1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As said in earlier posts, I am new to the 1911 scene. I notice that a lot of people customize their guns; are all the parts interchangable? I have a DW PM7, so can I put say a wilson slide and an Ed Brown barrel on my gun? Are there any fit problems with different parts? Thanks, in advance GGJB.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Learn to shoot what you have before messing with the pistol. $500 on a long weekend "basic tactical pistol" course and ammo is money better spend than "accessorizing" or "customizing" your pistol.

Get the Brownells catalog on the M1911. Note all the parts with the notation "fitting required" or "gunsmith installion recommended."

-- Chuck

·
Registered
445 Posts
invicta39 said:
As said in earlier posts, I am new to the 1911 scene. I notice that a lot of people customize their guns; are all the parts interchangable? I have a DW PM7, so can I put say a wilson slide and an Ed Brown barrel on my gun? Are there any fit problems with different parts? Thanks, in advance GGJB.
Unless the part says drop-in you will most likely need to fit them and may need to fit them anyway, you shouldn't need to replace anything big for a while. Maybe a trigger or mainspring housing something like that but nothing too major, take your gun out and shoot it as much as you can to see what you want to replace first if anything. From what I see on here Dan Wesson makes a very nice gun and shouldn't need too much customizing.

If you want something extra special you can send the gun off to one of the many very good smiths that post on these forums and get a truly custom gun built. You will need to know what to ask for though so getting very familiar with your gun will be your first task, then search for posts of custom guns on here to get an idea of what you might like.

·
Registered
703 Posts
invicta,

You have a great gun as it is. You state you're new to the 1911 scene, and thus I assume you're relatively new to pistol shooting. So, I agree with Chuck S. Spend $500 (what you're talking about replacing the slide and barrel) for a course at Chapman Academy just north of Columbia--not too far since you state you are in Kansas City. In years past when I lived in the KC area I took a couple of courses there. It was excellent training, a low student to instructor ratio, and a lot of shooting. It is a great facility. Its name may not be as big as some of the more well known places, but the instruction was first rate. I have not been there in a few years, but I would sure check it out.
They're on the web at chapmanacademy.com
There are a few other excellent courses around the nation, and some that aren't so good. Try to found out all you can about each before plunking down a lot of cash.

Rob S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts