1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally this P16 had a BMCS adjustable rear sight and a funky dovetail cut front. The rear sight looked bad because it hung way over the rear of the slide and the front was...well just too funky. My options on how to put a nice set of fixed sights on were not looking too good. One call to pistol wrench saved the day. He manufactured the rear sight from scratch and restored the front of the slide to a condition so he could mill in a Heinie dovetail front sight. His design, creativity, and execution is amazing. In my opinion this pistol really has about the nicest sight picture available. In the front sight image below you can barley see his repair job; in fact if you didn’t know about the repair it would be imposable to even notice. Thank you Chuck for the most excellent job, I couldn’t be happier. Nor could the guy who owns the pistol. You helped save this P16 from permanent retirement. Also Chuck notice the perfect height on the front sight after sight in. Oh well check out Chucks fantastic job in the images below.....TGR

·
Registered
22,351 Posts
Very neat.
There was an outfit in Texas that used to make a fixed sight to fit a low Bomar cut. I thought that was a good idea for some uses but apparently it did not sell well enough to stay on the market.

·
Registered
459 Posts
TGR
What was the fabrication and installation cost for this work? As others have said very sweet!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This is a winner! I could generate an order for 2 or 3 of these! I know shooters who start out with adjustable sights then change their mind and want to switch.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would LOVE a set for my STI...i hate adjustable sights but they werent willing to put a fixed set on the edge...without charging the custom shop fee. This would be a great idea and seems like it would be easy to change the profile to fit the shape of the gun...you interested in maybe making a few of these?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Guys, I am fortunate enough to have Chuck for a friend and have him live less than 20 miles away. Anytime I've gone over to his shop and watched him work, it's so pathetically evident that Chuck's a master machinist in every sense of the term. He's been more help to me, than I can say as I wasn't trained as a machinist, but just watching him work or picking his brain has been a tremendous help to myself and others. He also said that he's thinking of making a fixed type sight himself, and with enough encouragement from forumites we might just get that in the works :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi rwmagnus, I can truly say Chuck Rogers’s fee was very reasonable. I’m sure he would be happy to discuss what he could do for you and at what price. What ever he charges it is worth it. Especially if it is a gun that you truly like. This Para is off to the bluing tanks next week and I think it will even look better when it is all finished. One thing I would like to know from Chuck; Chuck did you purposely not blast the front sights bluing off of the rear of the blade to make it easer to sight in? If you did that was very advance thinking.................TGR

·
Registered
261 Posts
Steel or Aluminum?

This may be a stupid question but is the rear sight fabricated from aluminum or steel? I know the pictures show it unfinished but the rear sight looks like it could be aluminum to me. I would really like to have Chuck make one for my older Kimber that I had a bomar installed on. They did such a bad job on the milling that you can see ALOT of daylight underneath every part of the sight because thay milled off way too much material.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi fz4vgq, I personally don’t know much about steel. But what ever steel he used (not aluminum) I’m sure will take to a bluing solution......

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
what is the best way to contact pistolwrench...i want him to machine or make me a similar sight but with a few modifications. I sent him a PM but im not sure he checks them. Any other contact methods?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts