1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.

I have read the discussion on Galco holster
on the other thread which led me to wonder whatis the definition of "Custom" holster as
opposed to "Production" holster.

Who falls under a "Custom" category?
Also, what is a definition of "Hand" made?

Thanking you in advance for your POVs.

45 ACP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had an impression from the past postings
that Alessi,Sparks,Rosen and Rafter S were
regarded to be in the "Custom" category and
Bianchi, Galco, Safariland and Uncle Mike's
were in the "Production" category. If so,
why? Do these "Custom" makers do tailor-made
-to-order holsters?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I work at Rafter S Gunleather . Each Holster is handmade by me or one of our four employees / Bosses . They are Handrubbed and everything is Handled one at a time . So I guess we are Custom plus we do differant things such as IWBs and shirt gaurds on a Custom order basis . Look forward to seeing you .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Caldwell, thank you for your reply.
I own one of your your rig (Holster, mag pouch & belt) and I appreciate your craftmanship.

So, the definition of custom holsters are that they are hand made and also a customer can request any alteration on the basic design.

Regarding the "Hand made", are tanning, cutting, fitting (Molding), stiching and burnishing all done by hand with hand tools
and done internally?

45 ACP

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well , the leather is purchased from a supplier , to much trouble to Tan the amount of leather we use.
The rest is handled by hand though , the Stitching is done on a machine but is ran by a real live person , usually Steve or Della doe's the stittching . I do the Shark laminating , cutting , stamping and molding , but we all chip in at dfferant points to help . We are a small 3 person and sometimes four person operation for now it works just fine .

·
Registered
347 Posts
In general, I would define a CUSTOM holster (or anything else for that matter) as one which is made to order with certain flexibility as to the features the customer may select for the holster.

A production holster is one which is made with the standard features the maker offers and would usually be made to stock, not to order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DBR, thank you for your POV and I think
you are right.

It seems that what's regarded as custom holsters are sometimes confused by mixing up "Hand made" and "Tailor made design to order" . In this context, Rosen, Sparks and Alessi are "Hand made" but "Production" holsters.

45 ACP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts