1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baer owners,

I'm thinking of getting a full size 1911 to match my 4" Kimber.

I've looked at both models on Baer's web site, so if money was not a big concern, which would you pick and why?

Since they're both going to shoot 1.5" at 50yds (theoretically), then why would I *not* want to get the UM 5"?

I'm sure both are sound pistols, I'm just curious if it's worth the extra $$$.

(I know the Carry model comes with night sites already installed - which is good. I would get the UM with night sites as an optional item. Other than that, which would you choose?)

Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
141 Posts
What are you looking for, a carry gun or a competition gun? It doesn't make much sense to me to put night sights on a compensated gun with an extended mag release and try to carry it. If you want a really nice carry gun (and are willing to spend the extra money), check out the SRP. Mine is absolutely beautiful.

I don't hear too much about the Custom Carry; if Les doesn't make too many of them, be prepared to wait 12-16 weeks. You might want to look at the Thunder Ranch Special instead, since it's widely available at about the same price. The thin grips make it great for concealed carry.

If you're looking for a dealer, Thomas Lanham at Wateree Arms (803-695-7056) keeps a good selection of Baers in stock.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Craig,

I'm looking for neither really. I do want a highly tuned, highly accurate full size 1911. Granted, if I can't shoot it well, then it won't do me any good. But, I have the Kimber 4" as my everyday carry piece. I don't know if I could handle a full size 1911 every day.

BTW, I missed the fact that the UM5 has a compensator included in the specs/price.

I never even really noticed the SRP model. I took a look at it on the web site and it does look nice. How would you compare the SRP to the Premier II 5"?

[This message has been edited by nickcarr (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nickcarr,There are actually three different pistols wee call Ultimate Masters.A 5inch A 6 inch and one with a compensator.The ultimates are our top end models. They have all the features of the premier 2 plus some extra features like a magwell,serrated top and rear of slide,checkering on the trigger guard, 3-1/2lb. pull.For people wanting a all around gun most go for the premier2.A premier 2,custom carry, or ultimate master will run about 6 weeks delivery time.For what it's worth I bought the Ultimate Master 5in.with a few extra personal touches.

------------------
Jim Budde

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim,

Craig has now got me looking at the TRS.

[I never really noticed it on the web site before. I've heard of people talking about it, but I didn't pay it mind.]

Anyway, do you let customers customize a TRS? For example, if I wanted a speed trigger instead of the match?

Extra questions:

1. Why no full length guide rod on the TRS?
2. Is the 1.5" guarantee available on the TRS?

Thanks,
-Nick

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
nickcarr, I can't speak for all Baer pistols but I can tell you the TRS is an AMAZING gun and IMO the best 1911 deal out there. I'm a true believer in these guns, so much that I bought 2 of them. As far as I know Baer will install a different trigger if you desire. I had them hard chrome and fit some extra parts to my second TRS, so they should work with you. Why no full length guide rod? Simply because you don't need one and Clint Smith didn't want anything on the gun you don't need. I don't know if Baer will give his 1.5" guarantee on the TRS. If you buy the TRS you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you order the gun from LBC, you can get pretty much any parts substitutions you want, but you'll have to wait a while. One of the advantages of the TRS is that it's a very good package as is, and most of the retailers who deal with Les Baer have them in stock. When I needed mine fast, I was able to call my dealer and have it in my hands the next day.

I don't have a Premier II, but going from the description on the web site, the SRP has combat night sights (Novak-like), a checkered mainspring housing, Bear Coat on the entire gun (including the hammer, trigger, and barrel housing), a full length guide rod, three magazines instead of one, a presentation box, and a 2.5" guarantee with the HP ammo of your choice.

[This message has been edited by craigz (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig, you sure like your SRP don't you?

No, it's looks good, and I admit, it sounds like you're getting your moneys worth. I still haven't decided for sure, but I'm liking the TRS more and more.

I need to go see one in person first.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by nickcarr:
Jim,

Craig has now got me looking at the TRS.

[I never really noticed it on the web site before. I've heard of people talking about it, but I didn't pay it mind.]

Anyway, do you let customers customize a TRS? For example, if I wanted a speed trigger instead of the match?

Extra questions:

1. Why no full length guide rod on the TRS?
2. Is the 1.5" guarantee available on the TRS?

Thanks,
-Nick
Nick,to answer your questions 1.Yes you can have a speed trigger. 2.FLGR, no problem there either.3. WE don't offer the 1-1\2 option on the TRS. However most all of them will shoot better than the standard 3 inch guarantee anyway.

------------------
Jim Budde

1 - 9 of 9 Posts