1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mess around with 1911s long enough and your bound to get better at what your doing. That means the first few 1911s that you customized will not be up to your current standards. That’s what happened to me with this Para P-16. It came back to me 7 years after I had originally customized it with the hopes of better accuracy and a mag-well. I wanted to burry it and put it and myself out of misery but instead I tried to fix it up. I added a Gun Craft mag-well, Brown ambi thumb safety, Les bear MSH and Kart barrel. It also got an S&A .220 hi-grip safety and a going over on the edges, ejection port, trigger job, etc. The coolest thing about this Para is the new sights; custom made by Chuck Rogers @ http://www.rogersprecision.com Thank you Chuck. Thanks also to Yost/Bonitz/Berryhill @ http://www.yost-bonitz.com for the extra care and great bluing job. Check out the pics if you would like, thanks.......TGR

·
Registered
262 Posts
very cool, congrats. Some more details on the sights especially, please - what's up with the front sight? It looks almost like one of Paul Liebenberg's custom front sights that dovetails in from the front and is held in by the bushing. Can you tell us anything more about how he built it?

Thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nice work.

Was the .220" radius grip safety necessary to clean up a poorly fit .250" or do the Paras have the narrow tangs like the Springfields?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More details on the sights on this thread.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62362

For some reason the flash of the camera made the repair job look more two tone than it actually is. If you were to hold this slide the repair job is barley noticeable. Paras will accept a .250 beavertail radius but I put on a .220 to make things a little nicer as the original radius was only OK.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Very nice - That sight was a work of art. Pics just don't do justice to the workmanship. If you've gotta have a para, that's the one!

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Hey folks,
Take another look at this pistol!
The grip safety fit is the nicest I've ever seen! Look closely at
the small plastic grip tabs and how perfectly they are blended to the radius of the grip safety. This is NOT an easy thing to do.
Look closely also at the mag well. It too is perfectly fitted.
Even more amazing is that TGR fit this mag well using a drill press
and a file!
In my not so humble opinion, TGR's work is the BEST that I've
seen.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Para should be damned proud!

As I have commented before, TGR blends grip safeties that are so precisely fit, they look as though they are inoperable. Pretty soon, TGR, you'll be about as well kept secret as Chuck:biglaugh: ! Please stop posting pictures until I can save up enough dough to send you one of my pistols.

Be well!

Damian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts