1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Can you tech me about the Custom Shop Champion "Custom Carry".

I am fairly new to te 1911 platform with a TRP being my first "real gun, 1911". I love this gun and have a Pro on order as of last month. But I would like a carry gun and came across a NIB Custom Carry Champion. I have read everything I could find on this gun but it really wasn't much to find.

I am slightly confused on Government, commander, officer size classifications. I guess the Champion fits below the full size?????

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to get a "Custom Shop" gun. I am drinking the Springfield Armory kool-aide after buying and shooting this TRP. It really is an unbelievable gun and it's hard to imagine a gun that shoots better than it does.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The champion model has the same length grip as a full size but a shorter 4 inch barrel also known as commander which is more commonly a 4.25 barrel on such manufacturers as colt and Wilson combat an officers model has a shorter grip and even shorter barrel usually either 3 or 3.5 depending on who makes it I have a Springfield loaded champion and it drives tacks I can imagine a custom shop gun from them would only do better so it is a good call to get and when u do I hope u enjoy it

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roseks. I always pictured a desirable carry gun having a shorter grip area as well as a shorter barrel. The grip is really what prints during concealment. Anybody else with opinions on this set up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I own a Champion. I bought it used after SA quit making new ones. It feeds and ejects without fail. It shoots accurately. It is full steel and does not have an aluminum frame (a big plus for me). The full sized 1911 pistols from SA have a 5 inch barrel, the commander sized ones have a 4 inch barrel (versus a 4.25 inch barrel from many other mfgrs), the officer ones typically have a 3 to 3.3 inch barrel and the grip is shorter which supports a 6-round mag versus the factory 7-round mag for the SA commander and full size government models. There are several MFGRs out there that make good 8-round mags for the commander and government sized models.

Back to the point, my Champion does what I want it to do. It's not a TRP but it is a fine CCW every day carry weapon.

MyTime

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff? I am very excited to have a "Custom Shop" gun on top of it being a Champion. Sounds like a win - win situation. It would give me two years to save back up for the Pro.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I had a TRP Champion which took over a year to track down... Ended up selling it because I carried my Custom Carry Compact more.... Much more.

See if you cant handle a "compact" first before ordering a champion... 4" slide (like champion) with an officer's frame is still very shootable and I find a ton more concealable...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts