1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've been considering the same rig myself. KimberDude, you said it flexes - does Lou use a spring retention system like on Bianchi's vertical rig or is it something else? Also, is the front of the holster open or solid leather? It's hard to tell from the pics I've seen.

For CCW with a 5" 1911 it seems like vertical would be much easier to conceal than horizontal - at least for us non-muscular types. Not to mention it doesn't sweep folks behind you with the muzzle.
Mac

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
SAWBONES said:
The holster itself (actually the holster frame in which the holster tilts) attaches to the belt, and there's an offside tie-down strap too, so the rig is anchored on both sides.

The gun is retained within the holster by simple molding to the gun, while the holster tilts within a leather frame.
The attachment between holster and frame is a tension-adjustable screw.
The gun sits upright in the rig till you grasp the butt and pull forward, at which point the holster tilts forward and the gun becomes closer to a horizontal attitude and pulls out of the holster. The tilting is resisted by a pull-through snap at the front of the holster frame. Basically, the snap keeps the holster from dropping forward spontaneously, but releases easily when you mean to withdraw the gun.

It works MUCH better than the old "bucket" style of vertical shoulder rig and MUCH better than the "breakfront" style of rig (typified by the Bianchi X-15), yet it is somehow MORE concealable than examples of these other types of vertical rigs which I also own.
And just BTW, Lou's shoulder harness (the harness arrangements for the Bodyguard and Fieldmaster are similar) is the most comfortable made, IME.

Lou obviously has put careful thought into the design, and it really has resulted in a comfortable rig that is more concealable than it should be.

Thanks Sawbones, that's exactly what I needed to know. From the pics I'd seen online I'd assumed the the "frame" ended on both sides just below where it attaches to the holster, I had no idea the backside attached to the belt. Really appreciate you tracking down those pics, as well as whomever put them out there.

I agree with you on the X-15, the spring tension always felt way too stiff - guess that's the cost of making a multi-gun holster. That damned elastic strap also made for the most uncomfortable carry experience I've ever had. Glad to hear Lou's harness is really that comfortable, I had some minor concerns about that piece of hardware in the center (the one that looks like it'd ride on the back of your neck?). Looks like I'll have to do a bit of "creative financing" sometime soon ... I've got to have one of these. And that die job in the pics is SUH-WEEEET! :cool:
Mac

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.