1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My department is FINALLY going to expand its very limited list of authorized weapons systems. One of the newly authorized weapons is going to be a limited number of 1911s from various manufacturers. So I am trying to cram an education on 1911s to make a decision as to the one I want to pick up. Not 100% sure I will be switching my duty gun but this is a perfect excuse to buy one right! :rock:

My question is……In looking at the Springfield website and the custom shop price list I saw the different packages, such as the Loaded package or the TRP package.

1. Does every Springfield from the corresponding class automatically receive that treatment in the custom shop? Basically has every TRP bone stock out of the box already been to the custom shop and had all the upgrades listed in the package? So there would be no reason to send a TRP into the custom shop to get the TRP package done?

2. If someone was to purchase a lower class such as a loaded and send it to the custom shop for the TRP package, would that gun now essentially be a TRP without the stamp of the slide?

3. It appears the TRP package is the top package listed on the price list. If that is correct and every TRP already has the TRP package, then what work if any (besides cosmetic) would the custom shop do to improve the reliability and/or accuracy of the gun.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The minimum acceptable duty weapon for a 1911 in my opinion is the Springfield Professional. This is the FBI HRT/SWAT pistol and is in use my elite military and police agencies worldwide (FBI, ATF, DEA, USMS).

#1 The TRP is their top of the line production pistol. While it may receive a little more love and hand fitting of parts, it still is a production gun. Custom shop smith aren't building TRP's.

#2 Yes. But you'd have way too much money into it and I'd just buy a TRP from the start. Converting a Loaded to a TRP will get it in the custom shop. In many cases I have seen in being a Springfield guy for nearly 2 decades is they end up scraping major components to get it to the TRP level.

#3 see #1. Yes they would be spec'd the same but many have some cosmetic differences like the TRP rollmark for one.

Don't get me wrong I carried a highly modified TRP Operator for years, before moving to the PRO. The Pro comes two ways from the Custom Shop... With a Light Rail and Without. No other options. With prices in the $2-3000+ range and the 3 year waiting, it deters many officers.

This is a true full custom shop gun. The Springfield Professional.

8 of my 10 professionals.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Welcome moose,
As a retired LEO, I've carried a variety of guns through out my 30 yr career. In short, the 1911 is the way to go and SA is a good company to work with. Combat_Vet summed it up perfectly; the only thing I can add is to call them with specific questions you might have.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Combat Vet, I'm going to disagree on your assessment of sending a more base model to the Custom Shop. I agree I wouldn't send in a loaded, because then you would be paying for redundant work. I sent in my GI, have a total of $1800 into it, and the only original, non-barstock parts in it are the grip safety, disconnector, and barrel. I kept it that way as sort of a sleeper.(and it's incredibly accurate 2 piece barrel and all). Aside from the gun starting with oversized frame/slide combo, the work is the same as a gun beginning in the Custom Shop if you spec it right and listen to whatever advice Dave Williams gives you (head of shop).

Im a LEO as well, and would I use this gun for duty? No, not as is with its current options, but I would definitely trust it for duty work if I had to. The only thing I would say it really needs is a beavertail grip safety with a hump to make the safety easier to disengage.

To OP, if you do switch your duty gun, Springfield's Custom Shop would 100% be my first choice. They'll work with any quality parts to fit your specific needs. Now, if I was in your shoes I would personally start with a Custom Carry and go from there, but sending in a GI or Mil-Spec could prove more economical.

Btw Combat Vet, your Pro collection is the envy of the forum and I do appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply VET. Can you give some more info on #3 I am not following, and maybe I wasn't clear. If I went with the TRP and I decided I wanted to put more money into the gun, what upgrades would the custom shop offer? When I looked at the list on the web site, the TRP package was the best one, if that is true what would they do? You said you carried a modified TRP, how did you modify it? I understand the difference between a production TRP and a Custom shop Pro. I guess what I am asking is, what can be done to improve a production TRP or is the only option for improvement to step up to a custom pro?

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
The cheaper better option is the custom Pro at LEO pricing it can not be beat .
Even at regular pricing its hard to beat . You get everything the TRP & TRP
Package have to offer .

1. Install TRP barrel & bushing & hand fit both
2. Factory skeletonized delta hammer
7. Adjustable lightweight aluminum trigger
10. Polished feed ramp; throated barrel
11. Tune & polish extractor
12. Deburr pistol internally
13. Standard carry bevel sharp edges of pistol
15. Tune trigger pull to 4.5 lb
21. Inspect & test fire for function

That is what you would need from the TRP package . Your better off calling
SACS ( Springfield armory custom shop ) and have them put together a
package just for you , and figure that VS the Professional pricing . SACS
is a full custom shop so they can tailor a package that works just for you .
1 800-617-6751 - Good Luck

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I love both of my Professionals (railed and non-railed). However, for a duty gun, I would order a Custom Carry. The Professional is a Custom Carry. Only difference is that the government spec'd the Custom Carry and it was labeled "Professional". I would choose a Custom Carry and spec it the way I wanted it. For instance, the first thing on my list would be changing the sights. I'm not a fan of Springfield's night sights. If I wanted night sights on the gun, I would spec the Custom Carry with sights from another manufacturer. There are a couple other things I would maybe change, but that's the route I would recommend. The Professional is, without a doubt, an excellent firearm worthy of being a duty weapon. But, if you are like me and have some specific things you'd prefer different, go the route of the Custom Carry.

In regards to the packages that Springfield offers, such as the TRP package, I don't think they're a very good value. I could understand going that route if you have a gun already and want to send it in for upgrading, but buying a new Loaded and sending it in for a TRP package would wind up being more than the cost of a TRP. If you're wanting the Custom Shop to rework a gun that you have, or a lower end model, you can contact them and specify the changes you want made. You don't have to go with one of the "packages" they offer. Looking at the packages to get an idea of what you want isn't a bad thing to do, but I would talk to someone at the Custom Shop, get ideas from them, talk over the modifications, and spec the changes YOU want. You'll be much happier in the end.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for the reply VET. Can you give some more info on #3 I am not following, and maybe I wasn't clear. If I went with the TRP and I decided I wanted to put more money into the gun, what upgrades would the custom shop offer? When I looked at the list on the web site, the TRP package was the best one, if that is true what would they do? You said you carried a modified TRP, how did you modify it? I understand the difference between a production TRP and a Custom shop Pro. I guess what I am asking is, what can be done to improve a production TRP or is the only option for improvement to step up to a custom pro?
Yes, a TRP can be improved on but if you are going to put another $1000 in it just buy a Pro.

Barrel, bushing, slide to frame, ignition just to name a few.

Before I would do that, I would send a Mil-Spec to Alchemy, SACS or Benchmark, just to name a few I have had work on my guns, and have a custom spec'ed the way I want it.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I have over 12K of hard driven rounds through my MCOP.

it does have mods from the Custom Shop but our dept did have a bone stock MCOP that performed just as well too.

My gun is stock barrel but MIM less with a tool steel duty trigger job. My BP extractor was tuned by Hilton Yam and other than cosmetics…..it is the loaded model.

while I parked my duty 1911 this year (recovering from knee surgery and arm pain) and packing plastic driving a desk….I hope to bring it back out for hard use again in 2016.

if I had to do it all over again for duty carry 1911 (older and wiser/tighter with my money), I am fine with the base model MCOP or TRP with basic mods and run it hard. if it breaks to the point where it needs to go home, LE guns get priority on repairs.

whats important on a duty gun: sights (age dependent), duty break trigger and mag well. (forgot to add acceptable accuracy which comes from barrel and fit)

If there is anything I could change on my gun right now…..I liked the green back then….I don't care for it anymore. AK does not come off to the point where I can justify a refinish job.

my 2 cents

dawggonit….forgot to add whoever writes your policy….may limit mods or custom work on your gun. be aware buying a base model and sending it somewhere for mods may violate policy. TRP is a excellent start for everything you would need.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
If you go with the TRP Operator you will be very happy with it. I got mine NIB in 2012 and after a short break in period it became my EDC gun. I get to the range at least once a month and shoot between 500-600 rounds, ranging from drills to just having fun. Never had any issues and the pistol performed like a champ.

Then in February 2015 after doing nothing but carrying, shooting, and cleaning I wanted to make some changes to it. I called SACS and talked with Dave about what I had in mind and he gave me his insight on everything that I wanted done. Within 10 minutes of getting off the phone FedEx label was in my inbox and within an hour the pistol was on her way to SACS. Eight weeks later she was back and this was what I had performed.

Work items completed:
Reliablity Package
Pinned ejector
Install Harrison Design fixed sights with tritium inserts
Action job with tool steel match hammer, sear & trigger with 4.5 lb. pull
Fit S&A one piece mag well and match bevel on frame
Serrate rear of slide 50LPI to match rear sight
Nub slide stop
Black T finish complete pistol

With VZ Recons MARSOC grips.

With grips used on the Professional.

I would say once you pick the 1911 you want spend sometime getting to know it. What you like and don't like about it if anything. Then if you want to send it off to the custom shop for some work/upgrades have at it. Either way SACS will take great care of your 1911 and you'll be very happy with the results.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The minimum acceptable duty weapon for a 1911 in my opinion is the Springfield Professional. This is the FBI HRT/SWAT pistol and is in use my elite military and police agencies worldwide (FBI, ATF, DEA, USMS).

8 of my 10 professionals.
That is unbelievable. I want to be you when I grow up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts