1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i've been considering a caspian based 45acp for awhile now--i like the looks of some i've seen from cylinder and slide--wondering if any of you all have any thoughts on quality of build.

any other gunsmith recommendations would also be appreciated for my consideration.

thanks in advance.

kjo

·
Registered
378 Posts
I haven't looked too much at his 1911's, but did handle a couple of his Hi Powers at a gunshow. They looked every bit as well built as ones from Novak, Wickmann, or any other Hi Power smith who's guns I've handled.

·
Registered
353 Posts
No experience with C&S, but I'll take every opportunity I get to plug my guy - Dave Stagg built my 9mm Caspian, and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They will do a fine job for you. I will also recommend Alex Hamilton of Ten-Ring Precision Ten-Ring. Heck, there are a lot of guys you can have build you that pistol (Ted Yost, Don Williams, Chuck Rogers, John Harrison, etc...). Do a search for their work on this site.

A tip, be sure to be specific on what your wants are. What the gun will be sused for, grips, safeties, sights, metal work and so on. Or if they offer a package that works for you all the better. :)

Good luck and post pics when done.

Matt

·
Registered
220 Posts
Custom

Do yourself a favor, spend 3-5 years shooting a double action revolver. Then buy a factory 1911.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
appreciate all of the advise/tips--i will get a pic up when the gun is done.

happy holidays to all!

kjo

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Re: Custom

samray said:
Do yourself a favor, spend 3-5 years shooting a double action revolver. Then buy a factory 1911.
Why would you want to do that?

·
Registered
353 Posts
shoulda called Karl Sokol . . . (not you kjo - samray)

So kjo - where's the gun coming from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the gun CAME from cylinder and slide

received a nice christmas present on 12/24 from bill laughridge

the gun is as on his site (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/fullsize/101333.jpg)

haven't had a chance to run any ammo through it yet--dry fires very nicely

all of my other guns are steel--any special recommendations for the care of stainless?

thanks for the thoughts and advic

happy new year!

kjo

·
Registered
220 Posts
2cats said:
shoulda called Karl Sokol . . . (not you kjo - samray)

So kjo - where's the gun coming from?
2cats, ...................have a nice day

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Re: Custom

BillD said:
Why would you want to do that?

Hello BillD,

My reply to kjo was intended on the basis that it was his first gun and or his first 1911 and was going to be used for personal protection. The reason he would want to spend some time with a revolver is that in my experience, I was able to develop trigger control. Some take to the 1911 single action well at first while many others do not do as well due to the light triger. If you start out with an 11-13 pound double action revolver and move to a traditional double action auto, and then a Glock you will be better prepared to shoot and carry the 1911. Again, I am only thinking this was a first tme 1911 buyer.

The reason I advised him to aquire a factory 1911 was that in my own experience as well as those I know personaly that have spent $1500-$4000 on 1911's end up with a gun that has to be sent out for 2-6 months when repair time comes. If the high price custom is the way to go, you need to buy 2. One for back up, one for shooting. Kimber and Smith & Wesson have an excellent product with an excellent repair turn around. Again, just my thoughts.

For 2cats, I have had several guns built by Karl Sokal and I am in the company of some well known in the gun industry who carry thiers daily such as Evan K. Marshall and Mass Ayoob. Karl just built the first known 10mm officers model. Custom barrel, custom mags, nice gun. Have you been able to make that Caspian do the 3rd stage of the IDPA quals in less than 38.90 such as my Karl Sokal modified REVOLVER has? I miss shooting with you 2cats....

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Et tu, samray . . .

Well, good thing kjo went the C&S route. I just responded to an e-mail from samray in which he told me that he was over at a mutual friends customizing his factory 1911 (which he got after shooting a double action revolver for 3-5 years; before that, he used a dull spoon).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: 38.90?!

2cats,,,,,you were there. It occured at Sara Spa a few years ago. Mr. Triggerman recalls it as well. I believe your reaction at the time was somthing about revolvers being inherently more accurate than auto's. I contend it is the person running the trigger. You do realize that there is competent talent in your area that could service that 9mm.

2cats said:
Who was shooting your gun?!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I say bull, I don't care who you know and how well you shoot. Most people are better off practicing with the 1911 for 3 to 5 years, rather than shooting a revolver for 3 to 5 years and then switching to a 1911. With that mentality Lance Armstrong should work out on a old balloon tire Schwinn for the upcoming bike racing season:rolleyes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Who cares

UdontnoME said:
I say bull, I don't care who you know and how well you shoot. Most people are better off practicing with the 1911 for 3 to 5 years, then shooting a revolver for 3 to 5 years and the switching to a 1911. With that mentality Lance Armstrong should work out on a old balloon tire Schwinn for the upcoming bike racing season:rolleyes:
I am so glad you are on this earth to make me aware that you exist. Hope to see you at the Winter Championships at S&W.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts