1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the SA Custom shop to work on a stock pistol? I'm thinking having them work on my Colt. Basically, I want to make it similar to a TRP Pro, but with a few other modifications.

I'm interested in knowing how long they quoted you and what was the quality of the work done?

Thanks
-Nick

· Registered
107 Posts
Yes. The pistol below started off life as a Mil-Spec operator, but I wasn't very happy with the weapon. I contacted the Custom Shop and sent it back in for one of their set packages (TRP Conversion) and this is what I got back. The time required was 10-12 weeks and the cost was as quoted on the custom shop worksheet. All in all, I am very satisfied with the work they performed on the weapon.

The TRP conversion wasn't a direct conversion to a TRP Operator, as the pistol has the standard TRP slide vs. the TRP Operator slide (no bull barrel, no adjustable sights). Also, as you may notice, they cut down (at my request) the full-length light rail to a length similar to the Professional/MC Operator. The total package of changes included:
  • New slide,
  • new Novak night sights,
  • new hammer,
  • new trigger,
  • new grip safety,
  • new ambi-safety,
  • add mag well,
  • replace MSH,
  • checker front strap,
  • refinish,
  • new grips,
  • new guide rod.
  • One thing that wasn't done (and which doesn't bother me in the least) was the addition of the front cocking serrations to the pistol, which is listed as part of the package, but which, as you can see in the picture, wasn't done.

I've taken it out shooting a couple of times since I got it back and love the gun now. Prior to the work, it was on its way to being a safe queen, because I liked my other TRP (non-operator) much better.

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
I sent my Mil Spec to SA Custom Shop, twice, actually. Some of the work done the first time didn't work out for me - I got hammer bite from the wide spur hammer I had them install, and the combination of the Heinie front sight and Yost-Bonitz retro rear sight had me shooting low. Second visit, SA didn't want to bob my wide spur hammer further than it already was, and couldn't correct my low POI, because the sight on my pistol was already the lowest one offered by Heinie. To satisfy these two points, I asked them install a beavertail grip safety, a Commander type hammer, and a Heinie Slant Pro rear sight (I specified the one for the Novak dovetail cut).

Now, here's a quick rundown of what has been done:

Ed Brown weld-on magwell,
Ed Brown Hardcore slide stop,
Ed Brown tactical thumb safety,
Smith & Alexander beavertail grip safety,
4# trigger job using Ed Brown Hardcore hammer, sear, and disconnector, with Greider medium-length match trigger
Heine serrated ramp front sight, with tritium insert,
Heine Slant Pro rear sight, black, for Novak cut,
Whole pistol mildly dehorned, parkerized (black manganese recipe)

In the photo, the pistol is wearing VZ Gator Back grips, but it now wears the black ebony double diamond grips Scott Sensing made for me when I first bought the pistol.

The work has all been executed beautifully, and they've even handled a bunch of aesthetic details, which I didn't request, and for which they didn't charge me. The only thing I can't report is whether the new rear sight will have the pistol striking POA for me, but a range trip shall soon prove that, one way or the other. As for the time to complete work on a pistol, I imagine that is highly influenced by the Professional production schedule, as well as any out-of-house finishing you might specify. I'd say just add about 4 weeks to their estimate, as that has been my experience. But no matter how long or short the interval, it will seem too long for you.

· Registered
2,279 Posts
After seeing the quality of the work these folks did on my loaded model, I would not hesitate to send them one of my Colts.

Shipping cost add a quick hundred bucks to most custom jobs. If you are considering hard chrome work on the finished project, Springfield has a good deal on their hard chrome pricing with no additional shipping charges to and from the plating vendor.

· Registered
2,279 Posts
After seeing the quality of the work these folks did on my loaded model, I would not hesitate to send them one of my Colts.

Shipping cost add a quick hundred bucks to most custom jobs. If you are considering hard chrome work on the finished project, Springfield has a good deal on their hard chrome pricing with no additional shipping charges to and from the plating vendor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.