1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have customized a Mil-Spec, what kind of modifications did you make?

What needs to be done to a Mil-Spec, in your opinion, to be "good-to-go"?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got mine back from the full-house treatment. Very happy with it so far. As it came from the factory, the slide to frame fit was fantastic. The trigger was not.

For a stock MilSpec, at a minimum, I would upgrade the trigger group (trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, leaf spring - Cylinder and Slide sells a great kit for this, works very well), the sights (to Heinie's or Novaks), and perhaps the beavertail (to Wilson or Baer - I have problems engaging the Brown properly).

I'd also stick some skateboard tape on the frontstrap (one sheet will cost a buck or two and be more than you need - cheaper than checkering and easily replaceable).

Also get some Wilson magazines. Well worth the money and very reliable.

Then I'd shoot the heck out of it.

SF

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Just got mine back...

Did EB grip safety, EB thumb safety, EB tactical ext. mag release, CMC trigger, CMC hammer, CMC sear, disconnector and sear spring, tighter bushing, heinie sights, and checkered arch MSH. Most of that is just because its what I like. It shot fine out of the box.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Mine shoots great without any internal modifications. Only changes have been a commander hammer and a wilson drop in beavertail for shooter comfort.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Modifications to the MilSpec? I went out and bought a loaded UltraCompact! The MilSpec is fine out of the box. It has several "custom features" that aren't apparent at first glance.

Lowered and flared ejection port.

Beveled mag well.

Throated breech.

There's a bevel on the barrel hood that is a custom feature, not "mil spec."

I put in a stainless Wilson guide rod. Hogue smooth panel Cocobolo grips.

I'd change the rear sight at least. But the existing sight is accurate. It's just too damned high / snaggy.

Yeah, I could go full bore on mods for the MilSpec, but it's easier to just buy a "loaded" in a different frame size and then try and decide which Springfield you're gonna carry today . . . *G*

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts