1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new stainless Commander that I'm getting worked on.

One think I'm doing is having an Ed Brown Bobtail MSH installed. I was thinking about having the frontstrap serrated, scalloped, or checkered, and having the top part of the Bobtail (above where it curves in towards the magwell) done to match.

Then, I thought about leaving the Bobtail smooth, to minimize the chances of it catching on clothing.

So what do you guys think... have the extra bit of grip on the backstrap with some kind of treatment to match the frontstrap, or just leave it smooth?

I'm going to run Carbon Creations smooth carbon fiber grips cut for the BobTail, and the frontstrap is getting something no matter what.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Bring it down. It won't abrade your clothes, and will help your grip tremendously.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A simple gun with a few custom touches is hard to beat. I prefer 30 lpi checkering on the frontstrap. Combine that with good sights and a nice trigger and I'm happy.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Mine came from the factory almost like this.

I fixed the trigger and frame safety to fit my hands. I recommend the "snake skin" scales rather than checkering for carry: good grip, easy to grasp. The grips are thin Alunmagrips. The sights are Novaks.

By the time you bobtail, add sights and safeties, and replace the stock internal parts from your Colt, though, you'll be close to what I paid for this one.

You'll have a very nice pistol, of course.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
644 Posts
For a stainless gun intended for CCW have it finished in Melonite. It's a dark, practically bullet-proof coating. Dark, matte finishes help maintain the first "C" in CCW.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck,

I thought long and hard about the Kobra Carry. But, overall cost will end up quite a bit less with my Colt. Colt's small parts are top-notch... I am using an Ed Brown HardCore sear to replace the Colt MIM sear, but retaining the Colt hammer, FP stop, ejector, extractor, etc. I am replacing the long solid trigger with a medium length C&S, which will be properly fitted, and carry beveled with the rest of the gun. Brown beavertail, BobTail, single tactical safety, and although the Colt slide stop is good, I got a Brown unit. I am going to use the Colt barrel as well, although they will fit a match bushing to it.

I'm sending the gun to Springfield Custom, because I trust a gun built by Dave Williams and his crew more than I would trust anything else out there. I have a lot of experience with their work, and talking to Dave and his gunsmiths on the phone. They have my Colt Defender right now, and it should be done in a month or two.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AZ Husker,

Thanks for the pic... I finally finished my custom build sheet, printed out a pic of your BobTail, and sent it along with the gun and parts. I'm guessing that mine will end up looking the same as yours :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
After much consideration, I plan on the following upgrades for my ca. 1986 Combat Commander:

Novak tritium front sight
King's #107 target rear sight
Medium length smmoth aluminum trigger
Wilson NON-ambi extended safety
Ed Brown grip safety sans 'speed bump'
S/A flat MSH w/lanyard loop
Match bushing
Hogue's smooth ivory grips
Carry bevel w/brite blued finish
30lpi checkered front strap

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I just sent a work order off to have my combat commander done for carry and here's what is getting done:

Novak tritium sights
serrate flat top slide @ 40 lpi w/radiused borders
Kart match barrel
re-crown barrel
re-crown muzzle flush w/bushing
extended ejector
oversixze firing pin stop
new extractor
mag catch
trigger job w/hammer, sear, disconnector Wolf springs, solid medium trigger
checker front strap & main spring housing @ 25 lpi
McCormick beavertail
thumb safety....non-ambidexterous
bevel mag well @ 60 degrees
carry bevel
most likely Black T finish
thinking about ivory style grips
might add French border later

Now the wait has began. Could be up to 2 years.

I haven't shot this pistol in 7-8 years since it would malfunction but I took it out last weekend and ran 100 flawless rounds through it. Maybe the 'ole girl knows she's going under the knife. :biglaugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts