1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must confess I never liked Kimbers. But just the same I had a couple of guns I was not shooting so I traded them in for Custom Tactical II plus some $$$.

I like the accuracy of it and how light it is. However the Alloy frames finish is real bad. After just 540 rounds the finish has rubbed off the area where the slide release contacts the frame, also where the safety contacts the frame. The magwell and frame have discolored to a horrible goldish colored where they are in contact with my skin.

I never had that problems with any other guns, including many alloy frame ones.

What gives?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Get Kimber involved and see what they say. Keep us posted on wht you find out.

Good shooting

CCV

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ariel welcome to the forum

........and could you post some pics of the affected areas. I would particularly like to see where "The magwell and frame have discolored to a horrible goldish colored where they are in contact with my skin." Sounds really bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give Kimber a call after the Holidays and see what they say.
Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
445 Posts
In the mean time could you...........

Ariel said:
I will give Kimber a call after the Holidays and see what they say.
Will keep you posted.
...............post a pic of the affected areas? If you don't have a digital camera, you can just lay the Kimber on a scanner bed. How does the saying go? "One picture is worth a thousand words.";)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wait a minute. You don't like Kimbers, but you bought one anyway.

Then you have this extreme wear and discoloration problem, so you bring it to a message board WITHOUT EVEN CONTACTING THE MANUFACTURER OR THE DEALER YOU BOUGHT IT FROM???

What would you possibly hope to accomplish (other than stirring the pot) by posting your problem on the board without even attempting to get a remedy from your dealer or from the manufacturer if your dealer won't help?

What gives?

·
Registered
319 Posts
"What gives?"...

- maybe he wanted input from other owners of the same model to see if it was a widespread issue.
- maybe he wanted backing to know if it was a common expected occurence or something that others also feel is not right.
- maybe he had full faith in Kimber's customer service, but wanted to be sure what he was complaining about was fair.
- maybe he had dealt with Kimber's customer service and had no faith they would take care of it.
- maybe he wanted to give others here an honest "heads up".

... whatever the reasoning for his post, what has he done or written to warrant being personally attacked as to his motive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I am away from my Kimber, so the only thing I can do is contact them and see what they say.

I tried to see if it would clean up with CLP and militec, but there was no joy.

The reason I did not contact them or the dealer, is that I wanted to see if it was a normall ocurrence before I contacted them, as this is not an emergency.

I know from previous experience that the dealer I bought it from would have gotten in touch with the manufacturer, so I'll rather skip that step. I am not trying to stirr any pots, jusy wanted to find out if others were also experiencing the same.

This changes do not affect the gun's functioning and are purely cosmetic, but just the same they should not happen so quick on medium range gun.

In regards to 1911s I have had Colt's, Springfields, Wilson's, Paras, so I think I am not new to 1911s.

I should have refrased my original post to read:

I must confess I never liked Kimbers, as much as I like HKs :cool:

The only thing I can think of is that the frame/magwell is reacting to my skin, but these has never happened before.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
You may want to try cleaning them with a solvent instead of a CLP. Try Hoppes or Butch's Bore Shine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts