1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two Colt 2nd Generation Series 70s. One is blue and one is stainless.

I have been carrying a Kimber with plans to send one or both of these two guns off to some big name pistolsmith to turn them into the ultimate carry gun. Any decent smith seems to be asking at least $1000 for the work I would want. I would want better sights, beavertail grip safety, single-sided extended thumb safety, commander hammer, dehorn/refinish, etc.

I could not help but notice how so many people on this forum are perfectly happy with the Model O Package from the Colt Custom Shop. Should I go with the O Package or find me a big name pistolsmith.

So I was thinking...the $375 Model O Package would get me the sights, beavertail, commander hammer, dehorn/refinish. I would have to pay extra for the single-sided extended thumb safety. But this would still be much less than the typical big name pistolsmith would charge.

My blued gun came by mistake with a plastic MSH. I feel like I can get this swapped out for free for a steel one since it was a mistake at the factory.

Is there anything else I should consider?

Should I leave the factory short steel trigger alone, or should I go ahead and replace it with a medium or long aluminum one while I am at it?

What about the ejection port? Should I have it lowered, lowered and flaired, or leave it alone?

I would like to get this right the first time. I have a great deal of experience carrying and shooting Colt and Kimber 1911s, but I have never had any custom work done. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
At least on the trigger. I like a long one but my cousin likes a short one. I think it is the size of your hand and what feels good, and how you shoot with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts