1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Custom Shop Praise (UPDATE: Amanda called!)

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know how my dealings with the custom shop have been. First off, if you call during regular hours, you will almost certainly reach someone, usually Deb. Once you speak with her, she can transfer you to Dave Williams or whomever else you need to speak with. Getting a hold of people is a huge concern of mine nowadays, and the custom shop has been great in this department.

I just got off the phone with Dave Williams concerning my GI upgrades. He had a question on my high cut front strap treatment, and in the end actually talked me out of spending the money on the Ed Brown/Wilson cut. His reasons were that the Wilson Cut was mostly an aesthetic decision, and that the radius of the trigger guard is already smaller than your finger's radius. He did suggest the Colt cut, but having read some negative opinions on this, I opted to skip out entirely on the trigger guard cut.

I asked him if he'd recommend anything else, and he was extremely honest with me, to the point of saying "I could definitely spend more of your money, but there's really nothing else I can see for the direction you're going." He talked me out of replacing the FPS, but actually agreed with my suggestion of staking the plunger tube.

In my work order letter, I had asked that they take a look at some machining marks in the magazine well, near the top of the frame. The boys in Brazil got a little carried away, and to say it was a bit rough is an understatement. Now, these machine marks hadn't affected the function of the pistol one iota, and I was hoping the custom shop could just smooth them out. Well, instead of smoothing them out, they are replacing the ENTIRE FRAME! This is after they had already stippled the front strap of the old one! Guys, this is a professional crew we are dealing with here. Once again, they are replacing my entire frame for aesthetic reasons. Incredible.

Here is the work order I sent out. The pistol should be finished sometime this week. I'll post up pics of the final product.

Fit provided sights (Dawson adjustable rear and FO front)
Fit extended style thumb safety (Ed Brown Wide Extended Safety)
Install provided Ed Brown beavertail grip safety
Install extended magazine release button (Ed Brown Extended Tactical Magazine Release)
Install S&A magwell (flat, stippled to match front strap)
Install provided Harrison solid trigger
3.5 lb action job
Tune extractor
Deburr pistol internally
Stipple front strap
Undercut front strap (Ed Brown style)
Carry bevel, standard
Lower & Flare ejection port
Blend rear of slide/frame
Parkerize entire pistol

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know how my dealings with the custom shop have been. First off, if you call during regular hours, you will almost certainly reach someone, usually Deb. Once you speak with her, she can transfer you to Dave Williams or whomever else you need to speak with. Getting a hold of people is a huge concern of mine nowadays, and the custom shop has been great in this department.

I just got off the phone with Dave Williams concerning my GI upgrades. He had a question on my high cut front strap treatment, and in the end actually talked me out of spending the money on the Ed Brown/Wilson cut. His reasons were that the Wilson Cut was mostly an aesthetic decision, and that the radius of the trigger guard is already smaller than your finger's radius. He did suggest the Colt cut, but having read some negative opinions on this, I opted to skip out entirely on the trigger guard cut.

I asked him if he'd recommend anything else, and he was extremely honest with me, to the point of saying "I could definitely spend more of your money, but there's really nothing else I can see for the direction you're going." He talked me out of replacing the FPS, but actually agreed with my suggestion of staking the plunger tube.

In my work order letter, I had asked that they take a look at some machining marks in the magazine well, near the top of the frame. The boys in Brazil got a little carried away, and to say it was a bit rough is an understatement. Now, these machine marks hadn't affected the function of the pistol one iota, and I was hoping the custom shop could just smooth them out. Well, instead of smoothing them out, they are replacing the ENTIRE FRAME! This is after they had already stippled the front strap of the old one! Guys, this is a professional crew we are dealing with here. Once again, they are replacing my entire frame for aesthetic reasons. Incredible.

Here is the work order I sent out. The pistol should be finished sometime this week. I'll post up pics of the final product.

Fit provided sights (Dawson adjustable rear and FO front)
Fit extended style thumb safety (Ed Brown Wide Extended Safety)
Install provided Ed Brown beavertail grip safety
Install extended magazine release button (Ed Brown Extended Tactical Magazine Release)
Install S&A magwell (flat, stippled to match front strap)
Install provided Harrison solid trigger
3.5 lb action job
Tune extractor
Deburr pistol internally
Stipple front strap
Undercut front strap (Ed Brown style)
Carry bevel, standard
Lower & Flare ejection port
Blend rear of slide/frame
Parkerize entire pistol
If you don't mind me asking, how much is this going to run you?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just got my new loaded back from sprinfields c/s today and all i can say is what nice work dave w. And his crew do and i,am a perfectionist. I couldnt find anything a miss as f now. I havent opened it up yet though but i feel the inside is as nice as the outside 4 sure. Will post review later tonight with pic,s.
Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got my new loaded back from sprinfields c/s today and all i can say is what nice work dave w. And his crew do and i,am a perfectionist. I couldnt find anything a miss as f now. I havent opened it up yet though but i feel the inside is as nice as the outside 4 sure. Will post review later tonight with pic,s.
Bob
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pics. Also, be sure to post some in the "Definitive Custom Shop" thread.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got the call from Amanda for final details on my build. They're putting new grips on as we speak and will ship out either today or tomorrow. Wow, 9 working days for them to finish up this pistol. I look forward to seeing their work in person.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just got the call from Amanda for final details on my build. They're putting new grips on as we speak and will ship out either today or tomorrow. Wow, 9 working days for them to finish up this pistol. I look forward to seeing their work in person.
I am also excited to see your gun when you get it back. I have a loaded also and want to do some of the same things to mine. Let me know what you think when you get it. So, you should get it back tomorrow, right?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Bob
We will be patiently waiting.... Hurry, Hurry!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also excited to see your gun when you get it back. I have a loaded also and want to do some of the same things to mine. Let me know what you think when you get it. So, you should get it back tomorrow, right?
It should come in either Wednesday or Thursday, just in time for my Thursday night steel match:dope:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am going to subscribe to this thread to see the pics when you post them. So make sure to post the pics here as well as the sticky picture post and a new thread if you start one, do it all! We all LOVE seeing 1911 pron!! lol :-D

I want to send in my Mil-Spec to have stuff done to it, don't know what yet, but I know I want Dave Williams' work on it. I just got a full custom 1911 from them this last month, and it's GORGEOUS!!! And it shoots like a freakin dream to boot! :p

I have to agree with your praises, their customer service is so excellent. I emailed them and called them a lot about it. And they have emailed me and called me when they have questions, Dave Williams himself calls me up to ask about exactly how I want some things on my build. As busy as I know they are, he would be on the phone with me for a good 20-30 minutes not only giving me suggestions, but explaining in clear detail WHY he recommends those things, and yes, most of the things he suggested would mean LESS money spent by me! Proves he cares more than just trying to rip people off. I guess he knows that you get more return customers through trust and in the long run make more profit that way. And he'll be right, because I'm already itching to send in both my other 1911's to him because I trust his work so much...

Anyway, don't forget to post the pics, and a range report. :p

·
Banned
1,770 Posts
Can't wait to see your pics. Also as previously requested, please post in the SA Custom thread as well. We need to keep that one alive.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
how long did they have your weapon before they actually got around to doing it?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Replacing the frame.... Does that mean you have NEW serial numbers? And how does that work in your location (state or whatever)? If you have to prove ownership, will it be "registered"? Yes, I know we don't have a registry in the US,,,,,,,,,,,, but..

George

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how long did they have your weapon before they actually got around to doing it?
Nolt, I've no idea how long it was there. My guess is it sat for about a week, and then the work only took a day or two to complete. Sheer conjecture, but it seems about right considering they asked about specifics only two days before it was finished.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replacing the frame.... Does that mean you have NEW serial numbers? And how does that work in your location (state or whatever)? If you have to prove ownership, will it be "registered"? Yes, I know we don't have a registry in the US,,,,,,,,,,,, but..

George
George,

According to Springfield, they will include a paper noting the change in serial number. From what they told me, I have nothing to submit paper wise to any authority.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Keep a copy of it in your wallet....... just sayin....
George

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, got the gun back today. I am absolutely stoked on it. They replaced my Brazilian marked frame with a NM serial number unit. Also looks like they replaced the slide stop with a much beefier piece free of charge. Everything locks up great, the bushing requires a wrench, and the trigger is beautiful. I can't wait to get it out on the range. Total turn around was a little over two weeks.

A note about the Simonich grips. The holes in the grips were too small by a good amount to clear the frame bushings. I had to take a file to them and widen them out to fit. Fitting aside, I dig the texture.

Took some pictures of it today with a terrible little point and shoot. Sorry for the quality, but hopefully you get a feel for the work.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Very Nice!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts