1911Forum banner

Custom II stainless or SW1911 stainless?

926 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  mitrod3
I've oned one Kimber which was the custom II model with internal extractor. It worked great had to sell it because I needed money. I've been looking at the Smith 1911 and been hearing good things. The smith is $25 cheaper and comparable to the Custom Stainless II. I'm posting this in the Kimber board because I know I'll get fair and honest answers. Any reason I should go with one or the other? I'm looking at the full size models I don't trust anything smaller with all the bad things I've heard on all the boards about shorter length 1911's. I've heard S&W's customer service is fantastic, they pay shipping both ways and often times include extra mag's or wood grips for the trouble of sending it in. I've also read that people have sent Kimbers in only to have the returned without the problems corrected. I do realize that there are WAY more Kimbers out there and just the sheer numbers of them will mean more occasional problems. Please help this is last 45 I'm going to buy and I want to make the right decision!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8,302 Posts
which one really grabs you?

i have both (basically) as i own the S&W Basic Stainless and a new Custom II, but that one is the non stainless one.

both are just plain fine guns although my Custom II does have a tighter bushing/barrel fit than the S&W and thus shoots just a touch tighter groups. for defensive purposes either will get the job done just fine....actually, very well. tight groups close up and COM at 25 yards which is fine for me.

only other issue was the trigger on the S&W. they seem to be loosely fitted and it took a touch of getting used to, but once i got used to it she was fine. not sure if the newer ones are still coming with the loosely fitted triggers.

i would have no problems recommending either gun. S&W did get the external extractor thing right, but the full sized Kimber's seem to run just fine. i have had two of them and both ran without one single hitch.

never had to use S&W service, but Kimber service did a fine job when i had mepro sights put on my Custom II.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like the lower novak sights, neither are tritium, so it's really a moot point I'm sure I'll eventually replace them. Also I noticed the S&W had lines on the front strap which seem to grip a little better than the slick Custom II. The only other real selling point of the S&W over the Kimber is that it comes with two 8 round mags, although I haven't heard if they are good mags. I do like the black and silver highlights on the S&W instead of all silver. The Kimber appeared to have a lighter trigger pull then the S&W or at least it was more crisp. I let everyone know which one I go with but I'm leaning towards the Smith because of the cheaper price and two 8 round mags instead of one 7. Also I did notice a Kimber Custom 25th Aniversary edition NIB there! They wanted $830 which seemed a little high for the plain blued, although it had the aniversary grips and internal extractor.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
the mags that came with the S&W have worked just fine in it and my other 1911 .45s.

i also liked the blend of black and stainless on the S&W....one reason i went for it.

for me, i had $35.00 fluff and buff (by local smith) trigger jobs on both to get them down to 3.5 lbs. which is where i like all my guns, but the Kimber NIB did have a slightly lighter trigger than the S&W NIB to start with.

enjoy....whichever way you go.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.