1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully ordered a pistol from Kimber (say via a master dealer) with custom modifications? Where you able to get what you wanted? Was it a major hassle?

I spoke with a master dealer recently who told me you had to order at least 150 guns in order to get a custom package.

Basically, I want a Gold Combat Stainless, but in Compact frame. I'm not interested in the extended magwell, but I want the better grips, SS small parts, checkering on the front strap, etc.

I have an UltraCDP for carry, and I want a complimentary pistol in stainless that uses the officer's sized mags.

The other option is to get the stock stainless compact and pay a gunsmith $600+ to do similar work.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would buy the stainless compact from my dealer and send it back to Kimber for the work. They will do custom work on your gun and I don't think it would cost as much as you think. Furthermore, I would shoot the gun a lot, say 500 rounds or more before I sent it back to weed out any inherent problems so I could get them fixed at the same time.

[This message has been edited by Sundance (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, but replacing all those small parts, polishing the breechface and chamber, etc. it can add up fast.

I guess it just seems like a waste, getting all these things I don't want and them throwing them away. I wish I could just order what I want and be done with it.

It seems like there are a lot of "II"s now with the firing pin block, so I will probably just have to buy stock Compact Stainless of the shelf anyway.

Thanks,

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think you would be happier with the base gun worked over by a good smith....

Most of the problems that I have heard of have been with custom shop pistols...

+ with the smith...you can have them do what ever else you want...yes...its more expensive...but...sometimes its a matter of you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! I had the exact opposite impression.

For example, most of the CDPs are flawless (like mine
), but a lot of the upper end stock guns are messed up.

I guess my experience is anecdotal anyway.

I am starting to lean torward buying the stock gun and getting what I want done. There is a really good pistolsmith here locally.

Thanks,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be out of town on the 9th, so I bought my first stock "off the shelf" Kimber today - a stainless Compact.

Some of the finish is imperfect, but the working services seem tight and right on. Also, the trigger is better than my UltraCDP (my prior experience with a near perfect trigger). The take up is smooth, and then you hit the set, and click. It is almost too light, but there is no creep at all.

I'll send the frame in for some night sights, replace the rubber grips with nice wood grips, replace the cheesy plastic mainspring housing with nice SS one, get the front strap checkered at 30 LPI, and consider getting the breechface and chamber polished after I get 500-1000 rounds through it.

Overall, I am very happy with it so far, and I may even end up saving money on certain things (like the ambi safety) that I really never wanted. I think it will be the perfect compliment to my UltraCDP.

Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts