1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey 1911 Forum family, I hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving! I wanted to share a little project I just wrapped up on Saturday... I am looking for feedback/thoughts on what I have done. Thoughts on if I should do more work later on down the road or just leave it like it is. Enjoy the pics of my first custom build

Thinking of Tri-toping it, front strap checkering, maybe a few subtle slide lightening cuts, blending the magwell, lining the top of the slide with some detail work, blending the bushing and putting in a 45 degree cut... Just go all out on it?

I do not post often but when I do, I try to make my posts worth it... I dont post just to post! With that said... I wanted to share, get thoughts, listen for suggestions on this project!

I have been working on this for around 6 months (or more). When time allowed I would take 45 mins to 1 hour to tinker around. I just finished it up and figured I would share the pics I took along the way.
This started as a Kimber Custom II
- First we took out all the internals and converted this into a 70 series pistol
- Kart Barrel was fit to the pistol
- National Match Bushing was then fit to the barrel and slide
- Milled the front cocking serrations off the slide (kept the same angle as the rear serrations... Hi-Power Cuts)
- Fit the Slide to Frame
- Fit 2 Hole Trigger
- Installed a Kimber Magwell
- Swapped out old springs for Infinity (SVI) springs
- We did a full boat trigger job with Infinity (SVI) sear and disconnector (Full SVI Ignition System)
- Infinity (SVI) pins upgrade
- Infinity (SVI) Guide Rod
- Milled and Melted in an Infinity (SVI) adjustable rear sight
- Installed Brazos Lightning Rod F/O Front sight
- Full Cerakote job: Snipe Grey (Slide/all small parts) and Satin Aluminum (Frame/Hammer).
- VZ Operator Zebra on order with Turbo Screws

*I picked this pistol up out of the classifieds in a different forum I belong to... here is what it looked like when I got it from him.

*The first thing I did was mill the slide for Bomar rear sights so I could install an Infinity SVI rear sight.

*Then I welded the Slide and Frame where the Schwartz safety parts were supposed to go

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
*I then put the slide on the vice and took measurements, I laid out some ideas of what I wanted to cut, and also lined up where the "Hi Power" cuts would go to so that the angle stayed the same as the rear cocking serrations

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wow, great result, and thanks for posting the machining pics - neat to see how it's done. I saw the black stocks and went back and re-read your parts list and saw you have some nice ones on order. Post an update pic when you get them installed - I'm sure it will add a lot to the look.

I'm not a fan of FCS, and the High Power cuts really do a nice job of taking care of them.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice! Now it's a custom, Custom II.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the kind words! It makes me want to continue doing stuff like this. I have cerakoted hundreds of pistols. This is the first one I have milled! For a first shot on the mill, I think it came out rather nice!

VZ's next on the list... Ill post more pics once I get those on there!!

Thoughts on leaving it alone or doing more to it as talked about in the OP?

·
Registered
127 Posts
As I read your first post I said to myself "What's he thinking". Now I see what you were thinking and your vision was tremendous. Nicely done.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I read your first post I said to myself "What's he thinking". Now I see what you were thinking and your vision was tremendous. Nicely done.
^^Ha, this made me laugh because when I was explaining my project to a friend... he told me I was crazy and that I was going to ruin a nice Kimber. Now he's begging me to sell it to him...

Thanks for the compliments Nellybelle!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
amazing work!! Have you considered making a business out of cerakoting?
Yes:) I already own a cerakote company! Out of respect for forum rules, I will not announce my companies name, I do not want to comment much more on the business aspect as I am not a Forum Vendor.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts