1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any other places than caspian or fusion to get quality frames and slides? also how would the foster(caspian blem frames) differ from a caspian? i noticed there is no brand mark on them and they are said to have cosmetic blems on them, are these actual metal gouges or an unfinished checkering or just machine marks. is the caspian logo worth paying for if im going to be duracoating the whole thing anyways? If anybody has past experience with buying all the parts for an entire build keeping budget and quality in mind as we all do with every venture we get into, please share!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Budget and quality are mutually exclusive in this hobby. To build a gun from scratch using reputable, first quality (but not necessarily the most costly) parts - EGW, C&S, Brown, Baer, Wilson, STI, SV, Schuemann or Kart, and so on - will likely cost $1000 minimum plus tools, and can easily go to $1500 if you're paying retail.

Every single time I've tried budget parts, that cost ends up in the overall cost of a first-quality-parts gun - but the parts don't end up in the gun. Don't bother with them if you intend to shoot the gun much.

You can buy a good quality new pistol for much less than the cost of building.

But it is satisfying to build your own. I've had very good experience with Essex frames - inexpensive and cast, but very good overall. Others report similar good results, still others report problems, and I've not tried their slides. Caspian is good also, but more expensive. Baer, RRA, Wilson etc. frames / slides are very expensive .

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
Brownells has prefitted slide/frame sets from STI and Les Baer. Caspian will fit a slide and frame for you.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I'm going to beg to differ. I don't think budget and quality are mutually exclusive at all. I think a lot of people see the word budget and automatically think "cheap".

Working within a budget doesn't mean you have to go cheap. It just means you will need to be careful deciding what to spend your money on and what not to.

Whatever you decide for a frame and slide, it may be worthwhile to get any work you don't want to do yourself done to it, so you can avoid having to pay to ship it around later.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find better prices on slide/frame work than Caspian/Foster. I think they only charge $50 to fit their frames/slides and sight cuts and other stuff from them is also very reasonable. It may be cheaper and easier than buying the tools to do some of those jobs yourself, or having them done elsewhere.

Is this going to be your first and only build, or just the first of many yet to come?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The first thing you have to decide is, do you want a top quality forged frame or is a cast frame good enough for your build? After you decide that, you will have narrowed it down some.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess what i will end up doing is buying piece by piece over a year or so, something major every month or so. caspian looks like my best bet, cant beat the quality and it can be custom engraved and serial numbered.

anybody know where to buy an aftr market frame and slide like sti edge?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Caspian is definately a quality manufacturer, and I have to admit I'm unsure of the blems possible on the Foster/Caspian but I think I'm going to buy a couple to build on. I have quite a few new high end parts laying around but what I lack I'll pick up here and there.

My biggest problem is I like building 1911s, but i'm accumulating too many. I think I might make it a nice Xmas for my dad and brothers this year hehe..

John P..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts