1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked at about every major custom gun leather maker out there's site and one thing i dont see alot of is vertical shoulder rigs. I understand the drawbacks for these, but im really wanting one that will NOT be a concealment rig.
What got me thinking about it was i was watching the new Romeo + Juliet and the shoulder rigs they have are more like articles of clothing and a really stylized. I understand movies dont depict reality, but just curious if anyone has seen anything custom like that

·
Registered
759 Posts
My Alessi Fieldmaster for 5" 1911's is a work of art, truly. It flexes to accept the pistol and snaps back into place, making quick draws with a large gun easy. Not a holster for CCW, but you could get away with it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
+1 on the Alessi Fieldmaster.

Lou keeps telling me he's surprised I can use it for CCW, but it does work that way. Like everything Lou makes, it's well designed, well executed, comfortable and durable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've been considering the same rig myself. KimberDude, you said it flexes - does Lou use a spring retention system like on Bianchi's vertical rig or is it something else? Also, is the front of the holster open or solid leather? It's hard to tell from the pics I've seen.

For CCW with a 5" 1911 it seems like vertical would be much easier to conceal than horizontal - at least for us non-muscular types. Not to mention it doesn't sweep folks behind you with the muzzle.
Mac

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The holster itself (actually the holster frame in which the holster tilts) attaches to the belt, and there's an offside tie-down strap too, so the rig is anchored on both sides.

The gun is retained within the holster by simple molding to the gun, while the holster tilts within a leather frame.
The attachment between holster and frame is a tension-adjustable screw.
The gun sits upright in the rig till you grasp the butt and pull forward, at which point the holster tilts forward and the gun becomes closer to a horizontal attitude and pulls out of the holster. The tilting is resisted by a pull-through snap at the front of the holster frame. Basically, the snap keeps the holster from dropping forward spontaneously, but releases easily when you mean to withdraw the gun.

It works MUCH better than the old "bucket" style of vertical shoulder rig and MUCH better than the "breakfront" style of rig (typified by the Bianchi X-15), yet it is somehow MORE concealable than examples of these other types of vertical rigs which I also own.
And just BTW, Lou's shoulder harness (the harness arrangements for the Bodyguard and Fieldmaster are similar) is the most comfortable made, IME.

Lou obviously has put careful thought into the design, and it really has resulted in a comfortable rig that is more concealable than it should be.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Here's some pics of the Fieldmaster somebody posted.
Can't recall the source, but they're not mine.

BTW, the guy in pics 1 and 2 is wearing the holster much lower than it should be. The harness straps need to be adjusted so that the holster side loop is tight up under the belt. This will also bring the butt up level with the upper chest, aiding concealment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
SAWBONES said:
The holster itself (actually the holster frame in which the holster tilts) attaches to the belt, and there's an offside tie-down strap too, so the rig is anchored on both sides.

The gun is retained within the holster by simple molding to the gun, while the holster tilts within a leather frame.
The attachment between holster and frame is a tension-adjustable screw.
The gun sits upright in the rig till you grasp the butt and pull forward, at which point the holster tilts forward and the gun becomes closer to a horizontal attitude and pulls out of the holster. The tilting is resisted by a pull-through snap at the front of the holster frame. Basically, the snap keeps the holster from dropping forward spontaneously, but releases easily when you mean to withdraw the gun.

It works MUCH better than the old "bucket" style of vertical shoulder rig and MUCH better than the "breakfront" style of rig (typified by the Bianchi X-15), yet it is somehow MORE concealable than examples of these other types of vertical rigs which I also own.
And just BTW, Lou's shoulder harness (the harness arrangements for the Bodyguard and Fieldmaster are similar) is the most comfortable made, IME.

Lou obviously has put careful thought into the design, and it really has resulted in a comfortable rig that is more concealable than it should be.

Thanks Sawbones, that's exactly what I needed to know. From the pics I'd seen online I'd assumed the the "frame" ended on both sides just below where it attaches to the holster, I had no idea the backside attached to the belt. Really appreciate you tracking down those pics, as well as whomever put them out there.

I agree with you on the X-15, the spring tension always felt way too stiff - guess that's the cost of making a multi-gun holster. That damned elastic strap also made for the most uncomfortable carry experience I've ever had. Glad to hear Lou's harness is really that comfortable, I had some minor concerns about that piece of hardware in the center (the one that looks like it'd ride on the back of your neck?). Looks like I'll have to do a bit of "creative financing" sometime soon ... I've got to have one of these. And that die job in the pics is SUH-WEEEET! :cool:
Mac

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Maclean3, you mentioned concern about "that piece of hardware in the center", by which I think you mean the metal loop, which is actually a modified D-ring.

Not only won't you feel it, it won't print, either. That portion of the harness sits well below your neck, more across the shoulders.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a second that, and thank you for posting those pics.
this has got to be one of the most unique shoulder rigs out there only further making me want one.
I have been talking with Lou the past few days over email and first off he is super fast with responses and VERY up front and informative.
I really look forward to working with him.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Very timely thread. I've recently decided the Fieldmaster would probably be my next rig, and this thread, plus my happy experience with my Alessi CQC/S OWB holster, clenches the deal. I'm all in for a black one. For those who don't know, Lightning Arms Sports (link above) stocks these and other Alessi products.

·
Registered
759 Posts
...I don't get thanked by name? That's it, I'm cutting back to 25 Alessi products next year!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Louis F. Alessi said:
Dude, That was you in those pictures! I didn't recognize you! HA...
Thanks for the pics, I'm putting them up at the shop, with a beautiful girls head on the body:biglaugh:
Lou
My Lord!!

Now I believe Bulman when he tells me that you're getting old - NO, that's not me in the pics...I'm much trimmer than the poor fellow and better yet, I know how to properly fit and wear my damned Fieldmaster!! Would you think me someone to not know how to wear my Alessi leather!?!?! Now, get back to work on those 2 belts you owe me...not that I've paid for them yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.