfect time to own a 1911. Perfect. Whatever you buy, it is likely to work beautifully. At any price point. Gone are the days of really, really problematic 1911’s. 40 years ago, things were spotty. There was no internet for troubleshooting. Quality was hit or miss. You were lucky if whatever you bought would feed ball ammo. Parts did not arrive overnight.

I was in my LGS about a year ago. I was looking at a Glock 43. The owner, busy, looked at me in passing and said: “ It’s not your style.” And walked off. Sly grin as he walked off. He was right of course. I still don’t own a Glock.

I have a Korean American friend. Loves guns. Half my age. He used to make fun of my peculiar affliction (any 1911). Now that he has fired 500-1000 rounds from my 1911’s it would appear he is developing the same affliction.

Great handgun platform. I am thrilled to contribute to my friend’s delinquency. We all know that 1911’s multiply. Prolifically. Depends on how bad the disease is. Makes Covid look like the common cold. I read somewhere, maybe here, that guns have two enemies. Rust and politicians.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
Thanks much to all who have posted their thoughts on the topic. This 1911 thread was just ruminating on my part. The original post could have been drug induced rumination on my part for I had shoulder surgery a week ago. I think I dispensed with the twin narcotic prescriptions as more trouble than they were worth on the day I posted this.
This wasn't intended to draw out either snobbery or reverse snobbery (which is the worst of the two in personal opinion). I've been on firearms forums since about 2001 and actually had not seen an honest discussion having to do with "custom or not." Have seen more than a few dishonest ones. Some great comments posted here though.

I'm still pooch-mouthed that I can't shoot any 1911, at least normally right now. Guess I ought to delve in to weak hand practice, something I never really pursued outside of doing it as a stunt.
Ouch!!! Get well soon!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hi Striker;

I've whiled away a lot of time and ammunition shooting off hand at 5 1/2 inch spinning discs at out to 50 yards, either set up in the road 50 paces from the yard of our old family lake cabin or else here at the local club range. Been at it for years, just for an afternoon's entertainment. Factory stock Colt Government Models will thwack them with pleasing regularity with most or all of a magazine, if I am in a shooting humor. Sometimes it requires a bit of warming up to attain consistent hits. It's far more a matter of familiarity and repetition than it is what pistol is chosen.

For that matter a creaky ol' early 1950s K-Frame Smith & Wesson Military & Police snub .38 Special once surprised me with its capabilities at 50 yards on the discs once I got the hang of how to hold on target with the thing. Who'd a' thunk?

Not knocking the timers but I simply don't fool with 'em. Practicing in order to shave time for competition is not a part of my personal gun hobby. I can speed things up to a decent extent as needed, but don't expend a great effort in the practice. If the bad guys get me first then so be it.

Full disclosure: Much as I enjoy handguns and I do, I admire rifles most of all. Love deliberate precision shooting.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Because the Wilson will be repaired for free with no shipping cost up to an including them building a new gun entirely as they did for me for a cosmetic issue that they couldn't get perfect.

I also challenge anyone with a stock colt type 1911 to head to head it against a custom on timer in any type of use and see what your personal results are. Even non-1911 shooter are astounded what their hard metrics look like, then step to 80 yards and do it again to make the differences even more clear.

I can fairly easily freehand my carry at 80 yards on a 8 inch plate and my full size at 110, can't really do that easily or with all the rounds in a mag with a colt
I have sent a few rugers back for repair and never spent a dime on shipping. Some on the ruger forum have had entire guns replaced free of charge and even got upgrades as well.

I am not denying the quality benefits of the top tier builders but for what you pay they better be 100% out of the box.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with that. +1911 young man.

I still love my Ruger 10/22, which from my MUCH younger days was used to shoot rats at the local garbage dump....fast forward 53 or 54 years, there aren't any garbage dumps anymore. I remember when the Remington Nylon 66 was the rage; a great gun but the Ruger had "faster mag changes" lol. I guess stuff evolves, and the younger set always finds their own particular opportunities, just the way that things works. The modern firearms are the progression for particular purposes, but the classics remain classics for now; that will change as well, with some of today's modern guns that we don't give a second glance becoming tomorrow's "classics". Perhaps one day, if we last that long as a species, today's modern firearms will become "quaint relics from a bygone era".
Or one could say ...

Attachments

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
463 Posts
It is just BS to say that the fact that it's "custom" from Wilson, Baer, Brown or someone else, makes it better than every other factory 1911 out there. Better than some? Yes. Better than all? NO!
Nothing remotely “BS” about it. A Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, etc. will be a better 1911 than any mass-production 1911. Better fit, better parts, greater durability owing to more correct geometric relationships between parts throughout the firing cycle, and so on. (And full-custom guns from the best of the best pistolsmiths will raise the bar considerably higher from there.)

Everyone wants to believe he’ll get something for nothing, but, no, I’m sorry to tell you that your Colt, Kimber, Springfield, SIG Sauer, Taurus, or whatever other 1911 built by low-skilled assemblers who grab looser-tolerance parts from bins at random and spend about five minutes throwing each gun together is not going to equal a 1911 made with better materials and far greater attention to detail. Not even close.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The expensive 1911 production pistols should be very much better than any of the more mass produced 1911 pistols. With such a great difference in cost I would expect them to be so. When paying so much for the craft persons labor. They should darn sure better provide a superior weapon.

There are those that appreciate these 1911 pistols and are worth the price it takes to own them. I know that if I ever find an item that I am interested enough in and want to own it I would pay the price to purchase it. The very expensive 1911's are not what I choose to own. Shooting is a fun hobby and 1911's are my favorite pistols to use. But in the grand scheme of things they are not very important.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
Quality

As a guitarist, I see the same thing with guitars. A decent guitar can be had for about $200. If you want a significantly better guitar it's $1000. If you want the best sounding guitar, it's from $2000 - 4000. Beyond that the price is usually for something other than playability and sound.

Quality is exponential, not proportional.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts