1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I have a Wiley Clapp Government and I’m thinking about getting some minor work done to it by Wilson Combat.
Will that work hurt it’s value or increase it’s value?
The pistol is pretty good but I think it can use some refinement.

The work I want done is;
1. Ball cuts on slide
2. Fit a TS because the original is very mushy.
3. Install a magwell
4. Install WC beaver tail GS
5. Flush cut/crown barrel
6. Swap out rear sight
7. Reblue pistol
8. Fit new extractor
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
In general, you not recoup your investment if you decide to sell it at a later date. But what the heck by making it exactly like you want will probably insure you keep it. I have both full blown custom and almost all of my handguns have some personal touch. I stopped long ago concerning myself with resale

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Given what I’ve seen on your previous post above and thinking about it for a micro-second I suggest that you GET IT TO THEM AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!
I’m tending to lean that way lol.

Reactions: colrhino and NDL

·
Registered
22,527 Posts
I agree, if you are going to have it worked on, figure on keeping it because you would not likely find a buyer with exactly your tastes. Frex, I would be more functionally minded and would say:

1. Ball cuts on slide
No functional improvement, I would not.
Save $80.

I'd want an extended safety instead of the Clapp GI style
$75

3. Install a magwell
Yes.
$215

Why? The Colt beavertail isn't bad.
Save $165

Nope.
Save $65

6. Swap out rear sight
For what? I'd want a fibre optic FRONT sight, though.
Pay $80, save $125

7. Reblue pistol
While I agree that it needs it; the present custom of polishing only the slide or even of only engraving the slide is unsightly, I am not willing to pay the price of a nice reblue.
Save $450

8. Fit new extractor
Does the factory extractor not pull its empties? I guess you could make a case for a spare extractor.
$70

Things you did not say.
I would want a trigger job,
$250

With a checkered frontstrap, I'd want an arched mainspring housing.
Integral with mag well funnel, no extra cost.

So I would have spent $195 less than you at Wilson, not considering that I can probably get it done for lower cost and faster turnaround from nearby shops.
Which is why your plan would not have good resale value to me.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Prices on nice used guns are though the roof, I can't see you losing much. Plus you get to enjoy it in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, if you are going to have it worked on, figure on keeping it because you would not likely find a buyer with exactly your tastes. Frex, I would be more functionally minded and would say:

1. Ball cuts on slide
No functional improvement, I would not.
Save $80.

I'd want an extended safety instead of the Clapp GI style
$75

3. Install a magwell
Yes.
$215

Why? The Colt beavertail isn't bad.
Save $165

Nope.
Save $65

6. Swap out rear sight
For what? I'd want a fibre optic FRONT sight, though.
Pay $80, save $125

7. Reblue pistol
While I agree that it needs it; the present custom of polishing only the slide or even of only engraving the slide is unsightly, I am not willing to pay the price of a nice reblue.
Save $450

8. Fit new extractor
Does the factory extractor not pull its empties? I guess you could make a case for a spare extractor.
$70

Things you did not say.
I would want a trigger job,
$250

With a checkered frontstrap, I'd want an arched mainspring housing.
Integral with mag well funnel, no extra cost.

So I would have spent $195 less than you at Wilson, not considering that I can probably get it done for lower cost and faster turnaround from nearby shops.
Which is why your plan would not have good resale value to me.
I’m not a fan of the rear sight. The GS is fit poorly and loose.
I installed the current TS and it’s still mushy. So that would need to be improved.
The extractor came with no tension. I tuned it and it lost its tension already. So a Bullet Proof extractor is needed.
The barrel bushing is sloppy and can be far better. So why not flush cut and crown?
Ball cuts because I just love them!
The gun is extremely sharp and needs to be dehorned. The flats are ok but they are just ok. They drive me nuts and it would be a vast improvement if they were straightened out and polished probably.
A magwell is a must!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
You get custom work done to your gun for you, not for future resale value. It can be documented out the wazoo and you still will never recoup your costs, most likely.

Getting a gun worked over and then asking how it will impact it's value is really not the way to do it.

If you really want to "preserve" it's value, send it back to Colt for customization; at least then you can get a factory letter on it, and everything will have been done in-house.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You get custom work done to your gun for you, not for future resale value. It can be documented out the wazoo and you still will never recoup your costs, most likely.

Getting a gun worked over and then asking how it will impact it's value is really not the way to do it.

If you really want to "preserve" it's value, send it back to Colt for customization; at least then you can get a factory letter on it, and everything will have been done in-house.
Last I heard Colt wasn’t accepting any custom work.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I have a Wiley Clapp Government and I’m thinking about getting some minor work done to it by Wilson Combat.
Will that work hurt it’s value or increase it’s value?
The pistol is pretty good but I think it can use some refinement.

The work I want done is;
1. Ball cuts on slide
3. Install a magwell
6. Swap out rear sight
7. Reblue pistol
8. Fit new extractor
Thanks for your input.
Looks nice just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is not a factory Wiley. It has a lot of the stuff the OP wants to add.
That’s mine. I added the trigger and the thumb safety. The factory TS was mushy and so is the one you see.
Other than that it’s original.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Since your colt is no longer an original do what you want . Its only time and a money but why add some of your upgrades and not fit a upgraded barrel and bushing , why not find make it a quality shooter instead of an average production shooter .

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since your colt is no longer an original do what you want . Its only time and a money but why add some of your upgrades and not fit a upgraded barrel and bushing , why not find make it a quality shooter instead of an average production shooter .
The barrel is outstanding. It doesn’t need to be replaced.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don’t know if Wilson Combat does polished DLC, but if they do I would go that route.

If done correctly, it looks like the Colt blued finish, but much tougher.

Here is a Nighthawk Classic in polished DLC:

Here is an Evolution Armory worked over Colt in DLC as well:

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts