1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacing my stolen Wilson from two weeks ago. Just looking for some feedback on this build.

Base handgun - Wilson CQB
.45 ACP
Armor-Tuff Black Slide
Armor-Tuff Grey Frame
All small parts black

Flush cut / Reverse crown barrel
Flute chamber - matte barrel
Black G10 Starburst
Bulletproof round butt one piece magwell
Bulletproof ambi safety
Ryan high grip frame mod
Counter sink and flatten slide stop pin
Move CQB markings to dust cover - naked slide

Anything I need to add before I place the order Monday?

Also looking for a OWB holster to compliment this build. Open carry so I need something I can wear with a suit or jeans on the weekend. Was thinking Elephant from possibly Wilson as well...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Sorry to hear that your gun was stolen. Sounds like a pretty nice build. Even if you aren't sure what options you want, you can always make changes up until it's kitted.

As far as holsters go, I would recommend you take a look at TT Gunleather. His work is top notch. I don't think he is offering Elephant trim anymore, but Shark trim is still an option.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Replacing my stolen Wilson from two weeks ago. Just looking for some feedback on this build.

.45 ACP
Armor-Tuff Black Slide
Armor-Tuff Grey Frame
All small parts black

Black G10 Starburst
Bulletproof one piece magwell
Bulletproof ambi safety
Ryan high grip frame mod

Also looking for a OWB holster to compliment this build. Open carry so I need something I can wear with a suit or jeans on the weekend. Was thinking Elephant from possibly Wilson as well...

Since you asked. Yes. Flatten the slide stop pin, serrate the top of the slide, add a gold bead front sight, change your magwell to the round butt magwell, move your rollmarks to the dust cover leaving a naked slide. Add ball end mill cuts. Change the trigger to solid and natural, your choice of length. Leave the bushing natural. Thank me later.

·
Super Moderator
14,601 Posts
Since you asked. Yes. Flatten the slide stop pin, serrate the top of the slide, add a gold bead front sight, change your magwell to the round butt magwell, move your rollmarks to the dust cover leaving a naked slide. Add ball end mill cuts. Change the trigger to solid and natural, your choice of length. Leave the bushing natural. Thank me later.
I would flatten the slide stop pin only if it is getting a countersunk pin. I agree with the gold bead front sight (my personal favorite), and the round butt magwell. In the rest of your suggestions - those would also be my choices for aesthetic reasons, but the ss pin, gold bead front sight, and rbmw are functional choices I would make first if trying to save money and get more function than appearance - sometimes folks are trying to weigh those options.

As a matter of choice, I would make the same options selections you did - you have good taste my friend.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
That gold-bead is a champ, and probably/arguably the all around "best". I have one on my EP. The F.O. wins out in "absolute" speed of acquiring it though, but I was doing some 1:1 tests recently and the only time I noticed the FO had a distict speed advantage was on doing "Bill-Drills" with a timer (just a little easier, talking milli-seconds to pick it up coming out of the holster). How practical/necessary is it to optimize for Bill Drill performance? Well... The other great advantage of the gold-bead is that it is much more less likely to wash out the top of the sight for precision shot...I have one GB on the EP, my 3 others WC have FO, I will be converting some of them to GB over time (but not all of them).....I do not think WC offers it but for me, a White dot (I have one on my Turnbull Mnf. Commander) works as least as good as a GB, just as an FYI.

On the aesthetic side, I like the round but, recessed slide stop. Not too concerned with too many dodads though.

Let us know your final decisions just for fun.
C.A.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

.45 ACP

Armor-Tuff Black Slide

Armor-Tuff Grey Frame

All small parts black

Black G10 Starburst

Bulletproof ambi safety

Ryan high grip frame mod

I would flatten the pin and add a gold bead.

Holsters-I've owned a few Wilson holsters but I prefer custom. The fit and finish is better IMHO. I HIGHLY recommend TT Gunleather, R Grizzle, and Del Fatti. The shortest wait is TT Gunleather I believe, around 6-7 weeks. I have an elephant holster, mag carrier, and belt that should be here in a few weeks. I specifically ordered that rig with TX open carry in mind!

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are several nice suggestions as to your build so I will only make a holster suggestion. I have several Adams Leatherworks holsters that I use for my 1911's. I don't believe he uses exotic hides but you have base color choices as well as airbrush highlight color choices. His holsters are as well made as any that I have seen. You can also order matching leather mag pouches. I am waiting on Adams holster # 6 with matching double mag pouch. Redish base with black highlights.

·
Registered
913 Posts

.45 ACP
Armor-Tuff Black Slide
Armor-Tuff Grey Frame
All small parts black

Black G10 Starburst
Bulletproof ambi safety
Ryan high grip frame mod

For aesthetic reasons, I would also add the Heavy Machine Chamfer on the bottom of the slide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here are the adjustments

1) Moving the CQB markings to the dust cover to give me a naked slide?

2) On the magwell can I do a round butt bulletproof

3) Can we bead blast the barrel to give it a nice matte look

4) Counter sink and flatten the
Slide stop pin.

·
Super Moderator
14,601 Posts
Here are the adjustments

4) counter sink and flatten the
Slide stop pin.
1) - I think you will like it better that way.
2) - Yes, specify the round butt magazine well.
3) - Yes, I think it is called "matte barrel" in their current options list
4) - I think you will like this very much.

Have a great time putting together the build and being patient to get it the way you want it, most often that is an extra reward in itself.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

My pal Raylan has great taste and I'd build mine this way.

Here are the adjustments

4) Counter sink and flatten the
Slide stop pin.
1) - I think you will like it better that way.
2) - Yes, specify the round butt magazine well.
3) - Yes, I think it is called "matte barrel" in their current options list
4) - I think you will like this very much.

Have a great time putting together the build and being patient to get it the way you want it, most often that is an extra reward in itself.
Great enhancements G50

CA offers good clarity around the GB vs FO. I'm switching some of mine from GB to FO for this reason. Very dependent on use and individual eyes.

OP: Give that trigger length serious thought. Too many folks think a long trigger is the best while for most it isn't. At the very least consider leaving the trigger solid. You may find that over time this becomes a more palatable appearance. Individual aesthetic to be sure and YMMV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a ton guys.

Last Wilson had the serrated top and just ended getting filled with dirt, mud, ect so skipping that on this build. I tend to run my gear pretty hard.

The gold dot just dosen't work with my eyes so that is out as well.

Other then that I'm 50/50 on the solid trigger.

Anyone know of anything else we are missing? I truly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Great set up now. RBMW is the only way to go. Bead blasted bbl's look great as does your color combo! Congrats.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Can't beat a solid trigger in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
14,601 Posts
Thanks a ton guys.

Last Wilson had the serrated top and just ended getting filled with dirt, mud, ect so skipping that on this build. I tend to run my gear pretty hard.

The gold dot just dosen't work with my eyes so that is out as well.

Other then that I'm 50/50 on the solid trigger.

Anyone know of anything else we are missing? I truly appreciate the help.
No problem on the reasons for your choices, your usage and conditions will always determine the particular options you choose. Other than that it seems you have made good choices.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Gig Em!!!!!

Sorry. Dad was an Aggies-class of 49.

I just took delivery of the Wilson Combat Practical Carry and like it a lot. It has felt lining. You can get the optional belt attachment enabling you to change the cant.

I can't add to the foregoing suggestions, but get what YOU want.

Oh, are you definitely set on .45?

FBF

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend the new aggressive starburst grips over the older, plain black. The plain black were way too slippery, and if you're a hard use guy, you'll thank me later!

I went with the gray/black with both my CQB Compacts, one is matte stainless, the other is black over gray. Both look fantastic with the gray/black ones. Wilson does offer them in black, so you're good either way. Definitely specify flat bottom with the round butt mag well.

One of mine, the stainless, has the traditional 3-hole long trigger, the black over gray has a medium length black solid trigger, which seems to look and function better for me.

The round butt mag well is the "bomb"! And, if it were mine, I would definitely do the heavy machine chamfer on the bottom of the slide (both of mine have this). It is aesthetics only, as Joshua1911 said, but so are some of the other choices you and the rest of us made.

Pics of both can be seen in this sub-forum for comparison, in Wilson photo thread, and if you weren't in Berryville, this is what you missed......

Sounds like a well thought out and planned build. Obligatory pictures when she's built!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news,

Emailed the order over to Alex Youngblood on Tuesday or Wednesday

Just waiting to hear back from him that they have received it and pay off the deposit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts