1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
I've been very happy with my S&W Model 22, and would consider it, in stock form, a pretty good weapon. Mine has had the factory action job, and other than some more-hand filling grips, and a different front sight - I'd like a narrowed fiber optic or gold bead - there's not much room for improvement. I like the SDM Fabricating sights, but they're too tall for my gun, so would have to have something made to fit. I'll be interested in additional replies, too.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
An out of the box stock Python, would be a truly wonderful "custom"

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'd get a S&W 25
and send it to Hamilton Bowen
and tell him what it's use will be
and spec. the barrel at 3" then go
with his recommendations.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

or Jarvis Inc. - Bill Jarvis - Hamilton Montana

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/

or CYlinder & Slide

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

or CLark Custom sorry haven't earmarked the link

oh, if you do go to one of the above web sites
don't forget to don your bib to protect the
keyboard from DROOL...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Whales and Elephants?. You know it! :) WE = Wyoming Express
It is the Freedom Arms equivalent of the 500 Linebaugh
440 grain bullets at 1400+ FPS...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Years ago gun writer did an article on a S&W model 13 or 65 3" that was worked on by Mag-na-port of Michigan. I seem to recall that he thought qquite highly of the whole package. No matter what you pick have a Good gunsmith do the work. Perhaps Cylender&Slide (sorry for the spelling.) Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
This is a S&W 25-2 in .45 ACP that Karl Sokol at CMS cut back to 4" for me a few years ago. It's my favorite and really shines with Black Hills new .45 Auto Rim with the 255 gr SWC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
S&W N frame, 44 Special or 45 Colt or 45 ACPS, 3" tapered barrel, slicked up action, maybe Magnaported, bright fiber optic or Trijicon front sight, one of these indestructible aftermarket rear sights, round butt grips in Hogue, Pachmayr or high quality wood of your choice.

I definitely prefer( almost require them on a revolver which may throw a wide range of projectles varying greatly in weight) adjustable sights becaue I have personal knowledge of 2 cases where a jacked up speed/crack/PCP headed whackjob with a sharp object to the throat of a child and a kidnap victim had to be removed from the equation by a juduciously calculated headshot; so the importance of POA and POI have been shown to me to be of the utmost in importance, much moreso than we realize.

Such a handgun throwing a 200-240 grain hard SWC at 850-950 fps in the 44or a 225-250 grain at the same velocity for 45 Colt or 230 HP, SWC or truncated cone flat point at an actual velocity of 850 to 900 in 45ACP would be effective, user friendly and dependable.

When sighted for a dead-on hold at 10 yards or less these would be a comfortable hedge against the "Phantom Armies of the Night". Depending on hand size, which is more important than most of us realize.

The same rig could be worked up in a &W 696 3 inch, 5 shot revolver on the L frame or maybe one of the lighter Tauruses. Also the scandium framed 45 ACP S&W, the model # of which escapes me....model 325? with 2 inch barrel with a few similar modificiations could offer a lightweight alternative. The possiblities are only limited by your imagination and wallet but it's GOT to work every time, hit where it's aimed, and be carryable enough to be with you; not under the car seat, in the safe or in a briefcase, tote bag when the need arises. Your results may vary

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Grip Adapter - conforms to the front of the grip frame
becomeing thicker as it follows the vertical until it
fills that area behind the trigger guard & top of the
front of the grip/frame. Used with the stock magna
(S&W) grips - gives a fuller grip & position of the hand.

.45 ACP loads
Leadhead 200 gr. SWC @ 1,025 FPS
.45 AR - I have in the above as well as
Barnes XPB* 225 gr. HP @ 945 FPS
* solid copper - retains 99% bullet weight

I like the 625 loaded with the Barnes bullet/load
and use .45 ACP 230 gr. Gold Dot in FUll Moon clips
for reloads.

THe Leadhead SWC 200 gr. feed easily with full moon
clips as well - chamfered cyl. holes and they
also feed flawlessly in my 1911 I've got
a lot of 500 Hornady XTP JHP 200 gr. I'll load to
1,000 FPS in AR and ACP as another option.

Any body know if the Lew Horton Model 25 serial
number run guns is a pinned barrel? just curious.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I can't show you a Bowen but this is another one by Karl Sokol at CMS that began life as an S serial numbered 58 that was reborn as a 4" 45 Colt.

Good enough to ride the river with I reckon..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts