1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like your opinions on the Springfield Custom Loaded Micro-Compact 1911-A1. Im looking to purchase a small 1911 that is reliable. Would this be the gun for me?

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
MBOFFICER said:
Hello, I would like your opinions on the Springfield Custom Loaded Micro-Compact 1911-A1. Im looking to purchase a small 1911 that is reliable. Would this be the gun for me?
No.

Micros were discussed in this thread, and I talked about the nightmare I had with mine there.

I go with the government models now, and military specifications.

Smaller than 5" government models, or tighter than milspecs, and the weapon becomes unreliable.

On top of that, the micro isn't easier to conceal, and it doesn't feel lighter.

There's no gain, there's just less reliability and higher cost.

The Springfield Milspec makes an excellent primary weapon, and the loaded model is built to the same specs. The TRP, however, is tightened, and so I went with the milspec and the loaded models.

Now the only gripes I have about the loaded model is the gas pedal thumb safety, the bump in the grip safety, and the unnecessary full length guide rod, but I'm considering learning to live with them.

I won't be without the milspec, though, and I won't ever own anything smaller again.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have not heard many good comments about the Micros. I ended up getting the Ultra Compact, which has a 3 1/2" Barrel and a steel frame. I have put 1200 rounds through it and have not had a single failure. I have found it conceals nicely and it is very accurate. It is a little heavy, but this helps greatly on the recoil. There have been a few to report problems with the Ultra Compact also, but it seems the complaints are substantially less IMHO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I loved mine up until I started reading these posts. I have never had a problem with mine but I think mine may have had a "Defensive Package" installed by SA before I bought it. I still love it but since reading these posts I have begun doubting it and wondering if mine is going to turn out to be as big a piece of crap as most of these guys say theirs was.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean. After reading all the negative feedback Im starting to have secon thoughts... :confused:

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Guys, the thing to do once the money has been spent is to go to the range.

I would discourage anyone from buying one based on their record vs. the record of the milspec, but once it's yours, the issue is finding out whether or not the one you have is reliable. If it is, I would say that the record of the rest of the micros in the world doesn't matter. I just think the odds are against the one you have being truly reliable.

None of the micros, ultras, compacts or defenders I've been around ever went more than 100 rounds at once with no malfunctions.

I've run 300 rounds in one sitting through my milspec with no malfunctions, took it home, put it away, took it back out and ran 300 more. After that, I cleaned it.

If your micro can do that, then I probably wouldn't worry. I've just never seen one that could, and I've seen several that couldn't. For that reason, I would test a micro a lot harder, and demand a lot more from it than I would a milspec. The milspec is proven, the micro is new. I would demand that it go more like 1,000 rounds of FMJ without a hitch, and I would demand that it go 500 rounds of the ammo I planned to carry without a malfunction. If it failed to return to battery on the carry ammo, (most likely) if it started slamming shut when you slam a reload into it, if it failed to eject, or if it destroyed it's recoil mechanism, I would start negotiations with Lisa at Springfield about what they were going to replace it with.

I've run 600 rounds of FMJ through my milspec without cleaning, and I've run 500 rounds of carry ammo through it without cleaning, all with no malfunctions. I have confidence in it.

50, 100 or 200 rounds doesn't really impress me, and when I hear someone say that they've put 100 rounds through their new weapon and it's dead reliable, I just roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

My milspec goes thousands between malfunctions, and then it's usually either my fault or because the springs are getting weak. My loaded has yet to do that, but that's because it's new, it has less than 500 rounds through it. Once all the garbage is replaced, I have high hopes for it.

I wouldn't carry a weapon that malfunctions every couple hundred rounds, and I don't understand why someone would.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I will disagree that the GM is as concealable as the micro, obviously.

But I will agree that you should not get one if you want a reliable gun. I now have a compact (4") and it has been perfect so far for ~100 rounds. I'm sitting on 350 more though, so I'll let you know as soon as I can get out there.

I also just got a Brommeland MCV for it, and it carries like a dream. To me, the grip is much more of an issue than the barrel. With the officer's frame, it doesn't dig into my side, and I don't print. For my size, the 5" would be a bit much, but many people can pull it off. If you can, that's preferable...but if you can't, don't go smaller than 4".

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Even though this is the Springfield Forum, I still prefer the Colt Defender in this small of a package. You don't hear too many bad things about the Defender.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
col132 said:
Even though this is the Springfield Forum, I still prefer the Colt Defender in this small of a package. You don't hear too many bad things about the Defender.
I will agree with that. As far as 3"ers go, the Colt seems to have the best record. But having had first hand experience w/ a dud, I'm not willing to try again, no matter who makes it.

·
0 Posts
I've got well over 1K through my micro mil-spec w/o a single malfunction. It shoots great all ammo same POA/POI. My carry load is 230 Gr. Gold Dot. I have shoot 300-400 rounds at a time (twice) w/o cleaning no problems. I trust this gun and it is a tack driving little SOB.

·
Registered
379 Posts
the only thing i have heard negative about 3' mircros is feeding issues with SOME AMMO!!.

mainly because of the superseep feedramps. so all you have to do is run some defensive ammo through it until it shoots it reliably and you have the winner.....:)

i have a glock 30.(sub compact.3" barrel .45.) that WILL NOT SHOOT WINCLEAN. why, it just wont, it tends to like ammo with an overall length around 1.205 instead of the 'norm" of about 1.230 or so....

·
Registered
7 Posts
micro compact

I've had a Micro Compact for 6 months now and only on the first magazine did I experience a FTF. About 400 rounds since w/o problems. I am concerned though with all the negitive comments out here. I've had several 3" barrel .45acp firearms and have never had any problems with them. ( Star, Colt, Detonics) I just recieved my ccw last week, I can't believe I finally have it! Not easy in Ca. I'll keep shooting this little .45 alot to make sure it is reliable. - David
Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jammer Six said:

None of the micros, ultras, compacts or defenders I've been around ever went more than 100 rounds at once with no malfunctions.

Neither did the full size Mil-Spec that I used to own would either.

My ultra compact is a better gun that the my former full size was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts