1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost have it finished, I just have to touch up the finish here and there. The project went very smoothly throughout. My thanks to Caspian for producing a quality product. I ended up putting a Wilson u-notch rear site and a Hi-Viz front sight. Most all the other parts are Wilson and Ed Brown. It shoots great and the action is smooth as silk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caspian frame and slide ordered with no sight cuts and checkered front strap and beavertail cut and then;

Bar-Sto barrel
Wilson full length guide rod - 1 piece
STI hammer and sear
Ahrends stocks
Kings extended ejector
Ed Brown pin kit
EGW oversize firing pin stop
EB Match grade extractor
EB heavy duty firing pin
EB extended thumb safety
S&A flat housing Mag well
EB hammer strut
EB beavertail
Wilson slide stop
EB extended mag release
Briley disconnector
Wilson 38 super mags w/pads

The challenging part of the whole project was deciding how far down into the slide to cut in the sights. The rear sight is a Wilson u-notch without the tritium installed. The front sight was a Hi-Vis that came with interchangable inserts and the thing looks like a laser in the day but has a square top silloette for low light. When I test fired the first shot it landed about 1" to the left at 10 yards. Just where I wanted it. Luck or skill...who knows but its right where I wanted it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
That looks great! I'd be as proud as a new dad of that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
have you

Have you ever done this before? I have been thinking about building one myself, but I have never done it before. I have some tapes showing how and have been looking at some of the tools needed. It looks like I should be able to but I know that in the courses they always make it look easy. If this is not your first one how did the first one turn out, or have you been building them for a time now?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Greetings,
Nice list of quality parts and a fine job putting them all together.

Congrats! :D

ktmhk53

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's actually the second one from scratch. The first was from junk parts. I started small making my own modifications to 1911's, about 12 of them to fully understand the workings of them. Don't be afraid to try. You also have a great resource here on the forum if you run into trouble. It's a whole different thing when the gun your shooting or carrying was one made by yourself. My sons are already fighting over the gun, I may have to make another.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need for a ramped barrel unless your shooting supers at major power. The gun shoots great and holds about 1 1/2" at 25 yards. point of aim is basically the same with the high test and unleaded loads. Overall I am very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice work Joe!

What Bar-Sto barrel did you purchase for this project (9mm or 38 super)? Who re-chambered it to a 9x23?

Thanks,
Tom K

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I've hired that "Myself" guy to work on my guns, too....he works really cheap, doesn't he?:biglaugh: Must say, though, he did a much better job on yours than he ever did on my guns...;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tom K, The barrel is a Bar-Sto 9x23 drop in. For a drop in it fit real good with very little work on the hood- a few file strokes. If Irv could find a way to increase his production I'd be happy. Mine took about 2 months to get. You can also get it short chambered and ream it to the final dimensions.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A sweet shooter it is! Glad to see shooters who are not afraid to try building 9x23's. No mystery about it if you build them right. This is what the term "Pocket Rocket" was invented for.
What's your next project?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me and the Wife just bought a indoor shooting range. We are also offering training, gunsmith services and a gun shop. This may not leave me much time since I am also a school administrator. I think I am going to build a matching commander, but in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We will be taking over Ready,Aim,Fire in Bristol by the first of the year. I would welcome any forum members to come in and have a lane on me. Just mention that your a forum member.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info, JoeMc.

I ordered an unramped barrel from Bar-Sto last night (9x23 with oversized hood & lugs).

I'll let you know how I make out with the project.

Best of luck with your new endeavor.

Tom K

1 - 20 of 22 Posts